New 2009 Burner Irons

GoldenHawk

Reaction score
Handicap
Hi guys,

Second day on the site, and I was wondering what your thoughts were on the new Taylor Made Burner irons. Are they a good club for someone with about a 12 handicap? They seem fairly light, also I wasn't sure what level of stiffness i should get ( I swing fairly fast) but I was told by an employee at golf town that the 85 gram shaft might be too light for me? I have trouble believing that but wasn't certain. They seem to get great reviews in Golf Digest.

Thanks in advance for any help,
Jordan

Welcome to THP glad you joined us. I was just about to make a post about these irons. They are great irons and I have had the chance to take them on the course a few times this month. I will warn anybody buying them that it will take you a few rounds to get used to them though. Because they are the LONGEST (distance wise) irons I have ever seen. That is why many of the PGA guys are not using them. Because they were seeing a full club length distance difference and while that may sound great to guys like us amateurs, to many pros, that is a problem for gaps.

As for Golf Digest reviews, I base nothing on that. I would say try them out and if you like the way they setup and look and they feel good when making contact, they are perfect for you.

They are a GREAT IRON!

Welcome to THP Jordan.

My Hockey coach just bought them yesterday and I was with him, I'd assume he is around a 13 handicap, he was hitting them with no problem. I reccomend these Irons for you.

They are easy to hit but like JB said they are long, the irons themselves are longer than standard and they are lofted about one club stronger....get a gap wedge.

whats the difference between the Burner and the Burner Plus irons?

the new ones (09)...its hard to keep em all straight
Burner
Burner Plus
Tour Burner
Tour Preferred

geez

Yes, the Burner 09 ones come 4 iron thru PW and come with an AW. I hit them at the range and really liked them. Seemed very easy to hit.

You are going to love them Hawk

One other quick question...I am assuming I dont really need to get them any longer than they are off the rack (I am about 6'1'' or 6'2'') especially given the 4 and 5 iron are longer than typical lengths of the clubs. Any advice there?

I would say get fitted as I do for most. However I can tell you that at 6'1 standard length for the Burners seems to fit according to TM fitters. But I do recommend getting the lie angle fitted if you can.

When you get them come back on here and show us some pictures.

One other quick question...I am assuming I dont really need to get them any longer than they are off the rack (I am about 6'1'' or 6'2'') especially given the 4 and 5 iron are longer than typical lengths of the clubs. Any advice there?

It doesn't always depend on your height, your swing comes into play too and other measurements. Stewart Cink is almost 6'5" and uses standard length clubs, I'm 6'2" and I use 1/2" to 3/4" longer depending on the brand. The only way to know for sure is to let a pro/fitter take a look at your swing. Having said that after seeing lots of other people who have been fit into these, standard (fr this set) will more than likely work.

Iron length has more to do with arm length (technically, wrist to floor length) than height. I'm 6'3-6'4 and my irons are only +1/2".

Best option is to get fitted for length and lie angle. It's pretty important.

Harry what's wrong? Two of us beat you this time, we need Claire back to keep you on your toes. j/k

I usually order 1/4" - 1/2" over, these were ordered standard length. Have played graphite for over 20 years (played a lot of winter golf in NJ), ordered in steel. Played 6 rounds with the '09 Burners in FL 2 weeks ago and found them to be a fine club but also found 6 of 7 clubs off 1 degree soft when loft was checked. Easily bent and corrected.

Ordered the second set last week for NJ and included the AW. Also, changed from the Wynn PCI to GP New Decade. Why..........it's a new season.... :)

Back