Heading Across America for 23 days!

GrantD

Formerly Known as DMB012
Reaction score
Handicap
Starting this coming Saturday, June 18th, I will be MIA on THP for 23 days. I will be directing a trip of 82 high school students across our great country. This program is called Teens Westward Bound. It is a leadership program for freshman through seniors in high school. We start out in Davidson, NC, head across the lower part of the US, travel up the Pacific Coast and then start eastward in San Francisco across the top part of the US. We hit some major high lights of the US along the way. Many of these include; New Orleans, San Antonio, Carlsbad Caverns, Grand Canyon, Las Vegas, Disneyland, Hollywood, Monterey, San Francisco, Salt Lake City, Jackson Hole, Grand Tetons, Yellowstone, Mt. Rushmore, Air Force Academy, US Olympic Training Center, Kansas University, Archway to the West, and Churchill Downs. This is a program that my dad started 35 years ago and I have been taking over for the past 11 years. So keep your thoughts and prayers with us for safe travels. I will be back on full force, like normal when i get back home. (I might try and sneak some THP time in during the trip somewhere. HEHE)

If you would like to travel along with the trip. The participants blog the trip as we go on. You can go to www.teenswestwardbound.com and click on June 18th trip. That is the trip I am the director of.

I remember you mentioning that you do this. I think it is awesome. My niece is a teacher in NC and I am certain she would love to be involved with something like this. I do indeed hope you have a safe, wonderful experience and I sincerely hope the kids get as much as possible out of this incredible opportunity.
What means of transportation do you use, and how on earth is this funded, if you don't mind?

Nice. Sounds like it will be life highlight they will look back fondly on for years and years. But I don't envy you keeping track of 82 teens!

Safe travels buddy and this will be a lifetime memory for those kids!

Sounds like a great trip. Those kids are lucky to have such programs and people like you to make it rewarding.

Tap,Tap,Tap

I remember you mentioning that you do this. I think it is awesome. My niece is a teacher in NC and I am certain she would love to be involved with something like this. I do indeed hope you have a safe, wonderful experience and I sincerely hope the kids get as much as possible out of this incredible opportunity.
What means of transportation do you use, and how on earth is this funded, if you don't mind?

We travel by a charter bus and two vans with trailers attached. It is funded by the participates. They must come up with there own fund raising or parent support to go.

This is going in my 'daily surf' bookmark folder. Safe travels!

Sounds awesome! Looking forward to hearing andfollowing progress.

This is going in my 'daily surf' bookmark folder. Safe travels!

We try to post the blog everyday by lunch time. So check it out around then.

Good on you - sounds like a very cool program that your dad started that you are now running. Safe travels and have fun!

Sounds like quite a program you and your dad have put together. Have safe travels. I am sure it will be a trip the students will not soon forget.

Sounds like a great time. Here's to safe travel...:drinks:

Wow DMB, that sounds like an amazing excursion. Too bad you couldn't work in Pebble Beach or something along the way. :D

Kudos to you and your pops for starting this. I know it will be something the kids never forget.

Best of luck to you and safe travels.

Couple of questions. What does something like this run? How many chaperons are along for the ride?

Wow, what an awesome sounding trip. Have a good time and get your tapatalk on when you can :)

Sounds amazing! Safe travels!

Wow DMB, that sounds like an amazing excursion. Too bad you couldn't work in Pebble Beach or something along the way. :D

Kudos to you and your pops for starting this. I know it will be something the kids never forget.

Best of luck to you and safe travels.

Couple of questions. What does something like this run? How many chaperons are along for the ride?

The price this year was $2182 and we have 6 chaperones per trip. That comes out to about a 1/12 ratio. These student have to be recommended by a past participant and apply to get on the program. That consist of a application, reference letters and interview.

Are you stopping in ABQ in New Mexico or my town of Socorro? Hard to tell on the map, but honk as you drive through my little town, which isn't much to look at from the highway at all.

I admire your dedication to those kids and your program. And safe travels!

Be sure to wave 'hi' on your way through Salt Lake City. Are you making any stops in town or the area?

Are you stopping in ABQ in New Mexico or my town of Socorro? Hard to tell on the map, but honk as you drive through my little town, which isn't much to look at from the highway at all.

We drive through there, but don't make any stops other than the Flying J.

I admire your dedication to those kids and your program. And safe travels!

Be sure to wave 'hi' on your way through Salt Lake City. Are you making any stops in town or the area?

We go to the Mormon Square and the out door mall. We then head over to Bear Lake that afternoon.

The price this year was $2182 and we have 6 chaperones per trip. That comes out to about a 1/12 ratio. These student have to be recommended by a past participant and apply to get on the program. That consist of a application, reference letters and interview.
That's about what I expected. Have a great time dmb. I'll follow you and the kids on your blog. Thanks for sharing it with us.

We go to the Moron Square and the out door mall. We then head over to Bear Lake that afternoon.

I went to your website after my post and saw the itinerary. Sounds like it's going to be an amazing time.

'Moron Square' - LOL. I'm one o' dem Morons, so I resemble that remark! :tongue:

Another place you might consider on another trip, if you want to learn the history of the area, is "This is the Place State Park." Lots of information about how the Mormon pioneers lived. Interesting even for me, a history non-buff (to say the least)!

I went to your website after my post and saw the itinerary. Sounds like it's going to be an amazing time.

'Moron Square' - LOL. I'm one o' dem Morons, so I resemble that remark! :tongue:

Another place you might consider on another trip, if you want to learn the history of the area, is "This is the Place State Park." Lots of information about how the Mormon pioneers lived. Interesting even for me, a history non-buff (to say the least)!

Sorry, I left out the m. HEHE I meant Mormon Square.

Sounds like an great experience, have fun, and good luck!!!

Back