BEST flat screen TV

No_Three_Jacks

Amateur around scratch
Reaction score
Handicap
What do you guys consider to be the best TV on the market? Im looking for 3 things. And they are ordered in importance

1) Crystal clear Picture
2) Great sound quality (im not going to install surround sound in every corner but would like a tv to sound similar to surround sound)
3) BIG BIG BIG

what altitude are you at? have you compared LCD vs. LED? Im personally a fan of LED but others prefer LCD. If I were to buy a new TV this year it would be an Samsung LED. Another thing to keep in mind is wifi connectivity- do you want to use your tv to stream netflix, youtube, vimeo, ect?

TY

what altitude are you at? have you compared LCD vs. LED? Im personally a fan of LED but others prefer LCD. If I were to buy a new TV this year it would be an Samsung LED. Another thing to keep in mind is wifi connectivity- do you want to use your tv to stream netflix, youtube, vimeo, ect?

TY

lol.... ummm, what?

Im so out of the dark on TVs!! Help me. :(

I have two Samsung and love them.

Love my Sharp Aquos LED... And now they are coming out with a 70" unit

Sharp with the Quattron tech which adds better yellows is really good....

N3J:

You can get a lot of good opinions here, but I suggest you ask this particular question and a site that specializes in this subject.

I go to a couple of HD forums for my HD related info. I actually met mytime at HDF.

Try these:

http://www.highdefjunkies.com/

or

http://www.highdefforum.com/

There's another called AVS, but it is HUGE and you won't get as personal responses. Good luck.

High Def Junkies is a very cool site, and they have let me promote THP on their site. I believe a couple of their admins signed up here (I haven't seen them post, but I know I saw their names).

I actually have TV's everywhere. Plasma, lcd. blah,blah blah. I got different ones to each room based on the lighting. Plasma allegedly is better when less light so in Bedrooms. LCD in brighter areas such as office on Lanai. The 61 inch is a smart TV that allegedly adjust to temperature and lighting all by itself. Now remember the key word is ALLEGEDLY ...

I recently bought a Samsung, while waiting for the clerk to bring it out of the backroom, I looked over at all the TVs from a distance and you could pick out every Samsung by the great picture quality. I know nothing of modern TV tech but my Son is an expert and he recommended Samsung (he has one) and laid out a list of what it should come with. Sound is much better than any TV we have had previously but not Surround Sound good. Shop around I saved $500 by buying it in person at Walmart, there online prices were higher, and other stores were much higher for the same TV.

In addition to the HD Forums above, if you can access Consumer Reports, they have very good info as well.

MY OPINION: DON'T BUY THE EXTENDED WARRANTY!

I work everyday with all types of AV and rent various brands of flat screens to all of my clients. I would
have to say the Samsung LED, Phillips micro Bessel or Sony will be your best bet. LED is the way to go at this point.
You can get LCD and Plasma diet cheap but if you want clarity, LED IS WHERE IT'S AT!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Honestly, there are so many good TV's out there, that what I would do is go to a well equipped store, and just start looking at them. Pick out a couple you like, go home, and look up info and reviews on the internet (I love CNET for this, but some don't.) Consider your budget, and if you ever plan on going 3D. Sound quality is not really something I can help you with, but here are a few starting points.

Look at the refresh rate: higher is better. It will be displayed in units called hertz (I think, lol)

Look at the contrast ratio. Higher is better. However, I have seen a lot of TVs with great contrast, but they looked like crap. Play this by eye. Basically, contrast is the difference between the whites and blacks. On a great screen, colors will be very sharp, and blacks will be, well, black. Not gray, black.

Look at the resolution, normally you want at least 720p, but at the sizes you are looking at, it has to be 1080p. This refers to the number of pixels located along the y (vertical) axis.

Connectivity. Will you be using the internet from your TV? If so, make sure to get a newer model that has this capability. How many devices do you want to hook up? I like to have at least 4 HDMI slots (this will let you hook up your HD devices, such as a Bluray player.) Any less than 3 and I would not bother. Also make sure it has ample component video cable plugins.

I can answer specific questions if you need, but this is just basic advice you should know about.

Samsung all the way. The picture on my parents is amazing. My next will be one as well.

Samsung all the way. I don't think many others can hold a candle to their technology and reliability

--
tapatalk

Personally, I am an LG person. I just love the picture quality and the price. I have a few Vizios also, but the LG tops out the Vizio. Whatever TV you get, just make sure you have the best quality method of delivery installed (best Coax cables from house to Cable Box, best HDMI cable from box to TV). I use all Monster Cables as they have always treated me great.

LG has some of the best rated and best looking LED's you can buy. Samungs are good but mostly overrated and overpriced too. Don't rely on what you see in the stores. Get the remote and do a reset of the settings before you decide. Then play a blue ray on it and see how it looks. But I agree go LED it's awesome.

Whenever you buy, and whatever you buy, check out livehotdeals.com (thanks, spank). We got our Panasonic (which has a better PQ than our bigger, more expensive Sharp) after finding it there.

Love the Samsung I've got at the house. Not too bad of a price tag and the size and picture are amazing.
You do however need to make sure you have all the right services and HDMI cables and such, but you probably knew that.
Best of luck in your search for your new TV.

Love the Samsung I've got at the house. Not too bad of a price tag and the size and picture are amazing.
You do however need to make sure you have all the right services and HDMI cables and such, but you probably knew that.
Best of luck in your search for your new TV.

And the best place to buy any cables?

http://www.monoprice.com

DO NOT BUY MONSTER CABLES!

I bought my LG LED in 55" and slammed my dad over how much better my picture was than their Sony bravia so he put it in their basement room and bought the samsung for the living room. On the same cable provider in HD his picture is better than mine. The colors just seem richer and the factory speakers are better. I'm a huge LG fan and gave him crap for buying the Sammy, till he plugged it in.

I bought my LG LED in 55" and slammed my dad over how much better my picture was than their Sony bravia so he put it in their basement room and bought the samsung for the living room. On the same cable provider in HD his picture is better than mine. The colors just seem richer and the factory speakers are better. I'm a huge LG fan and gave him crap for buying the Sammy, till he plugged it in.

I am just assuming that you did calibrate all the different sets? Because once they are calibrated correctly, you'll be thinking your PQ was carp before, when you thought it was excellent! Again, thanks to spank on this one too.

I am just assuming that you did calibrate all the different sets? Because once they are calibrated correctly, you'll be thinking your PQ was carp before, when you thought it was excellent! Again, thanks to spank on this one too.

Yeah I still go to the different forums and try out settings that the techies suggest. Standard settings aren't even close

Our Panasonic Plasma is 3 years old and we like it a lot. I didn't feel like drowning myself in online reviews and reaching analysis paralysis so I decided to go with a solid brand. Panasonic makes great phones, rechargeable batteries for a lot of OEMS, and among the BEST power tools in the world. Yes, power tools. I am not kidding!

When I bought ours Pioneer was hands down the cream of the crop. Also 3 times as much money as the Panasonic. Forget monster cables like Smallville advises. I bought our cables (3-4 HDMIs I believe) from Newegg for a fraction of the price of 1 monster cable. And do spend the coin on a QUALITY surge protector. Our TV was fried during a storm 3 weeks after warranty expired and Panasonic replaced the board for us free of charge. The $10 surge protector I had behind the TV was pure fail.

Samsung LED is the best you can buy IMO.

Otherwise if you're on a budget, I'd say VIZIO is actually overall quite impressive.

I saw a Samsung... 240hz 3D TV that was BEYOND perfect.
NO pixels to be seen, it looked like a flowing sheet of water instead of any pixels or image jitter.

Back