JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Have you ever done a golf ball fitting? I see so many players pick and choose balls based on one reason or another and we had the thread that says "why did you choose your golf ball?" So my question further is have you ever done a ball fitting? I had not until recently and surprisingly had a great time learning about different things. I went with 5 other guys all of which played the same ball. All of them were playing the "wrong ball" according to the fitting and have been playing better since switching.

We seem to go to so many measures with clubs and grips and shafts, but most just pick up a ball "because". Why do we skip something that is just as crucial as the heads of our clubs?

yup... my local shop works different balls into your fitting to see what works best with what... once I was fitted for my equipment they threw 20 swings or so with each different ball, gathered the raw data, and compared the stats to see what was the best ball for my game

it's pretty awesome

• Admin
Im surprised you were fitted for that ball then DD. After going through the fitting and playing with you I would have thought for sure it would have been something different. But the data does not lie.

yeah... I was surprised myself. It sort of a compromise... the prov1x gets me more carry/total distance off the tee but my iron stats dont match up as well with the ball so I lose some spin/distance

• Admin
I would have thought for sure with your swing speed being close to mine that the ProV1 or ProV1x would not have been in your top five. It was ranked 9th on my list at the fitting and 7th at the store trial I got similar to yours.

I jumped into the booth real quick this weekend, as an old friend is now back at the store... driver ss came in at 100MPH but I didnt get any ball stats, just overall carry information

what do you think would be the best ball for me?

I've never had the opportunity for a ball fitting, but I would love to do it. I spent days and days picking out clubs based on actual hitting at demo days, but I just try different balls based on marketing descriptions and anecdotal evidence. There are so many variables in a round (and I only use one model of ball per round) that it's difficult to tell whether it's the ball or my swing.

• Admin
I jumped into the booth real quick this weekend, as an old friend is now back at the store... driver ss came in at 100MPH but I didnt get any ball stats, just overall carry information

what do you think would be the best ball for me?

We will get you onto the monitor this weekend and see.

We will get you onto the monitor this weekend and see.

works for me... whatever will help my game the most!

Ive never done a ball fitting, Id definetly do it though if I ever got the chance.

I never knew such a thing existed. I'll have to check it out next time I'm there.

I've never had the opportunity for a ball fitting, but I would love to do it. I spent days and days picking out clubs based on actual hitting at demo days, but I just try different balls based on marketing descriptions and anecdotal evidence. There are so many variables in a round (and I only use one model of ball per round) that it's difficult to tell whether it's the ball or my swing.

Oh..it's gotta be the ball Harry

I Never Knew A Ball Fitting existed Either when I go get mynew clubs tomorrow I'll ask the course pro If he will do it or if he knows someone that will do it for Me Till then I'm going with Maxfli Noodles this year guys.

I did a while back and I was told NXT Tour for best all around so thats whats been in my bag the other balls were NIKE ONE Black distance but lose accuracy and can't remember the accurate with no distance.

I only got 10 swings where I did it so I might go elsewhere to try again

I have never done a ball fitting, would be interested to see how much a difference the right ball would make for me.

Hey everyone,

Not sure if you know or not, but the Bridgestone Golf Challenge is a free ball-fitting program we use with regionally based teams that travel the U.S. Here is a link to schedule.

http://bridgestonegolf.com/en/fitting/search.aspx

In just 1.5 years we've done over 14,000 fittings nationwide and it is astonishing how many golfers are playing the wrong golf ball for their swing. According to our stats, over 70% of people are playing the wrong ball. Now, I know what you're thinking... probably marketing mumbo jumbo, but the truth is for about 7 out of ever 10 people tested we can improve their accuracy and their distance off the tee and with irons by just switching to a ball better suited for their swing. The Bridgestone ball-fitting takes into account swing speed, ball speed, launch angle, sidespin, backspin, carry distance and total distance with a driver and if you like an 8-iron to accurately determine which ball is best for you. We first measure all of those characteristics of the ball you're currently playing, and then we give you a report card (print out) of what your ideal numbers should be, then we make a suggestion as to whether or not we have a ball that is better suited for you, and the we measure the same characteristics/results with that ball. It doesn't work for everyone and we're not shy about telling golfers when their current ball is better for them than anything we offer, but more often than not you can really improve your game by switching to a better suited ball. On average, the 70% of players we successfully switched have been shown to gain 12-yards off the tee. The science eye launch monitor we use in the testing is the exact same technology we use to fit our PGA TOUR players into the ball that best fits their needs too.

Some of you may believe in this and want to try it out and that's great. Some of you may think its hogwash and that's your prerogative too. But if you have any questions for me, I'm happy to answer whatever I can.

Last edited:
Hey everyone,

Not sure if you know or not, but the Bridgestone Golf Challenge is a free ball-fitting program we use with regionally based teams that travel the U.S. Here is a link to schedule.

http://bridgestonegolf.com/en/fitting/search.aspx

In just 1.5 years we've done over 14,000 fittings nationwide and it is astonishing how many golfers are playing the wrong golf ball for their swing. According to our stats, over 70% of people are playing the wrong ball. Now, I know what you're thinking... probably marketing mumbo jumbo, but the truth is for about 7 out of ever 10 people tested we can improve their accuracy and their distance off the tee and with irons by just switching to a ball better suited for their swing. The Bridgestone ball-fitting takes into account swing speed, ball speed, launch angle, sidespin, backspin, carry distance and total distance with a driver and if you like an 8-iron to accurately determine which ball is best for you. We first measure all of those characteristics of the ball you're currently playing, and then we give you a report card (print out) of what your ideal numbers should be, then we make a suggestion as to whether or not we have a ball that is better suited for you, and the we measure the same characteristics/results with that ball. It doesn't work for everyone and we're not shy about telling golfers when their current ball is better for them than anything we offer, but more often than not you can really improve your game by switching to a better suited ball. On average, the 70% of players we successfully switched have been shown to gain 12-yards off the tee. The science eye launch monitor we use in the testing is the exact same technology we use to fit our PGA TOUR players into the ball that best fits their needs too.

Some of you may believe in this and want to try it out and that's great. Some of you may think its hogwash and that's your prerogative too. But if you have any questions for me, I'm happy to answer whatever I can.

OK gain 12 yards off the tee.But do they post better scores?

OK gain 12 yards off the tee.But do they post better scores?

Jeff,

This is tough because at this point we haven't really incorporated a tracking system to show us the improved scores of players who went through our fittings over time using the reccommended ball. Right now we only know of what people are sending us, and it stands to reason that most people wouldn't take the time to send Bridgestone an email unless they were seeing marked improvement, so to that end all we really get is positive feedback sent in to our website. Based on the consumer feedback we've recieved many golfers are improving their scores as a result of finding the best ball for their game. In fact, in our latest ads (fan mail) those are actual consumers and their letters, not paid actors and a script. One important point that I forgot to mention in my initial post is that for whatever ball we recommend to a player, we provide a 2-ball sample sleeve so they can take it out on the course and get at least some real-life play before deciding if they want to purchase a sleeve or a dozen for more extended trial.

Well thanks for the reply and that 2 ball sample sounds like a winner.The proof is actual play and what better way to find out.

Well thanks for the reply and that 2 ball sample sounds like a winner.The proof is actual play and what better way to find out.

Happy to answer your question. I'm sure it is one that was on lots of people's minds. If you end up going through a ball-fitting I'd be curious to read what you experience and whether or not you end up seeing a value over the long haul.

bstonerjk what kind of a ball do you recommend to a player that after 3 1/2 years just started shooting in the low 100's last year and even broke 100 3 times in the last mo of the season, do not use my legs or hips much with my swing because I have cerebral palsy I'm all upper body. I was thinking of going with long and soft "Noodles" this year but took the survey on bridgestones site and it recommended your softest ball, can't rem what it was called green box though.

Noodles would work our well for you jcuray.

Noodles would work our well for you jcuray.

I agree Nike Karma and Wilson 50/50 are also good low compression options for you to look at.

Agreed AJ.

I agree Nike Karma and Wilson 50/50 are also good low compression options for you to look at.

Also the Precept IQ 180's. My mom plays them, and they actually spin well out of the sand.

Back