Tee Time for US Open first two rounds...

I'm pretty sure this will get merged into the big US Open thread. With that said, here are the pairings that I'll be interested in:
7:44 a.m. – 1:24 p.m. – Matt Kuchar, St. Simons Island, Ga.; Paul Casey, England; K.J. Choi, Korea (I really like the chances of Kuchar and Choi, especially with KJ having won at Congressional a few years ago)

7:55 a.m. – 1:35 p.m. – Graeme McDowell, Northern Ireland; A-Peter Uihlein, Orlando, Fla.; Louis Oosthuizen, South Africa (traditional pairing of US Open champ, US Am champ, and British Open champ)

8:17 a.m. – 1:57 p.m. – Ernie Els, South Africa; Davis Love III, Sea Island, Ga.; Jim Furyk, Ponte Vedra Beach, Fla. (3 major champions that are over 40; Els won at Congressional in 1997)

8:06 a.m. – 1:46 p.m. – Luke Donald, England; Lee Westwood, England; Martin Kaymer, Germany (top 3 players in the world. I assume this is the only group that will be shown on European broadcasts during that time!)

8:28 a.m. – 2:08 p.m. – Bubba Watson, Bagdad, Fla.; Adam Scott, Australia; Robert Karlsson, Sweden (All guys are intriguing picks, with Watson already having 2 wins this year, Scott finishing T2 at the Masters, and Karlsson currently in the lead in Memphis)

1:24 p.m. – 7:44 a.m. – Miguel Angel Jimenez, Spain; Sergio Garcia, Spain; Alvaro Quiros, Spain (I love that the US Open has a sense of humor, putting 3 Spainards together. This is the group that the Paulo will watch after the Westwood/Donald/Kaymer group is done)

1:35 p.m. – 7:55 a.m. – Francesco Molinari, Italy; Matteo Manassero, Italy; Edoardo Molinari, Italy (All of the Italians together too!)

1:57 p.m. – 8:17 a.m. – Rickie Fowler, Murrieta, Calif.; Ian Poulter, England; Hunter Mahan, Colleyville, Texas (They may not play the best, but they will definitely be the brightest dressed threesome out there. Mahan is a sneaky pick, shot 62 in the final round at Congressional to almost chase down Tiger at this own tournament a few years ago)

1:24 p.m. – 7:44 a.m.- Steve Stricker, Madison, Wis.; Retief Goosen, South Africa; David Toms, Shreveport, La. (Can Stricker keep up his red-hot play after last week at the Memorial and bag his first major? You have to think the setup at the US Open gives him his best shot at a major)

1:35 p.m. – 7:55 a.m.- Rory McIlroy, Northern Ireland; Dustin Johnson, Jupiter, Fla.; Phil Mickelson, Rancho Santa Fe, Calif. (You know DJ and PM will love this pairing since they play practice rounds together all the time, and how will Rory respond in his first major after the Masters meltdown?)

1:46 p.m. – 8:06 a.m. – Charl Schwartzel, South Africa; Trevor Immelman, South Africa; Zach Johnson, Cedar Rapids, Iowa (3 Masters champions, can any of them break through for a second major?)

1:57 p.m. – 8:17 a.m. – Nick Watney, Henderson, Nev.; Lucas Glover, St. Simons Island, Ga.; Geoff Ogilvy, Australia (2 past US Open champions and a guy that I think will win a major someday)

Those are some fun pairings...gotta figure the Molinari brothers haven't been paired together too often.

8:06 a.m. – 1:46 p.m. – Luke Donald, England; Lee Westwood, England; Martin Kaymer, Germany (top 3 players in the world. I assume this is the only group that will be shown on European broadcasts during that time!)
)

I think you might be surprised - certainly most of the British coverage seems to revolve around showing as much golf as possible and doesn't get too partisan. Naturally the presenters keep us informed about how the British/Europeans are getting on, but also concentrate on the leaders no matter who they are. For American events, we tend to get the NBC or CBS coverage anyway, with local anchors in the studio whenever the ad breaks kick in.

Back