GolfTEC Set Analysis Review

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Talk about an eye opener! Good job Hanks, I enjoyed reading that. It's amazing what some data can do to help your golf game. Eventually, your bag will be completely set up like Pete recommended and I believe you'll be in store for some great golf.

I especially like the wedge analysis. It seems so simple to say that a 52/58 combo would fill in the gaps but you just don't know how far you will hit the wedges. Really nice article Hanks. Spoiler tags next time though. Santa Lives!!

Neat concept. I wonder if all of these sessions would be as in depth for everyone, not just THP. Way to go Todd!

ha, nice write up Hanks! Sounds like you got a load of great info from this process, definitely worth the while! Some great lines used in there too. :D

Only thing I noticed is that your irons are impacting on the toe and they recommended a flatter lie? Is that right?

• Admin
Neat concept. I wonder if all of these sessions would be as in depth for everyone, not just THP. Way to go Todd!

They did not know he was part of THP.

• Admin
Really? I wouldve expected them to know. Thats awesome. Good job.

Yes really.
This is something Hanks wanted to do and the only way a proper writeup of a service like this works is if the "coach" does not know it is for an article.
THP is all about unbiased reports.
And of course you might have skimmed clearly here.

Definitely, The charts caught my eye.

I noticed that too Paulo.

It is kind of hard to question the objectivity of the coach without reading the article no?

I never said I didnt read the article. I just went to "The Experience" first. But if thats what youre going for than Yes, its pretty tough to question the objectivity of the coach without reading the intro to the article.

It is kind of hard to question the objectivity of the coach without reading the article no?

Reactions: JB
Very cool idea for a review and I enjoyed seeing everything that went into your analysis, Hanks. I may have to take a drive and do this myself sometime this summer.

Great writeup - thanks for providing a well detailed description of the process and what it means from beginning to end!

I questioned the same thing initially Paulo.... when looking at my Session Report as well as the hand written notes by the coach they both say 'flat 1* on irons'

ha, nice write up Hanks! Sounds like you got a load of great info from this process, definitely worth the while! Some great lines used in there too. :D

Only thing I noticed is that your irons are impacting on the toe and they recommended a flatter lie? Is that right?

Same question about the lie adjustment.

Also wondering about the set evaluation versus a full club fitting. If I have a club fitting will I know how my current set measures up? If I have a set evaluation will I know what I REALLY should be playing?

FYI, I have used GolfTEC for swing analysis and lessons and have been pleased.

I questioned the same thing initially Paulo.... when looking at my Session Report as well as the hand written notes by the coach they both say 'flat 1* on irons'

Any chance this means your irons are too flat by 1* ?

Either that, or they were measuring your needles instead, since you do say in your report
The testing bay I was in had just about everything you could ever want to see how good or bad your sewing is

hehe, sorry, I just love a funny typo. :D I did enjoy this report, wish we had something similar over this way, but we seem to be lagging behind in fitting and options.

Oh and for those that are curious as to what iron shafts were suggested to me...here they are in order of recommendation (all S flex)

Rifle 5.0
Project X 5.0
Project X 5.5
Nippon Pro 950
KBS Tour 90

These were the iron sets recommended to me as well (no particular order)

Cleveland CG16
Callaway Razr
Mizuno JPX-800
Mizuno MP-53
Nike VR Pro Cavity

Lots of things to ponder .....just don't know which direction to go in now but at least I have the info to chew on. Many thanks to GolfTec!!!

quite possibly, if that's what is meant either I'm clearly mis-reading it or that is not what my coach meant....

Any chance this means your irons are too flat by 1* ?

Either that, or they were measuring your needles instead, since you do say in your report

hehe, sorry, I just love a funny typo. :D I did enjoy this report, wish we had something similar over this way, but we seem to be lagging behind in fitting and options.

quite possibly, if that's what is meant either I'm clearly mis-reading it or that is not what my coach meant....

I'd never second-guess the coach, as I'm just going off my limited experience on this (I'm definitely no expert!). Sure you could get clarification from them if you did get to pondering some new sticks anyway.

Oh and for those that are curious as to what iron shafts were suggested to me...here they are in order of recommendation (all S flex)

Rifle 5.0
Project X 5.0
Project X 5.5
Nippon Pro 950
KBS Tour 90

Hanks - What kind of ball flight were you asking for/recommended that led to these shaft options? Our swing speeds are very similar and there are a couple options here that I had been looking at myself.

Great write-up and it sounds like you had a quality experience.

Awesome info, have always wondered what that experience would be like!

I don't really have an issue getting the ball up in the air so we were looking to get me a mid to mid-high ball flight. That way if I went to an iron set with lesser GI qualities I'd still maintain some of my distance but gain some control as well. The Uniflex or R flex shafts I've been using have all been too 'soft' where they launch the ball too high for me given my swing speed and ball flight capabilities.

Hanks - What kind of ball flight were you asking for/recommended that led to these shaft options? Our swing speeds are very similar and there are a couple options here that I had been looking at myself.

Great write-up and it sounds like you had a quality experience.

I think it makes sense dude. If you need it flatter doesnt that mean the heel of your club is digging and leaving the face open at impact which would cause a strike on the toe? Ida know.

Man see this is where fittings kill me. At the CPC I came in almost 87mph and they said a uniflex was good for me. Might be a tad soft but not much. Aye. Good info to know dude. I need to get to a golftec and get on the mizuno shaft optimizer.

I don't really have an issue getting the ball up in the air so we were looking to get me a mid to mid-high ball flight. That way if I went to an iron set with lesser GI qualities I'd still maintain some of my distance but gain some control as well. The Uniflex or R flex shafts I've been using have all been too 'soft' where they launch the ball too high for me given my swing speed and ball flight capabilities.

I'd definitely give him a ring. If you are coming in toe first, you wouldn't want a flatter club. Unless I'm missing something?

Back