Cleveland Mashie Review - Testers Thread

I was like a little 7 year old kid at Christmas opening the box. Got it out and man does this thing look awesome!

Looks- The headcover is amazing, im in love with it. It has the Mashie symbol on it as you can see in the pictures below, the pom pom on top is the softest thing I may have ever felt. The rest of it is pretty stiff but thats good so it wont stretch out and fall off of it. Ok now on to the club itself. The crown looks like a dark marble grey color, which is very nice looking. Bottom has a nice shine to it were you can see yourself in the reflection off of it. Has the Cleveland C logo up top, the words glide rail beneath that and Cleveland Mashie, Loft 18.0 just below that. The face of it is about the size of 2 golf balls and has a little rectangle shape to it but not 90 degree square, kind of see what im talking about in the pictures. Shaft has the flex code down by the ferrule, and its possible the best looking shaft I have seen. Has blue/black/white and dark gray. Overrall its a beautiful club, Cleveland did a very nice job on that.

Feel- The club is very light, I did take some swings with it and I can tell its going to take a little adjustment time before I get dialed in with it, but not to long. The grip is a 36 gram superlite Lamkin. It has the perfect amount og tackiness for me, I was really worried about what grip they would have on it, but I give it an A+ for sure, I love it. Its not really firm but not really soft kind of in the middle, I can push on it and feel it squish some, and the designing in the grip gives you a good hold on it.

Miscellaneous things- Overall Club length is right around 42" give or take a half a cm. The headcover fits like a glove on the club, Im sure it will strecth out just a little bit, but just by judging, it should hold up nicely.

Sorry about picture quality, all I have is cell phone.

IMG_0677.jpg

IMG_0678.jpg

IMG_0679.jpg

IMG_0680.jpg

IMG_0681.jpg

IMG_0682.jpg

IMG_0684.jpg

IMG_0685.jpg

IMG_0686.jpg

IMG_0688-1.jpg

IMG_0689.jpg

Good review Rhino and looking forward to your on course report tomorrow. You guys are really bringing it with the pics and descriptions of the mashie. It's almost as if I had one in the palm of my hand :D. Keep up the good work and thanks for the reviews :thumb:

Yeah I have to agree OG. I love the hybrid I have now but I'm starting to get the itch reading this thread.

Good stuff Rhino. Stick some extra balls in your pocket and hit that thing a ton.

Oh I fully intend on it, plus I am off all next week so I will try to get out as much as possible.

Good review Rhino and very appreciated. Did you find the Mashie to be any easier to hit than the other clubs? How was your consistency with it as compared to your 5 wood?

Good question KellyBo, I will answer this way I found the hybrids ( both my present one and the Mashie) alot easier to hit off the mat than the wood and a little bit easier than the iron. With the wood I was all over the range, some pushes and some pulls. WIth the Mashie most of the shots went straight down the middle or had that baby draw as I mentioned. I will add that trying to "overcook" or swing too hard did not do me any good with the club.

Love it Rhino!!! I'm interested to see how it was with your 5w too!!!

See above my friend

Great stuff Rhino!!

Thanks 9-Iron

Great pic's guy's and nice info so far. I'm really interested to know how these compare distance wise for everyone. I feel pretty safe that accurace will be there with this club.

I can't wait to take it on course to see how it does. I've been pretty good about playing to numbers lately and Ill be hitting this one off the tee alot. I have an idea of how far it goes but I don't trust the range flags all that much.
Great pic's guy's and nice info so far. I'm really interested to know how these compare distance wise for everyone. I feel pretty safe that accurace will be there with this club.

I just got back from the range after my first session hitting balls with my new Mashie. My first impression, in a nutshell, this thing is sweet! The sound and feel are fantastic. For me, this club/shaft combo produces a high penetrating ball flight that I'm really excited about. A high ball flight is what I'm looking for in a hybrid because I personally want this club in my bag to have an option to land something softly from 190-210 instead of hitting a long iron that is tough to stop. I was easily able to work the ball with this club, although I did find it much easier to work right to left (draw) rather than left to right (fade).

Lots of people have been asking about hitting this club high and low and, as I said above, I had no problems hitting this thing high and long. Low on the other hand, is a bit tougher. This is a high launch shaft and, with a full swing, I found it a bit tough to fight that and hit it low.

The other hybrids I have are heavier that the Mashie, which worried me a bit, but after a few swings I could already tell that I was going to love the lighter weight.

One thing that I did not like at all was the grip. The texture and firmness were fine, but there is a Cleveland Golf logo at the butt end of the grip that I think is really poorly placed. As you can see in the picture below, the area around the logo is smooth and because I tend to grip clubs close to the end of the grip, the pad of my top hand rests on the logo which I could feel sliding on several swings. Not a big deal because a grip replacement is a simple fix, but something that I noticed in my first session that I didn't like.

4740b6d3.jpg

Next up I'm going to stack the Mashie up against several other hybrids for comparison purposes and I'm also going to take the Mashie to the course. More to come...

Great write up AHA. Did you try a back in the stance, "stinger" type of shot? With that low finish, I did not have trouble hitting it "lower". But taht could be part of my natural swing too.

Great write up AHA. Did you try a back in the stance, "stinger" type of shot? With that low finish, I did not have trouble hitting it "lower". But taht could be part of my natural swing too.

I did, and I was able to hit it lower by moving it back and hitting more of a stinger, but I guess it's all relative because it still wasn't what I personally consider 'low.' It was a bit windy at the range today and even when I hit the stiger I still found it ballooning a bit. I'm guessing I'll gain more control as I continue to get used to the feel/weight of this club. As I said, the Mashie setup I have for testing is considerably lighter than my other hybrids (which I like), but I think some of the added swing speed my be resulting in the higher ball flight which may require a bit of an adjustment period. As I said above, I'd rather hit it high with my hybrid anyway because that's one thing that I'm looking for with this club.

Good stuff AHA. It has been raining since 8 this morning and very cold so no mashie for me today. Hopefully the Range is open tomorrow later in the day, I might try to squeeze in some mashie Christmas time lol

solid reviews so far gentlemen. I thoroughly enjoy reading more and more about the mashie. Seems like it is living up to the bill so far. Still no mashie in my neck of the woods so it probably will not be here until next week. You guys sure do have me excited though that's for sure.

Well done with it so far guys! I'm proud to be a tester with all of you.

serious golfers use tapatalk so we can THP on the fly!

I may have missed this somewhere else in the thread, but do we know the weight of the grip on the Mashie? I'm considering putting a GP Multi Compound on it but I don't want to mess up the swing weight.

I may have missed this somewhere else in the thread, but do we know the weight of the grip on the Mashie? I'm considering putting a GP Multi Compound on it but I don't want to mess up the swing weight.

It's a lamkin but I don't know which model. I don't think it should throw too much off.

Nice write up so far man.

Hey its on the grip, I posted it in my first review..36 grams.

edit: Standard size 60 core Multi compound grip is 46.5 grams, a midsize 60 core Multi compound is 59 grams

Great stuff Aha! I believe bridges had a post and it was a little over 30 grams.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks guys. Ok, for you swing weight experts, how much will going from a 36g grip to a 46.5g grip mess it up?

The grip weighs 36 grams. It is a Lamkin Superlite.

Thanks guys. Ok, for you swing weight experts, how much will going from a 36g grip to a 46.5g grip mess it up?

This might help.

2grams in the head = 1 swing weight
5g in grip= 1 swing weight
9g in the shaft = 1 swing weight

so about 2 swing weights. But not sure how much 2 swing weights will mess it up. Adding swing weight causes a tad lower ball flight?? not for sure though. But even if it did, you probably wouldnt notice it.

Excellent question. JB correct me if I'm wrong but altering the weight in the shaft itself or in the head of the club (via lead tape, etc) has more effect on the clubs playability than in the grip?

Excellent question. JB correct me if I'm wrong but altering the weight in the shaft itself or in the head of the club (via lead tape, etc) has more effect on the clubs playability than in the grip?

In my opinion, yes. However the goal is to not mess up balance. Going off memory alone, these are D4 in swing weight. AHA, have you thought about going with another light rip? Perhaps the Winn?

In my opinion, yes. However the goal is to not mess up balance. Going off memory alone, these are D4 in swing weight. AHA, have you thought about going with another light rip? Perhaps the Winn?

I have, but the problem is I'm partial to the feel/performance of the GP MC or even a full cord grip. I may give it a go with a MC and see how it feels, and if the head feels to light with that setup I'll try a lighter grip. The Winn Lite's are nice, but I may try out this grip:

http://www.golfworks.com/product.asp_Q_pn_E_GP0014R

You don't still have that XLS Hybird do you Rhino? It would be interesting to see how the Mashie compared to that, or even to the DST for that matter. Anyone of the testers have a DST Hybrid to test it against?

JB had a dst hybrid with a miyazaki at the outing. IMO the feel is completely different. I like the DST in their own right but the Mashie feels more like an iron that is extemely easy to hit.

Plus Im not sure what loft or shaft it was haha.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back