Lindeburg shirts in the heat

jnug

Reaction score
I have only a few Lindeburg pieces. Those I have I bought on sale to try out.

I can't say that I like the trousers as the zipper down the side is a pain in the neck. If you typically have your trousers tailored, even just hemmed the zipper makes that a much more complicated job yet the trousers are not in my opinion of a quality that would suggest the effort makes sense. So unless their stock size fits you to a tee you are stuck.

I had not worn the two shirts I have to play until today. One is an XL and the other is an XXL. I am really pretty big in the shoulders so the XXL is a much better fit for me and that is the shirt I was wearing today. Today was a very warm day with the humidity rising during the day. When I put the shirt on it fit fine. As the humidity rose and I began to perspire, the shirt literally began to shrink around me and it would not stop! Initially I could still move the sleeves up a little and get some relief but over time the sleeve hems got tighter and tighter and I could not move them anywhere and they were almost cutting off circulation. I don't think it was shrinking permanently. However it got to the point where I just could not move at all. I was incredibly uncomfortable, so much so that if I had a spare shirt I would have changed immediately. I was almost to the point of just ripping the thing open at the sleeves I was so uncomfortable. If I would not have looked like a total bum on the course I would have done it. In fact if the pro shop was nearby I would have bought a shirt regardless of the fact that I hate paying pro shop prices for apparel. To be honest it just ruined the day because I was so uncomfortable and I could not tell if the darned thing was going to just keep getting smaller and smaller until it choked the life out of me.

I should have kept the thing on when I got in the car just to see if it would have started to go back to size as I cooled down but I just could not stand to have the thing on for another minute.

None of the Sligo or Poulter shirts I have do that. The Addidas shirts I have are excellent in the heat. In fact their shorts and trousers are also excellent in the heat.

I know some of you have expressed some dissatisfaction with the Lindeburg brand and I also noticed that some of you that have expressed that are from the south where heat is a real big deal. Have some of you also had this happen as well and has that fueled some of your dissatisfaction?

At the least common denominator this is all performance apparel. It seems to me that style considerations aside if it does not do that much it is not worth very much. I have had some regular shirts do something like this under duress but nothing from the performance apparel end of the market.

Their fabric quality has been heading down hill if you ask me for 3 straight years.
Fabric issues and wicking materials that dont wick are major problems for golf apparel.

Their fabric quality has been heading down hill if you ask me for 3 straight years.
Fabric issues and wicking materials that dont wick are major problems for golf apparel.

For some of there prices you would think the quality would be better

Your right ogie. The stuff is not cheap or I guess I should say it is not inexpensive. Now that the darned thing is off of me I can laugh at myself a little although it really did make for a terrible day. It never stopped getting smaller or more correctly, I think the weave kept getting tighter and tighter! That is the part that is kinda' funny and kinda' painful at the same time. it just never stopped and at some point I think I would have had to cut the darned thing off of me.

Dang Jnug that stinks! Such an expensive brand too

For some of there prices you would think the quality would be better

The reason for the high costs for the most part with Lindeburg has to do with the reputation the designer and brand has established in other markets. They are extremely well known for their dress wear, with high quality products and materials used in those products. The problem being, they're not a first hand technical brand, such as brands like Nike, Adidas, and Puma. This is a disadvantage for the brand as golfers are now use to more superior produucts and materials used in other brands clothing.

For example, I may be wrong, but if I remember correctly, Lindeburg still has a high percentage of cotton used in the majority of their shirts. I guess you could say their similar to a brand like Lacoste who has established themselves as a high quality brand in other markets and have tried to carry over that brand recognitng into other markets.

PS: sorry for the terrible spelling and grammer, blackberry's are not ideal for this haha.

The reason for the high costs for the most part with Lindeburg has to do with the reputation the designer and brand has established in other markets. They are extremely well known for their dress wear, with high quality products and materials used in those products. The problem being, they're not a first hand technical brand, such as brands like Nike, Adidas, and Puma. This is a disadvantage for the brand as golfers are now use to more superior produucts and materials used in other brands clothing.

For example, I may be wrong, but if I remember correctly, Lindeburg still has a high percentage of cotton used in the majority of their shirts. I guess you could say their similar to a brand like Lacoste who has established themselves as a high quality brand in other markets and have tried to carry over that brand recognitng into other markets.

PS: sorry for the terrible spelling and grammer, blackberry's are not ideal for this haha.

Actually jl was a brand made popular in the states and elsewhere partly because of Jesper and they were a very technical brand a few years ago. 2 years ago they brought cotton back and it has been a disaster for many many fans.

Actually jl was a brand made popular in the states and elsewhere partly because of Jesper and they were a very technical brand a few years ago. 2 years ago they brought cotton back and it has been a disaster for many many fans.

They actually were tech. before? I did not know that, I only knew about their past as a high quility brand who made dress/office oriented clothing. I remember when Camilo first started wearing it on tour, but I knew nothing of the brand being involved in golf until then. I'm shocked to hear that they didn't always have high concentrates of cotton in their products and then decided to bring it back when everyone else is moving away from it.

On another note, isn't Camilo's contract up after next season, 2012? Will be interesting if he goes back to Lindeburg or if Adidas will offer him more to sport all Adidas/TM.

They showed up on tour long before camilo. Johan and Jesper were friends and they hit gold when he won a tourney early on. I remember he wore pink pants.

They showed up on tour long before camilo. Johan and Jesper were friends and they hit gold when he won a tourney early on. I remember he wore pink pants.

As in Johan Edfors, Euro tour Puma guy now?

As in the founder of jl

Sorry haha thought you meant Johan as the winner in golf, which is where I got confued for a second, but now I'm caught up.

Wow, had no idea the company when back to '96. Like I said, I only knew of them from a formal style of clothing, which was before I got into golf a few years ago and Camilo was wearing it in Tiger '08, which was the same summer I really started watching and following golf full time.

Sorry haha thought you meant Johan as the winner in golf, which is where I got confued for a second, but now I'm caught up.

Wow, had no idea the company when back to '96. Like I said, I only knew of them from a formal style of clothing, which was before I got into golf a few years ago and Camilo was wearing it in Tiger '08, which was the same summer I really started watching and following golf full time.

No worries. Happy to help

No worries. Happy to help

It's been helpful, thanks a lot JB.

As for going back to the original topic, would it have something to do with the cotton in the shirt? Sort of like how cotton shrinks in the washer or dryer when high heat is used.

It is possible that a combination of material and weave is at fault. It appears to me that the weave continues to tighten in response to the combination of heat and moisture. I should put the shirt back on to see if the weave went back to where it was originally now that the shirt has been off and has been cleaned. I did not appear to be shrinkage in the traditional sense although if the shirt has not gone back to where it was then maybe the result is shrinkage.

I think these companies can work in cotton to some extent. Lacoste is probably a good example in fact. However while the Lacoste shirts I have won't do what this shirt did, the Climacool stuff from Adidas that is specifically designed for very hot weather is a much better choice and while some manufacturers do have particular product groupings that are optimal for certain weather conditions, all of the brands that I mentioned earlier will stand up to variables that we encounter on the fairways, at least in my experience. Sligo is very good in just about anything. Poulter's stuff is very good as well. The difference in my view is that if it is extremely warm and humid, stuff like the Adidas Climacool will keep you completely comfortable regardless of the fact that you are at a weather extreme while quality performance apparel that is more middle of road will stand up well and will certainly not be a distraction while maybe just not being optimal for the super head and humidity.

I have several Lacoste shirts and I have never had a Lacoste shirt do that either. I have never had any piece of "performance" apparel do what that shirt did. I should also add Travis Mathew and Under Armor to the list of performance apparel that I have that has never done that to me in extreme conditions. The only reason I have not mentioned others is that I cannot remember other brands that I might have used over time.

To be honest I think there is no excuse for such a poor showing by the Lindeburg shirt.

Back