Week Following a Major

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Do you think that the week following a major should be an off week on the tour schedule? It seems that the week following most majors is pretty slow as far as the field goes and I was pondering this the other day.

On one hand you have a lessened field by some standards, so it gives some other guys a chance to be seen and shine. It also helps the communities that are hosting these events.

On the other hand by shortening the season or having just 4 off weeks, the tour could promote a Nationwide event or even the LPGA (it is a major for them).

While we all know it will most likely never happen, due to dollars and cents, what is your opinion on the subject?

On one hand you have a lessened field by some standards, so it gives some other guys a chance to be seen and shine. It also helps the communities that are hosting these events.

This is why I like the events after a major. Thing is though alot of bigger names are still involved in the field this week. Events like this though let the guys lower on the money list get a chance to earn some more and make their way up to keep their cards.

No. Weeks like this are important to many, many players on tour. A borderline player can make enough money this week to wrap up his 2012 tour card.

I think it would be good for the other tours, but not good for the lower players on the big tour. As a viewer, I would rather them take a week off so I can watch the women play in golf's prime time.

Do you think that the week following a major should be an off week on the tour schedule? It seems that the week following most majors is pretty slow as far as the field goes and I was pondering this the other day.

On one hand you have a lessened field by some standards, so it gives some other guys a chance to be seen and shine. It also helps the communities that are hosting these events.On the other hand by shortening the season or having just 4 off weeks, the tour could promote a Nationwide event or even the LPGA (it is a major for them).

While we all know it will most likely never happen, due to dollars and cents, what is your opinion on the subject?

I dont think it should be an off week for the reason bolded above. I work at Travelers and am volunteering both Thursday and Friday at the tournament this week. These weeks may not draw the major players, but it seems like the entire state revolves around golf for this week. As a golf enthusiest, its awesome to see so many people come out and support the game, even if they dont play. I know it doesnt make for the most dramatic TV coverage but if players want to come play, and people want to come watch, I say play as many events as you can manage.

I agree with what the others have said thus far. Many quality players that do not qualify for the majors as this is an opportunity for them to make a name (and some $$) for themselves. Plus, the PGA would then have to start pulling events from cities and their existing sponsors. As you said JB - money is too big of an issue for this to happen.

As much as I agree with Seth in wanting to see the LPGA or even one of the other tours events I think you still need to have the PGA Tour hold an event. Like a lot of others have said its still an opportunity for some players who usually wouldnt get exposure but I also think if you create buzz from a major, you should try and keep it going. I dont know, I'd even throw a pro am in there and have some celebs golfing with the pros. Make it a little more lighthearted to get some interesting early in the week. I love majors because of all the extra attention they get but somehow I've always hated the letdown after. Its like this incredible buzz for that week and sometime before, then it just vanishes.

• Admin
I like the lesser field to see some new faces. I'd rather enjoy SOME golf instead of NO golf.

You mean enjoy PGA Tour golf, rather than no golf. LPGA, Nationwide, Champions, etc.
If you read my first post, I think it would be a great way to promote both the Nationwide event that week and the LPGA.

I think that when there's time between the majors then there's no reason to not play the week after, however with there only being 3 tournaments between the US open and the open maybe they should consider giving the guys a week off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The week after a major is the week after an off week for quite a lot of players anyway!

I think it's important to get back into the swing of the season right away. You never know, a great major might entice a casual viewer to tune in next week just in case something great happens!

I like the lesser field tourney's. It gives the low end tour players a better shot at a victory and some exposure. There are a ton of guys who struggle to stay on tour and it's nice they don't have to play against the studs every single week. A win for some of these guys can change thier life. Every once in while some no name 30 something wins one of these off week events and it makes for a great story.

You mean enjoy PGA Tour golf, rather than no golf. LPGA, Nationwide, Champions, etc.
If you read my first post, I think it would be a great way to promote both the Nationwide event that week and the LPGA.

I like this idea, but if it were the Nationwide event - how many of the lower section of the PGA tour would try to sneak in to make a buck? Would that be a possibility?

The week after a major is the week after an off week for quite a lot of players anyway!

I think it's important to get back into the swing of the season right away. You never know, a great major might entice a casual viewer to tune in next week just in case something great happens!

That is a good point. But what happens to the casual viewer when they tune in, and dont recognize anybody's face or name? Do you think they continue to watch? Im not sure one way or another.

I think that is why many players love The Heritage. Many say its like walking on egg shells Masters week hoping they don't say or do anything wrong. Some of the really big players don't come but it gives many a week to "relax" while still playing golf. I think it also is important for ones that didn't get into the major be able to play the week after.

What is deal/name with tournment that is always the same week as the British Open? Why aren't there 3 others like this for ones that don't get in?

I like the idea of promoting the LPGA and Nationwide on a hypothetical off-week.

However the PGA golfers who did not qualify for the major would then not have an event the week later to try and play in so some golfers would have 2 weeks off that they would have no say in. The next tournament 2 weeks after the major could suffer as well since some pros would have 2-3 weeks off prior to playing again

On the other hand by shortening the season or having just 4 off weeks, the tour could promote a Nationwide event or even the LPGA (it is a major for them).

Yes, SOME PGA golf. I think you make an interesting point about showcasing another tour, but I've always been a guy who watches the tournaments when it's convenient, mostly because my weekends are pretty busy. While I have enjoyed watching some of the Nationwide, LPGA, Euro tour, and champions tour on golf channel, I've rarely been able to focus on certain players to get that personal cheering aspect of it.

I think you just won me over. Maybe not for the Nationwide tour specifically, but definitely the LPGA. Let them take center stage so people can build an interest.

I like the lesser field to see some new faces. I'd rather enjoy SOME golf instead of NO golf.

Same here. Golf is better than no golf, whether it be on TV or in real life for me.

That is a good point. But what happens to the casual viewer when they tune in, and dont recognize anybody's face or name? Do you think they continue to watch? Im not sure one way or another.

Tough one. It's always going to be tough enticing viewers and therefore sponsors in this case.

Firmly agree with you on this, JB. Specifically, the LPGA. I understand the point that if it was a PGA off week, you would take $$ and excitement out of those communities. Well, why not add a LPGA event as well as promote and broadcast it appropriately? I enjoy watching golf. I think one reason the LPGA events do not attract that many viewers is the quality of the broadcast. I can't speak for the entire golfing community, but to me, the quality of coverage they are giving us is atrocious.
I am never glued to the TV for any sporting event, always multi-tasking with work or something. This weekend for example I will likely be working from my office and I would have a quality LPGA event on if it were available.....

I can see both sides of the issue, but I like that they play the next week. I understand that it may be a "lesser" field, but if you don't want to watch because of a lesser field, are you going to want to watch the Natiowide event? That would be an even weaker field, right? Maybe you get some folks to watch the LPGA event instead if you have an off week, but I think you would be more likely to see a rise in Champions viewership. JMO.

The week after may be a great time for the guys who missed the cut at the major, to get back on the horse. Also, some of the lesser known talent gets a chance to win. I don't remember if the Traveler's was after the US Open last year, but Bubba Watson got his first win there. I would expect a smaller field, but a field of some recognizable pros nonetheless.

I like the smaller tourneys and the winners that come out of them quite a bit. The money that it injects into communites and their charities is also a huge deal as well. I say that it's fine the way it is.

I can see both sides of the issue, but I like that they play the next week. I understand that it may be a "lesser" field, but if you don't want to watch because of a lesser field, are you going to want to watch the Natiowide event? That would be an even weaker field, right? Maybe you get some folks to watch the LPGA event instead if you have an off week, but I think you would be more likely to see a rise in Champions viewership. JMO.

Spot on Yorkem.

Also, besides golf their are other sports related events that pulls eyeballs away ie NHL, Nascar, MLB.

I like the smaller tourneys and the winners that come out of them quite a bit. The money that it injects into communites and their charities is also a huge deal as well. I say that it's fine the way it is.

I agree with hawk. Plus LPGA and Nationwide and Champions tour golf sucks to watch IMO

Back