Round 2 at Golftec, I'm Back to Square One

Flooder

Reaction score
Handicap
Most of you will remember my 1st visit to Golftec and the tremendous results I saw with the Burner 2.0. For those who missed it, here's that thread...
http://www.thehackersparadise.com/f...0-Experience-You-re-NOT-Going-To-Believe-This!

Today was supposed to be a quick confirmation of the iron results, hit the 3 iron to see where my top end would be and then fit to woods and driver. I say "supposed to be" because nothing went according to plan.

I was definitely not swinging as well today (well, that's an understatement). I averaged 159 yds. with my X22 6 iron with way too low a launch, way too low a descent and too much side-spin as a result of coming over the top (which I did for the whole session :banghead:) So, I grab the burners thinking, "yeah, but watch this"; and proceed to hit them an avg. of 171 yds. with an even worse launch and descent angle and even more side spin.

Granted 12 yds. is nice, but considering 3* less loft and longer shaft, it's not really impressive and it's certainly not the 30+ yds. I saw hitting the same clubs 3 weeks ago.

So now what the hell do I do? It's quite possible the 2.0s end up being the right irons for me, but the Golftec rep doesn't think it makes any sense to buy clubs until I'm making a consistent swing I can be fit to. I'm sooo frustrated as just 3 weeks ago I'd found my new irons and all the distance I'd been missing for all these years. Now 3 weeks later, 2/3rds of the gain is gone.

Was today the fluke? Was 3 weeks ago the fluke? Is what I did 3 weeks ago (averaging 193 with the 2.0 6 iron) ever going to happen again? Do I get lessons? Do I get the irons anyway? %$&#&@*!!!!!! I thought I was getting somewhere.

Isnt the answer fairly simple? If you were not swinging well, it would not really matter. Head back over when you are swinging better and see what the results are.

Hate it for you. I'd be more inclined to call today the fluke. Go back another day and swing em again. You may not see the 30+ again, but if you were swinging them all like crap today, then call it a bad day and give it another try.

Isnt the answer fairly simple? If you were not swinging well, it would not really matter. Head back over when you are swinging better and see what the results are.

Agreed. You may have just been too excited or some other little variable was off. That's all it takes, so don't lose hope!

Sorry to hear you had such a hard day dude. I would work the kinks out and then look for the new clubs....

I can't even hit my 3 wood 193 on average!

I'll second and third everyone elses comments, stick with it and next time will be better. Don't take to much stock from what happened today. Next time will be better. Guaranteed.

Thanks for the comments all. I appreciate the positivity from you as I'm very discouraged at the moment. How would you all respond to the fitter/instructor who strongly recommended I go with lessons instead of clubs?

As of right now I am scheduled for a 90 minute swing eval. next Friday as the first step to a lesson plan.

Thanks for the comments all. I appreciate the positivity from you as I'm very discouraged at the moment. How would you all respond to the fitter/instructor who strongly recommended I go with lessons instead of clubs?

As of right now I am scheduled for a 90 minute swing eval. next Friday as the first step to a lesson plan.

Seems bang on to me, you will appreciate the clubs that much more if you get your swing in check to the point where you are really enjoying playing and not getting frustrated

I think there are two ways to look at it. All of us, including the pros, need lessons. So, lessons are never a bad idea. That said it also depends on where you feel you are with your game compared to where you want to be. If you're happy, then lessons could be a no-no for you. If on the other hand you still want to grow your game, then by all means get the lessons.

I still say that your experience today was more than likely a fluke, but only YOU really know.

I think there are two ways to look at it. All of us, including the pros, need lessons. So, lessons are never a bad idea. That said it also depends on where you feel you are with your game compared to where you want to be. If you're happy, then lessons could be a no-no for you. If on the other hand you still want to grow your game, then by all means get the lessons.

I still say that your experience today was more than likely a fluke, but only YOU really know.

Well Except for Bubba.
From interview with Bubba Watson;

Do you have a swing coach?
I have never had a lesson. I'll never change from that. I'll keep playing golf the way I know how to play it and hopefully that will keep me on Tour.

Sounds right to me. This is what I am doing. I figure get my swing fixed and then get clubs that fit the fixed swing.

Well Except for Bubba.
From interview with Bubba Watson;

Do you have a swing coach?
I have never had a lesson. I'll never change from that. I'll keep playing golf the way I know how to play it and hopefully that will keep me on Tour.

And if Bubba was #1 I would say maybe he's on the right track and doesn't need lessons. Since he isn't perhaps even he could benefit.

And since no one on THP has the talent of Bubba your comments don't seem to hold much value!

And if Bubba was #1 I would say maybe he's on the right track and doesn't need lessons. Since he isn't perhaps even he could benefit.

And since no one on THP has the talent of Bubba your comments don't seem to hold much value!

Does anyone here have a sense humor or what?

Last edited:
Does anyone here have a sense humor or what?

I got that you were kidding. I actually like Bubba's story and that he plays the game totally his way and with real flare. If only I had a tiny fraction of his "instincts" for working the golf ball... Man that would be fun!

I got that you were kidding. I actually like Bubba's story and that he plays the game totally his way and with real flare. If only I had a tiny fraction of his "instincts" for working the golf ball... Man that would be fun!

There was another place (I think on playing lessons from the Pros on TGC) he took it one step further and said he would never take a lesson because that would mean golf was a job and he never wanted to think of it as job. Classic Bubba

Good luck with you trials and tribulations, I find everything usually comes back when I stop trying so hard... over-thinking can be a killer

Back