Gummi Bear

Sporadic Golfer
Reaction score
Handicap
Bean Dip
So: my resolution this year is to walk more than I ride when playing.

I've called a few courses, to see how their fee structure works (online all prices include green + cart)

So far, none of them offer a discount to those walking?

How does that make any sense? It's less impact to the course, and less wear on their equipment.

Please help me understand.

GB,
It is easy to figure out. Your first mistake is trying to use any kind of logic when thinking about this. hehe

All public course here I've played at allow you to walk and at a discount. Cart fee is normally around $12-25.

That is weird GB, at my home course the cart adds $13 per 18. At least that is if you're a member since cart fees aren't included in the membership cost.

All the courses I can think of have a separate charge for carts too. Higher-end courses might be different but you don't see me out on those that often!

It the same here as what Monty and Smalls said. Cart fees are usually 12-25 and the nicer courses include it in their prices. Most of the nice courses around here wont let you walk because of the terrain.

We've got courses here that are muni, managed by the city; muni, managed by a private management company; and public courses that are privately owned.

Some allow walking, some don't.

The ones that do though, many don't offer a discount to walkers, and that's what started this whole darn thread.

The course that started this discussion (privately owned public course): http://www.bearcreek-golf.com/

A nice local muni, no walking allowed: http://www.arlingtongolf.com/default.aspx?tabid=81

Most of the nice courses around here wont let you walk because of the terrain.

that's load of doo doo when courses say that

i would tell them i've got the soul of a mountain goat

there is a course here (glen eagle CC) and they require you to ride on the weekends... I hate to ride, refused, and they CHARGED me 7 dollars to walk!!!!!!

Most courses here in (Arizona) the cart fee is included during the winter. Some allow you to walk during the summer but not to many people do that. I was always told that it is faster with carts than with players walking and here during the winter the courses are trying to get as many people around the course in the fastest time possible. This month the course I work at is averaging 260 rounds (9 & 18 holes) a day for 9 hours worth of tee times.

Now, I always have walked, but...

could walking perhaps slow down play, and higher end courses don't want that (they fit in fewer people)? If someone can require a fee, you can be sure they will, and perhaps that's enough justification?

It definitely slows down play at busier courses.

of course it slows the course down... carts help them squeeze out as many tee times as possible

Carts don't always slow down play; have you ever played cart path only? You walk a lot more than if you were not using a cart.
I prefer riding unless it's our executive course (which doesn't even have carts!). But cart path only sucks. (Necessary evil after heavy rains so you don't tear up the course, but still sucks!)

Carts don't always slow down play; have you ever played cart path only? You walk a lot more than if you were not using a cart.

+1

Plus, two people in one cart hitting balls in different directions = a lot of wasted time.

I still think walking is the best option, but if courses think it's a pace of play issue and make carts mandatory, they need to invest in those Segway golf carts.

segway4.jpg
SegwayCaddy2.jpg

I don't really buy into the whole 'it slows down play' argument.

It takes me 4 to 4½ hours to play a round at most places, with a cart. It seems to take me 4 to 4½ hours to walk.

The difference is, instead of waiting around for the group in front of me, I'm always moving.

My course timed rounds last year when they allowed walkers for the summer months. On average the walking golfer took 20-25 minutes longer to finish a round. Many courses are not set up with the next tee box right next to the green and walking would definitely slow play down.

My course timed rounds last year when they allowed walkers for the summer months. On average the walking golfer took 20-25 minutes longer to finish a round. Many courses are not set up with the next tee box right next to the green and walking would definitely slow play down.

I was looking for a study on this, didn't find one. I've heard it both ways, it would seem to take longer in carts if the playing partners hit separate ways on most shots. I didn't take into account the walk to tee boxes if they aren't next to the previous green. Good info

We have a course in Kansas City that used to (been a long time since I played it) have 5 x 10 cart on rails you could get into after one hole and take it up to the next hole (it was a huge hill). Then when you got up there you would send it back down for the next group of walkers. If it was broken, they would keep a marshall there to give people a ride up.

But one course I played last year (Teetering Rocks, which is just over 4,000 yards) would be pretty tough to walk since there are long distances between holes, and there are a LOT of step inclines.

Anecdotal evidence doesn't count, but as lefty married to Mr. Slice who has to drive the cart to chase down every ball he hits, walking is faster. Well, basically I always walk; the only issue is if I carry my clubs in a carry bag or in my hands.

Besidies, I LIKE to walk. And I'd rather pay up for a course with tee times 10 minutes apart, anyway.

that's load of doo doo when courses say that

i would tell them i've got the soul of a mountain goat

or a Alpaca or Donkey or?

I don't really buy into the whole 'it slows down play' argument.

It takes me 4 to 4½ hours to play a round at most places, with a cart. It seems to take me 4 to 4½ hours to walk.

I agree, I walked this morning and it took me just about 3 hours.

or a Alpaca or Donkey or?

I agree, I walked this morning and it took me just about 3 hours.

I'd kill for a three hour round!

around here you have a lot of bad golfers, a lot of :bicker: and a lot of looking for the ball when it is clearly lost :confused2:

essentially, I get stuck out there regardless of whether I walk or ride :cool:

I'd kill for a three hour round!

around here you have a lot of bad golfers, a lot of :bicker: and a lot of looking for the ball when it is clearly lost :confused2:

essentially, I get stuck out there regardless of whether I walk or ride :cool:

Just go early, I teed off at about 6:15, sunrise was about 6:30. Its hard to see on the first hole, but it is worth it.

Just go early, I teed off at about 6:15, sunrise was about 6:30. Its hard to see on the first hole, but it is worth it.

yeah... I do that sometimes as well. I tee off very early and treat that round as if it is a tournament. Then I'll grab a quick lunch and hop back out for another 18... this time, since I know it will be slow I simply use those holes to work on issues I had in my first "real" round

Back