LPGA Scholarship Opportunities

Harry Longshanks

ILikeBigPutts&ICannotLie
Reaction score
College is freakin' expensive. Maybe you know a young woman who might qualify for one of these LPGA sponsored scholarships: http://www.lpga.com/content_1.aspx?mid=7&pid=10545

2009 Scholarship Opportunities

The LPGA Foundation currently administers three scholarships for young women who enjoy the game of golf, and plan to attend college in the fall of 2009. The Dinah Shore Scholarship will be given to a female high school senior who played golf during high school, but will not be playing collegiate golf. The Marilynn Smith Scholarship will be awarded to two high school seniors who will be playing golf at the collegiate level; and The Phyllis G. Meekins Scholarship will be a need-based award to a high school senior from a recognized minority background who will be playing golf at the collegiate level. Qualifications for all scholarships include strong academic programs, community service and recommendations.

Recipients for the Dinah Shore, Marilynn Smith, and Phyllis G. Meekins Scholarships will be notified by July 31, 2009.

The Dinah Shore Scholarship

The Dinah Shore Scholarship was established in 1994 by The LPGA Foundation to honor the late Dinah Shore, a graduate of Vanderbilt University, a Hollywood entertainer, and an honorary member of the LPGA Tour Hall of Fame. The Dinah Shore Scholarship is granted annually to a female high school senior who is pursuing a college education, but will not be playing collegiate golf. The Dinah Shore Scholarship receives tremendous support from Kraft Foods, Inc., the Fund's largest corporate donor, and the Kraft Nabisco Championship, one of the LGPA Tour's four major championships.

One scholarship in the amount of $5,000.00 will be awarded in 2009.
Click here for the application.>>

The Marilynn Smith Scholarship

The Marilynn Smith Scholarship is granted annually through The LPGA Foundation and the Marilynn Smith Scholarship Fund. Established in 1999 by Marilynn with the proceeds of a golf tournament she organized, the objective of the Marilynn Smith Scholarship is to provide a scholarship to a female high school senior who has played golf in high school or in her community, and is planning to play golf at an accredited college or university in the United States.

Two scholarships in the amount of $3,000.00 each, will be awarded in 2009. Click here to download the application.>>

The Phyllis G. Meekins Scholarship

The Phyllis G. Meekins Scholarship is granted annually through The LPGA Foundation and the Phyllis G. Meekins Scholarship Fund. Established in 2006, the objective of the Phyllis G. Meekins Scholarship is to provide a need-based scholarship to a female high school senior from a recognized minority background (see Scholarship Criteria), who will be pursuing a full-time course of study and playing collegiate golf at an
accredited college or university in the United States.

One scholarship in the amount of $1,250.00 will be awarded in 2009.
Click here to download the application.>>

I've had my eye on the Dinah Shore one for Boo for a few years now...

I've had my eye on the Dinah Shore one for Boo for a few years now...

So are you saying she's not going to be playing golf in college? :tongue: A little extra for college is always a good thing. Wish I would have looked into scholarships when I was going. I may have actually finished.

Not sure I'd want a kid playing a varsity sport at a division one school. I've got this weird thing about wanting them to have an education. Now if she went to Pocket Protector U. like I did--oh wait, no golf there. See--Dinah Shore.

Not sure I'd want a kid playing a varsity sport at a division one school. I've got this weird thing about wanting them to have an education. Now if she went to Pocket Protector U. like I did--oh wait, no golf there. See--Dinah Shore.

Hey if the education comes on someone else's dime who cares. :laugh: I know what you mean. But still if she could get a "free ride" plus play golf it's a win-win. I'm pretty sure your kids wouldn't screw something like that up. Now my kids (when they come along) I'm sure would be doing keg stands and hitting tee shots from Bud light cans. :banana: :alien2:

Yeah--we went to Hubby's college reunion in June, and in the kids' camp they had them all playing "water pong." Geez, I never ever heard of Beer Pong until I met Hubby, and they had my 8 year old playing the kids' version.

They will end up going to grad school anyway, that is the way it is lately. So you might as well play a sport in undergrad (if you have the ability to do it!) and save money for the additional grad years.

They will end up going to grad school anyway, that is the way it is lately. So you might as well play a sport in undergrad (if you have the ability to do it!) and save money for the additional grad years.

yup... wish I knew that! I dropped 47K a year for four years (thanks Bowdoin!) only to realize a BA is like a HSD thirty years ago - pretty standard

Back