Serious Loss of Distance

keto

Reaction score
Handicap
This might be too generic for a non-filmed diagnostic, but let me set this up.

-I'm 48, 6'0", 180lbs, quite flexible, not overly strong but neither am I weak
-people always tell me what a good looking swing I have, and overestimate how far I have hit the ball
-if I hit a driver right on the screws, I might make 220 but average is more like 200-210
-my tendancy is to a slight fade, bad one a slice... I NEVER draw or hook the driver
-6i swing speed on the local sim is 75-80
-but I can barely hit that 6i 140, 7i about 130
-I hit my irons quite straight, miss would be a fade not slice
-with my flexibility, I get a good shoulder and hip turn
-my grip has been checked and is decent, neutral to *slightly* strong
-my legs are my weakest point and my balance isn't fantastic, but I'm not falling down or stepping out of shots or anything like that.

I feel like I should be able to hit a modern ball and driver (K15) 230-240 in my sleep. I used to hit an old blade 7i 140-145 going back 20 years. Now I have GI clubs that should easily exceed that, even if we allow that I'm not quite as supple or strong as I was then.

Self diagnosis: 1) I am gripping too hard and 2) steering and 3) not releasing and lastly 4) not quite trapping the ball like I think I should be.

What drills or training might be in order here?

**EDIT** I've been swinging in the garage and figured out that a) my top hand grip was weak, causing me to b) play the ball too far forward, which of course puts more upward slant on the clubface. I figured it out from a tip about taking top hand grip first, forming a line down to the ball, and then checking what I can see....turns out 0 knuckles, have to turn my hand back a wee bit to match with what I've been doing with the bottom hand (which is a more proper slightly strong grip) I've shortened my backswing for more control and, surprise, the club is coming thru the zone much more powerfully and down. At the same time, this is all allowing me to release better, or at least feel like I'm releasing as I finish a more complete follow through - much less feeling of steering, which may have been due to getting loose during the overlong backswing. I haven't hit a ball with this train of thought yet, but hope the rain stops long enough for a range session tomorrow.

Oh, and to Jean - I would if I could, but there's no GTEC up here in Canada, or at least western Canada, that I'm aware of.

Last edited:
Not to step on Andy but with a few slight mods this is my story. I went to GolfTEC and had the analysis. Finally got some drills and am getting my length PLUS back. Never going to be 30 YO again but that's OK

Back