Tadashi70

Reaction score
Handicap
When the round is over and your headed in for a drink or headed to the car for the ride home, a young is ready to clean the dirt off your clubs. What is an appropriate tip for this service? Do you allow them to be cleaned? Do you make you cart mate tip?
Having been in the service industry at worked the carts at my club as a kid, I appreciate the efforts and tip at least $3 - $5 for my bag. These guys have to eat too. It also goes along way for future rounds or encounters. These guys remember who takes care of them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

being one of the guys your talking about we love more then $2 but anything will suffice. If anything you've bought them a drink/crackers that day

I pretty much tip $3 to $5 myself. Most of the guys are actually just making small talk much more than actually cleaning my clubs.

I brush and wipe clubs after every shot so mine are always clean. I tell them not to worry and give them $5 to make up for others

I have only played at one course that did that. It was in Scottsdale in the 1990s and it was a buck a bag back then. Never had it happen since.

Everyone should tip them at least $2. The worst thing is some private clubs will have a sign right by the cart barn that states "Tipping is not Appropriate". That always irks me.

I have only played at one course that did that. It was in Scottsdale in the 1990s and it was a buck a bag back then. Never had it happen since.

I haven't played at a club in a while that had bag boys offer this. If so I'd give $2-$5 for sure.

That normally doesn't happen to me except when my family goes to Myrtle Beach and plays at The Grand Dunes they have cart boys. We normally give about $3ish dollars depending on how nice they are and how good of a job they do.

Ok that covers when you are done but what about before hand? I've played at a couple places where they will bring the cart out to you and load your bags and such and either leave the cart with you or take it to the CH.

Same deal...3-5?

Great question. I have honestly never played somewhere that did this. Being in the service industry as well, I would probably tip $5 and throw a little extra if my playing partners didn't tip.

Interesting topic, being a bartender I'm usually pretty generous, I tip $5 per bag cleaned. And usually a few $ more if they carry em to the car for me.

Question I have, I've never played with a caddy before, but I may soon. How much do you tip a caddy after the round? Is the fee for a caddy that you pay with your greens fees p art of his pay? Or is he salary plus your tip? Is there a % you normally tip a caddy?

What about forecaddies? Again never used one... What's the common $$ or %?

Thanks!

Ok that covers when you are done but what about before hand? I've played at a couple places where they will bring the cart out to you and load your bags and such and either leave the cart with you or take it to the CH.

Same deal...3-5?

My experience has been the outside staff pools their tips but the guys for this guy I give $2. The same goes for the guy that places my bag on the cart.

Interesting topic, being a bartender I'm usually pretty generous, I tip $5 per bag cleaned. And usually a few $ more if they carry em to the car for me.

Question I have, I've never played with a caddy before, but I may soon. How much do you tip a caddy after the round? Is the fee for a caddy that you pay with your greens fees p art of his pay? Or is he salary plus your tip? Is there a % you normally tip a caddy?

Thanks!

Caddie fees can be built into the greens fees if you are required to have have one. In this case $20 is good. If you have a caddie for the group $20/man. Forecaddies $10-$20. If you have a great round and you want to throw your caddies a few extra bones

I was invited to a private country club by a client 2 weeks ago and had a caddie for the first time in my life. For the foursome, there was 2 caddies and it was boiling hit out so I felt pretty bad for them but they were really nice and awesome. At the end of the round know the client tipped them very well and also bought them lunch at the turn, but I tipped them each $20. They were very appreciative and certainly deserved it.

EVERY THPer that attends a THP Outing should read this thread!

I pretty much tip $3 to $5 myself. Most of the guys are actually just making small talk much more than actually cleaning my clubs.

+2. $3 to $5 for any service at the course.

I assume this will be unpopular response, but I tip nothing. I clean my clubs as I go so they don't need a wipe down after the round. I can manage carrying the bag 50 feet from the car to the cart so they don't need to do that either. I politely say 'no thanks, I'm fine' and they go on their way.

I play at a course once or twice a year that does all this. I know some will think it is rude, but I have a hard time tipping for a service that 1) I didn't ask for, and 2) I don't need done. If I ask for something or require some help, I will tip for that with no problem. I am of the opinion that just because a service is offered, we are not required to make use of the service and then give a tip afterward. If I get a drink/food from the beverage cart or snack shop, I will tip them because they provided a service I asked for.

I assume this will be unpopular response, but I tip nothing. I clean my clubs as I go so they don't need a wipe down after the round. I can manage carrying the bag 50 feet from the car to the cart so they don't need to do that either. I politely say 'no thanks, I'm fine' and they go on their way.

I play at a course once or twice a year that does all this. I know some will think it is rude, but I have a hard time tipping for a service that 1) I didn't ask for, and 2) I don't need done. If I ask for something or require some help, I will tip for that with no problem. I am of the opinion that just because a service is offered, we are not required to make use of the service and then give a tip afterward. If I get a drink/food from the beverage cart or snack shop, I will tip them because they provided a service I asked for.

I see nothing wrong with your stance. You decline the service and didnt ask. It's not a requirement to play. It's a personal choice...

I see nothing wrong with your stance. You decline the service and didnt ask. It's not a requirement to play. It's a personal choice...

I agree with Tadashi, there is nothing wrong with your stance. I just allow them to go ahead because most of the time at the nicer courses around here the bag boy and forecaddies are college kids trying to make a few bucks. I don't mind helping them out as it is only a small amount we are talking about.

Most courses that I play at don't have this service. If I'm covering the tip for my cart, it would be a $5 bill. It's just part of the experience of playing at higher end places it seems and I don't mind. We're all trying to make a few bucks.

I have only encountered this a few times but I will tip $5 or a bit more. I have only had a caddy once and tipped him $30 after the round. He was a great kid and good caddy. He picked up on my yardages quick and helped reccomend clubs and helped read greens and generally made it a real enjoyable round.

I have only played one course that did that. I tipped the bag boy when my round was over. I didnt have a few bucks till later after I broke a 20 with the cart girl. The cool thing was after the round when I tipped the bag boy he remembered my car and the bag I had at the time.

Thanks!

CG13, another thing that is easy to do is ask the head pro or the person behind the desk in the pro shop whether caddie/forecaddie fees are included in the greens fees or not, and what the suggested tip is. I find that it differs based on the course, so that's an easy way to avoid awkwardness at the end of the round.

To the OP, I usually tip $2-$3 to the guys that clean my clubs, but I don't play very many places that do that.

Back