Masters 2009 Field

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks for the information JB.

I have a question about the field... now, I love The Masters but why do they let people like Crenshaw into the field? I mean, he's had a wonderful career and you can never count anyone out but I'd rather see the spot left for younger players who are trying to break in

• Admin
It says it right there on the site. Crenshaw has a lifetime in the field because he was a past winner.

hmm... yeah I mean it makes sense but takes away some spots

Raymond Floyd as well

Does anyone remember how Nicklaus got his invite to the '86 Masters?

• Admin
The same can be said for every tournament DD. Check out Nicklaus in 86...

EDIT: Harry beat me to it.

hmm... yeah I mean it makes sense but takes away some spots

Raymond Floyd as well

How does it take away spots when these former champs have earned the right to be there? Sure, they may or may not be competitive, but the same can be said about "the younger players" you refered to. Most of these players step aside when they feel they are just taking a spot, but they have more than earned a right to be there no matter how competitive they are. As for the "younger players" all they have to do is win a tournament and they get their way in.

The same can be said for every tournament DD. Check out Nicklaus in 86...

EDIT: Harry beat me to it.

Actually, I was really wondering if anyone remembers if he got in solely from his lifetime exemption, or if he got an invite for another reason, like money list.

I guess I am really curious as to who you think will not be in that one of these guys is taking a spot from?

Harry, IIRC it was his exemption.

Actually, I was really wondering if anyone remembers if he got in solely from his lifetime exemption, or if he got an invite for another reason, like money list.

In 1985 he tied for 6th. Don't like the top 16 from the year before make it in the next year?

That is correct Smalls. My memory is failing me. The top 16 from the previous year get a pass.

DLIII or Larry Mize? no brainer there...

Honestly, I had to look it up!

DD,
How are those younger guys that are losing a spot?

I think the thing is...the Masters has been set up this way for a long time and there has always been the argument made about players past their prime showing up and playing, but it is what it is. I don't think any player would blame a former winner for not being able to play, that blame falls on the player for not playing their way in.

I dunno DD. I like that the green jacket entitles you to a lifetime exemption -- something even a PGA tour lifetime exemption can't get you. For one, it's part of the mystique, but on a practical note, it adds significantly to the value of a win at Augusta beyond that of other tournaments. The rights and emoluments that come with the green jacket are part of the reason that the field and the competition at the Masters is always rich. I also have no problem with a couple of the old farts playing beyond their prime as permitting them to do so really has no effect on who else is admitted to play. It's not like the Masters hands out an additional competitive spot when they learn one of their old-fart green jacket holders has decided not to play, or has passed away for that matter. So I'm alright with it.

Anyway, as we're on the subject, here's an interesting article from a few years back when the Masters instituted a short-lived change in policy concerning the lifetime exemption for no-longer-even-close-to-competitive holders of the green jacket: http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0HFI/is_4_54/ai_100839586. I think it's a pretty interesting read.

Feinstein's book on the Majors also has a nice little discussion about the ceremonial tee off and the green jacket exemption. Pages 77-80 or so.

They can always play better if they want to play in the Masters, or win a tournament....

Im with you C Mac. There is 18 ways to get in, 4 of those are for amateurs. I think the format works, everyone usually rises to the occasion.

The past champions really aren't "taking" a spot in the field from anyone. Since the fields size is already small, but variable (90-95 players normally, compared to 140-160 in other tour events and some other majors), the tournament committee has plenty of space to allow for additional players if they felt another category was needed.

As a golf fan I have two other thoughts on this:
1) The couple of time I got to go to the Masters, one of the things I liked best was getting to see some of the past greats. I am a huge Tiger fan, but getting to follow the trio of Jack, Arnie, and Player was better in my book due to the rarety.
2) I think the limited field and qualifications makes it a notch more special for the tour pro who gets in. These guys do not take entry for granted, and you will hear some of them talk about striving for that invitation (even more important than a victory would be). DLIII is a perfect example of this.

Back