That was a bad idea!

Joshzilla

Secret Agent
Reaction score
Handicap
So I had a 250+ yard 2nd shot on a par 5 last night. Okay, so I pull out the 3wood. Now I get to the ball and realize just how downhill my lie is. Well, I went for it anyway. That was such a weird shot. Downhill lie + low lofted wood = wicked worm burner! I lucked out and caught a good hop off a hill, but still it was a terrible decision. Don't do that!

Now you know and knowing is half the battle. Go Joe!

been there, done that a few times...hate the down hill lie with any club, im a mess

I too have done this plenty of times. These days, if I feel uncomfortable with a club, or feel it may not be the right club, I won't hit that shot. For me, if I have any doubts, I will most likely hit a bad shot. I will go back to the bag and figure out which club/shot I am 100% confident in and hit that. You have to trust it, or it will likely be a poor shot. This mind set has really helped me improve.

Down hill lies suck I hate those. Down hill side hill lies are the worst though.

I'm starting to realize going for a par 5 in two is only smart when it's down wind or when you know you are having a bad round going

I am from Dallas, there isnt much of any hills there. What makes a course hard in Dallas in my opinion is water and sand. I moved to KC to go to college and you can make a course hard by just having a ton of hills all over the place. I vote water and sand anyday because I still cant hit off the side of a hill

So I had a 250+ yard 2nd shot on a par 5 last night. Okay, so I pull out the 3wood. Now I get to the ball and realize just how downhill my lie is. Well, I went for it anyway. That was such a weird shot. Downhill lie + low lofted wood = wicked worm burner! I lucked out and caught a good hop off a hill, but still it was a terrible decision. Don't do that!

Bad idea yes, but whats the betting that when faced with a similar/same shot you make the same choice!? I can never leave a chance at a par 5 in 2 :beat-up:

The other half is 50% red lasers and 50% blue lasers

The course I play is incredibly hilly. There is a shot for that btw. practicing them isn't that much fun though.

Do it just about every time on my home course #18. Bigger problem is that there is a creek guarding the green, so it is all carry. You guessed it, I usually end up in the drink. Not smart golf. The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over an over and expecting a different result...guess I am insane.

Do you hit 3wood 250+? Smarter play is your 150 club, (8 iron?) have 100 yds remainin, gap wedge, putt, birdie and onto the next.

Do you hit 3wood 250+? Smarter play is your 150 club, (8 iron?) have 100 yds remainin, gap wedge, putt, birdie and onto the next.

My 250 club is my driver, but that depends on conditions a great deal as well. Last weekend I hit my Mashie M1 from 240 and it trickled off the back of the green. Courses down here are rock hard!

I had a few bad ideas today. In fact every shot felt like it was downhill or sidehill or in a little bowl or something. Really I just don't think I should have gone out to play today as I had a long dentists appointment and my mouth was still numb. I felt sort of odd but I thought I was OK to play. I don't know though. I was terrible.

I just could not seem to get comfortable over the ball and my balance was terrible, just terrible. Has anybody had a bad experience as in gone out to play right after a dentist appointment and found that you just could not get anything right?

My 3wood is sporatic. I would say that 230 would be a pretty good average for my distance. What can I say...I was in 'go big' mode!

So how did it turn out, birdie or par?

Sadly, it was a bogey.

I seem to run into this problem when I play the safe shot. I am so used to trying to knock it on every green in two or getting very close that when I play safe I always seem to hit a terrible shot. Not everytime but enough that it sticks in my head.
My dad always plays the wrong shot or the hero shot. He would be a single digit hdcp'r if he thought his way around the course

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back