• Total voters

Vadim

Reaction score
Handicap
What are your thoughts on this?

Driver and irons= 1 practice swing per shot
Pitch and chips= 3 practice swings per chip
Putts= 3 practice putts

1-2 practice swings on driver/iron/wedge shots. 2 on putting to get a feel for the distance.

Usually just take one practice swing if its a straight shot but take a couple if im having to really shape a shot or just so I can get the feel if its a tough shot.

Always take 2 on putting to judge distance to the hole. I look at the hole while im doing that.

This is my routine. As far as thoughts go they vary all over the place. For example I just saw Dave Stockton advocating a very quick set up and putt routine. I can totally see the benifit from this as the long you stand over a putt, the more time you have to mess it up by letting negative thoughts come into your head.

I try not to do a "set" amount of swings because I don't want to feel rushed to pull the trigger when I don't quite feel it. Not that that means I'm standing there doing 20 practice swings either though. It really just depends on the shot.

Pretty solid two practice swings for everything.

If you play with JB, you pretty much start doing whatever it is you do. As the round progresses, you start going up, aiming and hitting the ball!

EDIT: And pretty much end up hitting the same shots you usually do! Maybe even a little better since you aren't worried about practice swings.

in the words of dave stockton, do any of you ever take a practice "stroke" before you sign your signature? :)

On a normal shot I take two practice swing...same with putter. If I'm sitting in some thick rough, or other narly lie, I'll take a few more to get a better feel for the shot.

Typically one practice swing while standing behind the ball and then line up and swing away.

Practice swings hurt me for the most part so I don't take them at all unless there is an issue of whether or not my stance is going to allow me to swing without falling over. So if I have a very awkward stance I will usually try a swing or two as a means of making sure I can stand my ground.

I don't have a set routine. Never practice swing on putts. Rarely practice swing in the fairway unless I'm killing time. Sometimes on the tee but not always. Now, chipping... Chipping I always take several practice swings until I feel the right swing. I also take practice swings on tough shots such as out of the woods (too often :D) or similar.

I usually play fairly quickly, so not a whole bunch of practice swings. My course has a pace of play policy, and I am sure that is a major reason why. If there wasn't, or I know there is no one behind me I generally take a little longer to set up. I think I would play better if I played a bit slower (more practice swings or more thought into each shot), but I have a hard time playing slow. That said, a couple of practice swings is okay; but I can't stand when people take like 10 practice strokes. That's what the range is for!

Sometimes I dont even have a practice swing when I'm teeing off. Once in a while I will but I don't have a method to my madness. With putting, I take 2 practice strokes behind the ball while looking directly at the hole and then another 2 practice strokes a few steps back from address. Pitting and chipping shots I will do 3 practice swings to get a feel for the distances.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 practice swing, stand behind the ball and pick my target a few feet in front of the ball and then hit the ball.

I will take a little longer with a feel shot.

I guess my pre shot routine takes about 15 seconds.

Sent from my iPhone so please ignore my horrid typing mistakes

Sort of depends on how I'm swinging the club on a given day. I like to put a good practice swing out before I step up to the ball, but there are days when I can't even do that.

I don't have a set routine, I'll take a practice swing or two before a routine shot just to get a feel for the club and set my feet and go. If it's a chip shot or a feel shot, I'll take a few more to visualise the shot or get familiar with the lie.

when i dont take at least 1 practice swing i tend to fat/top the ball alot more

when i dont take at least 1 practice swing i tend to fat/top the ball alot more

I'd say I'm like that as well... but then I'm actually worse at doing practice swings than I am at actually striking the ball - I either make a fat practice swing, or the thinnest of thin practice swings, so most of the time I don't and just wing it!

I'll never forget the time I was at the driving range and there was this family there with their two kids [~8 and ~10 years old] trying to hit balls. The parents stood behind them and screamed "50 PRACTICE SWINGS BEFORE YOU HIT A BALL!"

Varies for me, but usually it's 2-3 swings to get my tempo dialed in. Sometimes it works, sometimes not.

Most of the time I don't take a practice shot. If the shot is an iffy shot I might take 1 practice swing. For putting I may swing the putter a little to get the feel for the distance. But I play fairly fast. I'm not playing on tour for big money, so it's not a life or death situation. I play to enjoy the game.

I'd say I'm like that as well... but then I'm actually worse at doing practice swings than I am at actually striking the ball - I either make a fat practice swing, or the thinnest of thin practice swings, so most of the time I don't and just wing it!

I'll never forget the time I was at the driving range and there was this family there with their two kids [~8 and ~10 years old] trying to hit balls. The parents stood behind them and screamed "50 PRACTICE SWINGS BEFORE YOU HIT A BALL!"

hahaha... holy moly... i guess those kids were either super hyper and the parents were trying to wear them out so they could sleep... orrrr... the parents are freeeeeaks

I take a practice swing about half the time.
It really depends on how I hit shots on the previous hole.
If the swing felt good, then I won't practice swing, but if not, then I will.
But after that, I always use the same pre-shot routine.

1. stand behind the ball
2. feel the wind
3. pick my aim point
4. picture the shot
5. address the ball
6. check my aim point
7. one easy breath
8. swing

hahaha... holy moly... i guess those kids were either super hyper and the parents were trying to wear them out so they could sleep... orrrr... the parents are freeeeeaks

The latter.
If you've ever seen the Family Guy episode where parents were asking if their kid was a doctor yet... and then said "talk to me when you're a doctor!" it was the same situation... just insert a famous golfer's name there instead.

Rarely take a practice swing on the tee box, as the lie should be perfect and the tee heights(driver) should be the same. Now, from the fairway, ususally 1, unless funky lie. From the rough(majority) maybe 2, more if it's deep or funky. Chipping, until I feel I've got the right feel, could be one, could be 10. Putting, again, next to the ball, watching the cup, or point of big breaker, until I feel I've got the right speed, then step up and and swing.

Back