2 Driver Strategy

Dent

MIA
Reaction score
Handicap
Coming up I have the Manitoba Mens Amateur qualifier and I am really thinking about my club choices. Since I am sans 4 iron I have been considering adding another driver to the bag. The course we are playing at is a links style course and can get really tough when it is windy out. This course doesn't have a lot of forced carries but you can cut a few corners and I would like the carry to do so. I was thinking of playing the following:

Nike Ignite 8.5* w/ Aldila NV in X Stiff
Nike Dymo 10.5* W/stock stiff

The low launching driver would be great against wind because I hit it SUPER low and get a ton of roll with this thing, and then the Dymo would be great for hitting those carries and with the wind holes. If I had just the ignite in my bag I would not be able to carry any obstacles on the course. With drivers if I wanted to hit a low stinger I can't to save the life of me so I think the Ignite would just save me the trouble.

Just seeing what you guys think and if you have ever tried anything like this.

My scramble partner carries a SF 2.0 (low and long) and an old Hi-Bore (high and soft) for this reason. He can actually OVER-drive a couple par 4s on two courses we play on so uses the Hi-Bore for more air time and less distance. He can also cut a corner on a 90* dogleg we have by going up and over the trees. He doesn't carry a 4i either so, do it.

I'm not sure about it, But I wanted to wish you luck......

Why aren't both drivers the same flex?

I have toyed with this idea. I hit a draw with my 910 and a fade with the R11.

I carry a Hibore on a couple courses just for this reason. It comes in handy when you have to carry some trees or when you want to get it up into the Texas wind.

Why not do this? You have the space in your bag, so take advantage of it. This is a no brainer to me. Good Luck!

Back