GP New Decade vs. VDR

JB I'm hearing quite the love lately for Pure Grips handling humidity, how difficult is it to get the grip on without the gun? I'd love to try one out.

Honestly, I dont know. I cant imagine any harder than any other grip really.

I install Pure's without the gun SW.

As to the OP's question: i find the VDR and the MC's to be vastly different grips. I have been playing Tour Velvets for a long time now and if/when I move on from them, I will be going to the VDR, as it just seems like the more natural progression. I am just not a fan of the MC's at all. I think they are way over priced and I think they would almost be worse in the humid conditions. FWIW, I had no issues with the Tour Velvets in Florida at all.

you and your buttery baby soft hands lol

I have VDR's on all my irons/wedges and I'm not planning on switching. Here's my thread on the VDR's. I find that the NDMC's get very slick when I get moisture on them (FL humidity and real sweaty hands). NDMC's also chewed up my hands pretty good. I've had my VDR's for a while now (Feb to be exact) and they look as good as new. Definitely will get one full year out of them maybe another 6 months if I wanted to push it. I religiously change grips around February (sooner if they're wearing quick like my Winn Lites) every year since we play 12 mos.

I have Winn Lites on my woods/hybrids (I just like the way they feel with those), but like you said I'm going through them pretty quick. I'm getting about 8 mos out of them.

Thanks Spank....I went back and read through your thread...(did not find it on the initial search due to the 3 word limit)..Looks like you got a super favorable response in that thread.
I know I hear that these are good in the humidity, but I currently play the normal tour velvets and have some issues with them in the extreme humidity we have been having.
Since these look to be slightly more cushiony replacements to the TV, I am a little worried.
Then I see all the comments on the NDMC's and get worried there as well...
Toss in the fact that I am going midsize to slow down my hand turn at impact and I narrow down my choices (color) even more....
I picked up a Midsize NDMC at Dick's last night but have not installed it... They didnt have any midsize VDR's.. (can get them from Golf Supply on Tuesday)
JB tossed out the X17 as a choice as well, but I have not been a fan of Winn grips....
Decisions, Decisions....

P.S. also, the GP site, when entering humidity as a 4 or 5 factor, points you away from the VDR and to the NDMC....

I don't think they're more cushiony than the TV's I'm not a huge fan of the TV's because of wear and these I think are more durable (not as durable I think like the NDMC's). I think GP steers you to NDMC's in humid conditions because of it's construction (half cord which in theory works better in wetter conditions). I think what's best here is to buy one of each and just try it out. You know and I know that I and GP can regurgitate every spec on paper about these grips (along with the Winn's which are worth a try) and bottom line is it boils down to user preference. Try them all out and in the end it's really up to you and the best part about grips is that if you regret your decision, it isn't hard or expensive to fix (in the general scheme of things). Good luck and have fun with it man!

you and your buttery baby soft hands lol

Oh and I need them so. Lotion FTW!

I went to the New Decade grips a few years ago from Tour Velvet because in addition to being slippery when wet, the Tour Velvets had to be replaced a couple of times per year.

The New Decade grips are really good in the humidity, I sweat plenty and do not wear a glove because a glove is soaked in one hole. The New Decade does well for me, On my driver it will last about a year and the irons last longer than that, just clean them if they start to feel slick. I play between 200-250 18 hole rounds per year.

I don't know about the VDR grips, I guess I would go to a full cord, maybe the Tour Velvet BCT, before going back to no cord at all.

I think I will install one of each and play a couple of rounds and see..thanks all for the insight....

Am going to have a red VDR installed on my driver monday. Two questions for everyone here:

1. What size are they standard?
2. Do they have midsize ones and if not, should I just ask the GG guy to make it Midsize (w/ tape)?

Thanks,
BulldogsGolf

Am going to have a red VDR installed on my driver monday. Two questions for everyone here:

1. What size are they standard?
2. Do they have midsize ones and if not, should I just ask the GG guy to make it Midsize (w/ tape)?

Thanks,
BulldogsGolf

They don't have midsize in any color other than black. You can ask them to tape it up but it's obviously to the user on how it feels as compared to a regular midsize one.

So, being kind of a novice to club building/putting together, I ask: How is feel different from a regular midsize grip to a non-midsize with tape wraps?

I am going midsize on all my clubs....
Have them on my backup Ping set...
I tend to get to "handsy" and turn the club of a little too quick through impact.....

I think I will install one of each and play a couple of rounds and see..thanks all for the insight....

I've been considering installing the VDR's into my scoring irons to get a better feel on tougher shots. I still love the GP New Decades and will not be changing in my woods and longer irons. They are the best grips I've ever used.

So, being kind of a novice to club building/putting together, I ask: How is feel different from a regular midsize grip to a non-midsize with tape wraps?

Theory really but one that does make some sense. First off there are some grips out there, my example are the Winn Lites, that you can't build too much or at all with tape (it has a rigid core that using extra tape won't really make the grip larger). You won't have that issue with the VDR's but, and this is where theory comes in because I don't think anyone really has put this to the test with factual numbers and/or scientific data to prove or disprove it, think of a balloon where the more air you put in it the more it stretches the balloon out and therefore the material is then thinned out as well. Same theory for a grip where the more you build up, the thinner the rubber compound gets. Some folks like that feeling, some won't (think of cushioning as well). Obviously in a midsize, since the rubber compound is what is built up to create the larger diameter, you won't get that stretched out material feeling. You can theorize as well that building up can effect the longevity of the grip since the material is thinned out.

Like I said no scientific testing but in theory it makes sense.

Any thoughts on size differences from one OEM to the next?

Any thoughts on size differences from one OEM to the next?

What do you mean like the differences between the sizing of GP's VDR standard size in comparison to Winn's Xi17 standard size? That's like comparing apples to oranges. I would think everyone has a different diameter (more along the lines of construction more than anything) for "standard" size even within product lines in the same OEM.

Personally I hate the feel of grips built up with tape but it's all personal. I have had standard grips "built up" and it felt totally wrond to me compared to a normal midsize grip.

As with everything this is going to be personal and you will have to try it out for yourself.

Personally I hate the feel of grips built up with tape but it's all personal. I have had standard grips "built up" and it felt totally wrond to me compared to a normal midsize grip.

As with everything this is going to be personal and you will have to try it out for yourself.

My sentiments exactly. Gracias Silent Ninja.

I just got the new decade on my driver, and I don't play with a glive but it hasn't ripped my hands up so far. I love that grip but that could be because it was my first non-stock grip. Hah.

I wish golf was as easy as Tapatalk.

I've been considering installing the VDR's into my scoring irons to get a better feel on tougher shots. I still love the GP New Decades and will not be changing in my woods and longer irons. They are the best grips I've ever used.

+1 I try to check out other grips as they come out but I have yet to find some that feel as food to me as the GP ND's do

^^^^^^ I Tapped That ^^^^^^

What do you mean like the differences between the sizing of GP's VDR standard size in comparison to Winn's Xi17 standard size? That's like comparing apples to oranges. I would think everyone has a different diameter (more along the lines of construction more than anything) for "standard" size even within product lines in the same OEM.

Yeah, that's exactly what I was talking about. I guess I need to start looking at dimensions for sizing rather than words. Right now I play the NDMC midsize + 3-wraps. My question is based on the idea of changing styles and/or oems and what size grips to buy. Wouldn't it be nice if the oems could actually standardize? I had another thought for the resellers... How about putting together combo pack kits. Like the ability to get 2 GP Tour Velvet, 2 GP NDMC, 2 Winn Xi7, etc. That way I could try out a whole bunch of different grips at one time.

To be honest, I use the Tour Velvets on most of my clubs, and I love 'em. I've messed around with all 3, though, and here are my findings on the 2 you want:

NDMCs: I don't like these at all. The top half shreds up my golf gloves, and the bottom isn't all that great either. I don't find above-average moisture help; for example, I felt slight slipping on the bottom part in wet conditions, but the top part was fairly stable. Plus, these are too firm for my liking. They give too much shot feedback, and don't absorb enough of the shock so the grip vibrates quite a bit. These are definitely not worth the price. Out of the 3 grips, this was my least favorite.

VDRs: I like these grips quite a bit. They are a nice step up from the Tour Velvets. The feel is very similar to the TVs, except the grip is better. I didn't have a single instance where the club would slip out of my hand at impact, even in drizzly conditions. The moisture-absorption was great, and I didn't find any major problems with either hand slipping (though this could be due to the increased grip). The shot feedback was perfect, letting your hands know you hit a bad shot while still keeping them stable and relatively vibration-free. I like the feel of the grip itself, a nice medium feel. This was my favorite out of the 3.

I will be switching to the VDRs on most of my clubs when my TVs wear out, excluding the driver and putter. They feel very similar to the TVs, except offer superior grip and traction, especially in humid condition. I will not be using the NDMCs, and have already re-installed my original TVs onto those clubs. Just so you know, I tested all 3 grips on my 52º*and 56º wedges, which come standard with TV grips

So I made it to Golf Galaxy today. Considering everyone's input here, I went with standard size VDR red (to match the color of my driver). Haven't swung it, but it is a sexy looking grip, and also feels great! Can't wait to get it on the course! Thanks everyone,

BulldogsGolf

Yeah, that's exactly what I was talking about. I guess I need to start looking at dimensions for sizing rather than words. Right now I play the NDMC midsize + 3-wraps. My question is based on the idea of changing styles and/or oems and what size grips to buy. Wouldn't it be nice if the oems could actually standardize? I had another thought for the resellers... How about putting together combo pack kits. Like the ability to get 2 GP Tour Velvet, 2 GP NDMC, 2 Winn Xi7, etc. That way I could try out a whole bunch of different grips at one time.

It would be nice but just like regular/stiff flex we know that won't happen. Grips are so personal that it's hard to describe in words what the feedback is on the grip and you know just looking at them or even trying them on the store shelf isn't going to do it. I can maybe see one OEM doing an intro pack within their lineup but cross marketing between OEM's on the same product type will be nearly impossible.

So I made it to Golf Galaxy today. Considering everyone's input here, I went with standard size VDR red (to match the color of my driver). Haven't swung it, but it is a sexy looking grip, and also feels great! Can't wait to get it on the course! Thanks everyone,

BulldogsGolf

I forgot to mention this above is that if you want a real world rest on the VDR's you can swing the JPX800 series as well as their MP-T/R series wedges as they come standard with a Mizuno labeled VDR.

Glad we can help Tyler Snooki. :D

It would be nice but just like regular/stiff flex we know that won't happen. Grips are so personal that it's hard to describe in words what the feedback is on the grip and you know just looking at them or even trying them on the store shelf isn't going to do it. I can maybe see one OEM doing an intro pack within their lineup but cross marketing between OEM's on the same product type will be nearly impossible.

Glad we can help Tyler Snooki. :D

I agree on the subjective feel. I was thinking more about standard being 'x' dimension, and midsize being 'y' dimension. The other suggestion regarding combo packs was pointed at resellers, not OEM's.

I think I am going to try the VDR's on my irons next spring when it comes time to re-grip them. I've heard some good things about them and when I was in Victoria I played with Coolbreeze who has them and they really felt nice. I've been using the GP Decade grips the last couple of years and I like them but I find at times they can be a little too rough on the hands (not all of the time, just sometimes). I'm looking forward to seeing how they compare as I've used the Tour Velvets as well.

I just usually buy new irons when the grips go bad...:egyptian::golf3:

Back