Callaway RAZR Hawk Driver + Tour Version Review Thread

Wanted to give you a little update on the RAZR Hawk drivers. Spent some time with them and a launch monitor today and they are bombers. While I will be in the minority on forums everywhere, I preferred the regular version to the tour version. But both have one thing going for them.

They have this great sound/feel at impact that is just something I love. Distance was solid across the board and the part that surprised me the most was that I was not expecting much in terms of forgiveness, but found it was there. Not as much as the Octane in my opinion, but not as far off as I expected either.

Numbers were really good and even slightly better than my R9 SuperTri that I switched to from the Diablo Edge. I will have a full write up including launch monitor numbers for 4 golfers coming up after the weekend.

Great stuff JB. Looking forward to it!

Wanted to give you a little update on the RAZR Hawk drivers. Spent some time with them and a launch monitor today and they are bombers. While I will be in the minority on forums everywhere, I preferred the regular version to the tour version. But both have one thing going for them.

They have this great sound/feel at impact that is just something I love. Distance was solid across the board and the part that surprised me the most was that I was not expecting much in terms of forgiveness, but found it was there. Not as much as the Octane in my opinion, but not as far off as I expected either.

Numbers were really good and even slightly better than my R9 SuperTri that I switched to from the Diablo Edge. I will have a full write up including launch monitor numbers for 4 golfers coming up after the weekend.

JB, how did you feel about the shaft offering and the length of said shaft? Or is that something for the review? thanks

is it that nice, muted but powerful 'thud' that Callys seem to have?

thanks for the initial post JB. i like when you gather a few testers, share some data, and share some thoughts. i am pretty excited about trying out this particular line for sure. the octane is a great driver so it will be interesting trying this one out as well.

thanks for the updates JB! Was the distance better than the Octance?

Very curious to hear the sound you are talking about. I may be in the minority here, but I didn't like the sound of the Edge series at all. It sounded more like a ruler hitting a table than a driver hitting a golf ball.

Like the traditional top and modern sole. If we could just get rid of the silly name. I think just the "HAWK" would be awesome, and I'm sure pretty much everybody would agree with me hehe.

JB, how did you feel about the shaft offering and the length of said shaft? Or is that something for the review? thanks

I found the shaft held up really well and offered a nice smooth feel. I expected less and came away pretty impressed.

is it that nice, muted but powerful 'thud' that Callys seem to have?

Its actually less muted to me and has just a nice impact sound. Similar to those that know the FT-Tour line

thanks for the updates JB! Was the distance better than the Octance?

Distance was similar for me. Both lines are solid in that dept.

Distance was similar for me. Both lines are solid in that dept.

I did like the performance of the Octane down at the outing, so even though I'm not looking for a driver, this one has peaked my interest

Very curious to hear the sound you are talking about. I may be in the minority here, but I didn't like the sound of the Edge series at all. It sounded more like a ruler hitting a table than a driver hitting a golf ball.

Like the traditional top and modern sole. If we could just get rid of the silly name. I think just the "HAWK" would be awesome, and I'm sure pretty much everybody would agree with me hehe.

hahaha....I definately agree!!

This driver super intrigues me now. The "Hawk" lol

This driver super intrigues me now. The "Hawk" lol

haha, i bet it does. you're pondering is probably getting out of control!

i'm intrigued as well man, and i hope like crazy that it's available for me at the outing. would love to have the chance to hit it outdoors myself.

haha, i bet it does. you're pondering is probably getting out of control!

i'm intrigued as well man, and i hope like crazy that it's available for me at the outing. would love to have the chance to hit it outdoors myself.

I hope so too. Hopefully they feel some need to love the lefty. Is it bad I want one already?

update your driver want list signature line dude lol
I hope so too. Hopefully they feel some need to love the lefty. Is it bad I want one already?

no, it's not bad man, and i honestly would think that the earth was spinning off its axis if you felt that it was.

Definitely agree with the muted sound, especially with the Razr Hawk, but I actually liked that aspect of the driver. We were hitting into a good wind yesterday so distances were probably a good 8-10 yards shorter than usual I would say, but i was impressed with the 2011 Callaway lineup as a whole. lol what a great perk working at a golf course to try new stuff early!!

Definitely agree with the muted sound, especially with the Razr Hawk, but I actually liked that aspect of the driver. We were hitting into a good wind yesterday so distances were probably a good 8-10 yards shorter than usual I would say, but i was impressed with the 2011 Callaway lineup as a whole. lol what a great perk working at a golf course to try new stuff early!!

no doubt! to say i'm jealous is an understatement. it's nice to have some thoughts coming out from others who've had the chance to hit this line.

Ummmm. This is a HECK of a driver. It has a superb audible tone and feel than many out there and the distance is definitely there. THe forgiveness is surprising in that I was not expecting much, but have come to enjoy it quite a bit. If you are a fan of Callaway drivers, this is a MUST test.

You've got my attention. Are you referring to the Tour or non-Tour version? If the later, does the face sit square in the lower lofts like the Octane?

Thanks for the feedback.

You've got my attention. Are you referring to the Tour or non-Tour version? If the later, does the face sit square in the lower lofts like the Octane?

Thanks for the feedback.

Both. We had both of them out there today. The non-Tour sits pretty square.

Callaway is not normally my cup of tea. The shaft and clubhead look like the black knight. This club is a nice offering. The sound is very muted but you know when you hit a good one. I thought the ball flight was higher for me with this club. The forgiveness is really solid. If you like the Diablo, you will like this club.

Thanks - looking forward to it out in a few weeks along with the Cleveland line.

Ummmm. This is a HECK of a driver. It has a superb audible tone and feel than many out there and the distance is definitely there. THe forgiveness is surprising in that I was not expecting much, but have come to enjoy it quite a bit. If you are a fan of Callaway drivers, this is a MUST test.

Just for faster swing speeds or is this one better then you thought for the average golfer needing some backspin?

Just for faster swing speeds or is this one better then you thought for the average golfer needing some backspin?

Not sure I can answer that yet without some raw data. I would tend to think that in a higher loft 10.5 and up, one could play this one if their numbers are right.

Back