"kissing" bunker balls

bajapalm

it seems so simple..
Reaction score
Handicap
I knew that would get your attention! LOL
We were playing a par 3 and my buddy and I ended up in the same trap.
When we got there it was rather compacted and our balls were resting up against each other quite literally. No one had ever seen anything like it.
What to do?:kiss:

That's what we ended up doing. Not sure if it was legal and it gave a bit of an advantage to me (I thought) because I was second and my sand was "nicer" due to the raking -- such is golf eh?

Lol I tend to re hit a lot lol

I now tap while I talk

I would laugh too - except that it's actually true:banghead:

Not sure you have to drop. Can't the ball be placed? Dropping in a bunker never results in a good lie. Not sure exactly, but that seems like you would be punished just because your ball happens to rest up against another man's ball.

Kevin

Not sure you have to drop. Can't the ball be placed? Dropping in a bunker never results in a good lie. Not sure exactly, but that seems like you would be punished just because your ball happens to rest up against another man's ball.

Kevin

Sorry. I just meant toss it down.

Sorry. I just meant toss it down.

I'm actually not sure you get to place the ball, but tossing doesn't sound like a good option either.

Calling Fourputt. Yo, Fourputt. Rules question.

Kevin

I think the rule is one person has to pick up their ball so the other one can hit. The person holding their ball is not allowed to clean it or anything. When the first player get done hitting, the area is raked and the 2nd player gets to place their ball in the sand but they have to give themselves a lie that is similar to the one they had before picking up the ball.

"Rule 22: Ball Interfering with or Assisting Play
Any player may:
a. Lift his ball if he considers that the ball might assist any other player or
b. Have any other ball lifted if he considers that the ball might interfere with his play or assist the play of any other player, but this may not be done while another ball is in motion. In stroke play, a player required to lift his ball may play first rather than lift. A ball lifted under this Rule shall be replaced.

PENALTY FOR BREACH OF THIS RULE: Match Play--Loss of hole; Stroke Play--Two strokes
NOTE: Except on the putting green, the ball may not be cleaned when lifted under this Rule."

Getting back to the situation you described, one of you should have marked the position of your ball to allow the other player to play. Then, since the original position was likely to be altered, under Rule 20-3b, the person who lifted her ball would have been required to recreate their lie as nearly as possible and place the ball in that lie. This means either one of you could have raked the bunker only enough to recreate the lie.

Ya ok. Lets mark it and splash a sand shot out of there. And play the next shot from where the marker lands? Or take a putter head length in that direction, but wait, dont touch your putter head to the surface while marking. And also dont accidentally touch the sand with your hands too. Also, dont clean the ball when you pick it up. But dont rerake and place as its improving the lie now.

Play real golf, the one thats played with common sense and without being a complete stickler on tiny rules. Pick one up, hit, rake, replace, hit, rake, putt.

I follow the rules for the most part, and probably break some here and there, but I dont do anything that can improve my score. I play realistic golf.

"Rule 22: Ball Interfering with or Assisting Play
Any player may:
a. Lift his ball if he considers that the ball might assist any other player or
b. Have any other ball lifted if he considers that the ball might interfere with his play or assist the play of any other player, but this may not be done while another ball is in motion. In stroke play, a player required to lift his ball may play first rather than lift. A ball lifted under this Rule shall be replaced.

PENALTY FOR BREACH OF THIS RULE: Match Play--Loss of hole; Stroke Play--Two strokes
NOTE: Except on the putting green, the ball may not be cleaned when lifted under this Rule."

Getting back to the situation you described, one of you should have marked the position of your ball to allow the other player to play. Then, since the original position was likely to be altered, under Rule 20-3b, the person who lifted her ball would have been required to recreate their lie as nearly as possible and place the ball in that lie. This means either one of you could have raked the bunker only enough to recreate the lie.

Ya ok. Lets mark it and splash a sand shot out of there. And play the next shot from where the marker lands? Or take a putter head length in that direction, but wait, dont touch your putter head to the surface while marking. And also dont accidentally touch the sand with your hands too. Also, dont clean the ball when you pick it up. But dont rerake and place as its improving the lie now.

Play real golf, the one thats played with common sense and without being a complete stickler on tiny rules. Pick one up, hit, rake, replace, hit, rake, putt.

I follow the rules for the most part, and probably break some here and there, but I dont do anything that can improve my score. I play realistic golf.

No you don't! I've seen you hit 265 yard 3 woods.

I didn't say I'd go through all this, I simply researched the topic and posted an answer. I'm with you... No cheating but not thumbing through the rules book either. I play with a guy who just can't beat me but tries very hard. I hit my ball left into high rough. When we got up to it, I found it but there was also "protected area. Not allowed beyond this point. Follow local rules" signs. Looked on score card and of course there's no mention of this hole or any protected area rules for entire course. I coulda played ball but I took the stroke, room lateral drop and finished hole. After round he finds started. Started says drip should be line of sight from tee to entry. He of course cried DQ. I told him to shut up bc he lost by 16! If it was on the card I'd follow whatever it says. Still say what I did was ok

Hey guys I appreciate it - both the common sense approach and the technical one. everyone in my group was 100% cool with basically the re rake drop/place thing but we wondered what would happen on TV etc as none of us had come across the situation.
OK now that's pretty damn funny :laughing:

Back