Questions about cold weather golf

Coachfrizz

Reaction score
Handicap
GHIN 7.0
How much does the cold air affect distance? I have been playing in sub 50 degree weather lately and the ball seems to just die. I haven't been playing that long and this is the first winter I have ever had time to play. Just curious

it affected me by about 10-25 yards but I live in alabama

On cold days, below 45 or so, I find that I lose maybe 10% on drives and 5% distance w/ irons. Not too big of a deal. One trick I like is to keep a hand warmer in my pocket with an extra ball and switch out for a warm ball every other hole. Not sure if it really does much but it helps the confidence.

What I really like are 85-100 degrees days, the ball just goes on and on.

I've heard it can be up to 7 yards for each 20*F .. so if your playing in 45 degree weather rather than 85* weather, it can probably be roughly 10-15... but aca or any of the other answers could be right but . That's just how I judge it

The ball does not compress as usual...people recommend that u keep your ball in your pocket to keep it warm.

That might be true mad dog but that might not save you. If my high school physical science class memory is right when the air is cold, the particles aren't moving as fast. Particles not moving as fast mean you have something to hit into. Just my two cents.

Well When I play in the summer it is 95 to 105 outside and when I played the other day it way 38. It is a big difference. It felt like where i should of been hitting a 8 iron I was hitting a 5 or 6. Just seemed like it wasn't going anywhere

I'm not sure then if there is a certain guideline. Ask around and I'm sure you will be able to find a "winter ball"

I was curious so I did a google search and found this article. It says
"high compression balls will not go as far as low compression balls when the mercury drops below about 50 degrees. And if you store them in a cold climate, like your trunk or garage, they'll harden, which will result in more sting on your mis-hits."

Read more:http://www.golf.com/golf/special/article/0,28136,1670092,00.html

I knew I was losing distance but didn't realize a high compression ball and how you store the ball makes a difference.

I usually take one extra club if its below 45f

I saved a bunch of Nike Power Soft I had laying around intending to play them this winter but I just can't bring myself to stray from my regular ball.

Out past about 150 yards or so I usually take an extra club also. I think using handwarmers to keep the ball warm might not be legal. You can keep balls in your pocket but I don't think you can warm them artificially

It's usually a one to two club difference for me and depending on the wind, it could be more. I play a low compression ball (precept laddie) and I do keep my balls in my pants prior to teeing off.

i would hope you keep 'em in your pants AFTER you tee off too.......hahahaha.... I play year round and find that its a different game, but like all have said, club up and use a low compression ball and enjoy the roll you get off of the hard fairways...i also find that i have to play short of the greens on real cold days because if not....the ball bounces off 'em...LOL.

i would hope you keep 'em in your pants AFTER you tee off too.......hahahaha.... I play year round and find that its a different game, but like all have said, club up and use a low compression ball and enjoy the roll you get off of the hard fairways...i also find that i have to play short of the greens on real cold days because if not....the ball bounces off 'em...LOL.

hehe funny stuff Bird! yep you almost have to play link style golf and play the pitch and run on those really cold days where the ground is still frozen.

I agree that the ball travels a noticeable distance less. All I try to do is hit a lower trajectory and that seems to help a little but I can't always pull it off.

Ball just doesn't fly. Played last weekend, started in the 30's things weren't too bad, but as it cooled off I started adding clubs rapidly. By the last couple of holes took a 5 iron to go 150 and that’s a 9 iron any other time. Also as a side note when hitting a little fat during the cold weather be prepared for some aching hands the next day. Mine are still throbbing.

Back