Looking for the Perfect Golf Workout???

Mardin

Reaction score
I've been working out pretty regularly since November (running 3-4 miles a day and doing core exercises). My company has a golf league that starts in april and runs through the summer, and I want to be as fit for it as possible. I've been reading through some magazines and looking online for some golf-based excersises, and while I have found some I haven't found a comprehensive workout for golf. Does anyone know of or have a workout routine (weight training, core excersise, ect,ect.) geared towards golf. I would highly appreaciate any help.

Darn!!! i thought this thread was going to be "Looking for the Perfect Golf Workout???" well here it is...

some key points to keep in mind for your workout. try to do your core exercises at the start of your workout because many people do them at the end of a workout only end up doing them half a** cos they are just trying to get it done as quick as possible. your core routine should involve some kind of wood chop exercise as it helps build strength in your swing i.e using a cable machine each exercise 2 sets of 12 reps; 1. pulling from top right to bottom left 2. top right to bottom left 3. bottom right to top left 4. bottom left to top right. this will really help with swing strength and core stability. other than that your weights routine should balance shoulders/latts. chest/back. bi-ceps/tri-ceps. quads/ hamstrings. a big emphases should be placed on your post routine stretching and flexibility because if you strengthen up without flexibility it will reduce to size of your swing

There some really good threads on this already. But Menshealth.com has a workouit designed by Camillo Villegas on their site.

I've been working out pretty regularly since November (running 3-4 miles a day and doing core exercises). My company has a golf league that starts in april and runs through the summer, and I want to be as fit for it as possible. I've been reading through some magazines and looking online for some golf-based excersises, and while I have found some I haven't found a comprehensive workout for golf. Does anyone know of or have a workout routine (weight training, core excersise, ect,ect.) geared towards golf. I would highly appreaciate any help.

My buddy is a physical trainer. He's not a golfer but he suggested to me lots of stretching and yoga/pilates styles workouts. Anything heavy he suggested sticking with mostly core body stuff. Over doing the weight lifting stuff will make bigger muscles yes, but will limit flexibility which will limit getting all that power on the ball porperly. The running is great too. Can't tell you how many times I've walked up a steep hill and had to hit a shot out of breath. (i'm a smoker unfortunatly)

Darn!!! i thought this thread was going to be "Looking for the Perfect Golf Workout???" well here it is...

Tricked YA!

There some really good threads on this already. But Menshealth.com has a workouit designed by Camillo Villegas on their site.

I just read an article in Golf Magazine about his training routine and it's sick. His workout schedule is insane. I'm going to have to find his workout on their website, if I find it I'll post it for everyone here.

My buddy is a physical trainer. He's not a golfer but he suggested to me lots of stretching and yoga/pilates styles workouts. Anything heavy he suggested sticking with mostly core body stuff. Over doing the weight lifting stuff will make bigger muscles yes, but will limit flexibility which will limit getting all that power on the ball porperly. The running is great too. Can't tell you how many times I've walked up a steep hill and had to hit a shot out of breath. (i'm a smoker unfortunatly)

Like I said I've been running alot. I haven't been doing much lifting which I'm not to concerned about, I'm looking to get more lean and stronger. Thanks for the advice, I've always been interested in taking a pilates class.

I should prolly start some sort of a workout program as well. Right now all I'm doing is 12 oz. curls.

I should prolly start some sort of a workout program as well. Right now all I'm doing is 12 oz. curls.

It all depends on what part of your golf game you're trying to improve. :D

I used to play in a big money group and one guy that played got better the more he drank. I would pull up to the course at 7:30 on Saturday morning with 2 12 packs of Natural Light. Step out of the truck with one opened and another one waiting in the other hand. One beer and he could hardly talk. He would put down both 12's every Saturday. And what sucked was you could bet him on the 1st 18, but you better not on the second. If the ball was on the green, he made it. Couldn't walk straight, but could roll in anything. Craziest thing I have ever seen!

I used to play in a big money group and one guy that played got better the more he drank. I would pull up to the course at 7:30 on Saturday morning with 2 12 packs of Natural Light. Step out of the truck with one opened and another one waiting in the other hand. One beer and he could hardly talk. He would put down both 12's every Saturday. And what sucked was you could bet him on the 1st 18, but you better not on the second. If the ball was on the green, he made it. Couldn't walk straight, but could roll in anything. Craziest thing I have ever seen!

Wow. Natty Light at a big money game and drinking 24 beers and playing 36 for big money.

It worked for him. I can't explain it.

I've posted this before in the yoga thread, sorry to sound like a broken record. We've had a few teachers come through the shop and highly recommend yoga as well. Here are some basic poses you can work on (I know it's the women's blog, but it's still good for the guys).

http://blog.clevelandgolfwomens.com/?p=382

There are other core exercises in the exercise section too that probably would be great for the core. One thing my husband sees time and time again is that you don't have to be big or huge to get amazing yardage. We've had petite men (both in size and height) in on our simulator and knock the ball 300 yds. My husband has noticed that their flexibility is amazing. So if it's indeed yardage you'd like, you might consider the yoga/stretching route.

Good luck!

So in lieu of working out you are suggesting drinking instead?. What about drunken Yoga??

I am not suggesting this as a workout. I'm just saying that it has worked for a few. We called him the Tin Man, because of all the swing fluid he drank. I have a few friends that play on mini tours and they all work out and have stretching routines they use. There is actually a place in Edmond, Oklahoma that is a stretching facility (like a gym, but with trainers that help you stretch). Sounded like an interesting concept.

Swing Fluid...LOL.

So i think I have found what I was looking and needed to share it with everyone else.

So I downloaded the MensHealth Workouts App on my iPhone and it has easily a 200 different exercises along with different workout plans. One plan it has is the ultimate golf workout plan that features numerous different core workouts along with some weight lifting thrown in. The app allows you to mix and match exercises and routines to fit your plan. I'm going to start a new plan on Monday and I'll let you all know how it works.

Check it out.

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/mens-health-workouts/id319740615?mt=8

So i think I have found what I was looking and needed to share it with everyone else.

So I downloaded the MensHealth Workouts App on my iPhone and it has easily a 200 different exercises along with different workout plans. One plan it has is the ultimate golf workout plan that features numerous different core workouts along with some weight lifting thrown in. The app allows you to mix and match exercises and routines to fit your plan. I'm going to start a new plan on Monday and I'll let you all know how it works.

Check it out.

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/mens-health-workouts/id319740615?mt=8

Nice, Im going to check that out.

I know it was mentioned that menshealth.com had Camillo's workout but I didnt see it anywhere. Am I just missing something?

So I think that I've put together a fairly comprehensive workout geared towards golf. It focuses on the core, arms, back, and cardio. If you want a copy of it let me know, you can obv. edit it to fit your needs. I start it on Monday, wish me luck. If you want the workout just send me a private message.

I've attached the workout sheet. The cardio, reps, and weights can all be adjusted to suit your needs. I also suggest picking and choosing some of these workouts and making your own workout schedule. What works well for one may not for others. This workout is geared towards strong arms, back, legs, and especially the core muscles of the body. If the workout excersise names don't ring a bell just google them, some people have different names for the same excersise. I'm going to do this workout for a month and then switch it up, so if you like this I may have more in the future.

Golf Fitness

Golf Fitness

Tiger Woods has said that when he joined the tour their were only two guys in the gym: he and Vijay Singh. Since then, the stereotypical PGA Tour golfer (the successful one, at least) has been an athlete with a trainer and everything. There was even a recent special on the Golf Channel about fitness on the PGA Tour. I'm curious what workouts, stretches, or other exercises you have found helpful to your game, and why.

I'll start with a little about me. I became an athlete of sorts after I quite playing golf after high school, and I've tried to stay in some manner of shape since then. Since trying to get back into the game, I've discovered I need to change my workout habits quite a bit in order to maximize the benefit to my game and minimize the harm. For instance, big arms and shoulders can reduce the range of motion of my golf swing, so I've stopped focusing on that. I have a stability ball (I started a thread about it last year), a stretching bar, workout bands, and am in need of a foam roller. I've found a number of sites that have very helpful tips on golf fitness, but probably the most helpful has been Titleist's Performance Institute. The exercises I've found most enjoyable and helpful have been those that emphasize balance and stability, a good shoulder rotation, and wrist health (my left wrist can get hurt easily). A good collection of exercises is found here. What are some of your favorite exercises or stretches? How do you improve your golf fitness?

Back