TaylorMade R11 Driver & Fairway Wood Review Thread

If what has been stated about the ASP by MSB is true then I have to say that I am pretty disappointed. I have questioned from the jump how they could open or close the face without altering the loft and as it turns out you might not even actually be able to.

Can those of you that have already spent some time with the R11 elaborate on the ASP?

If what has been stated about the ASP by MSB is true then I have to say that I am pretty disappointed. I have questioned from the jump how they could open or close the face without altering the loft and as it turns out you might not even actually be able to.

Can those of you that have already spent some time with the R11 elaborate on the ASP?

I need more elaboration as well. Kinda hoping we can get some. I just don't see how changing the "look" of the club at address, which is what ASP seems to do, can maintain once you start the back swing.

The Introduction of Adjustable Sole Plate (ASP) Technology
When you change the clubhead's loft using FCT, you're also forced to change the face angle – increase loft and the face angle closes; decrease loft and the face angle opens. Adjustable Sole Plate solves that problem by allowing you to adjust the face angle independently of the loft, which is controlled by FCT.

The ASP sole plate provides ±2° of face angle change (neutral/square, 2° open, 2° closed). You can create three lofts with the same face angle, or you can further accentuate a face angle or counter a negative face angle. Plus, the combination of ASP and FCT effectively doubles the range of face angle for the club for ±2° to ±4°.

Three Dimensions to Distance (3-D): Combining ASP, FCT, and MWT
Altogether, the combination of ASP, FCT and MWT gives golfers 48 ways to set up the clubhead to promotes up to 100 yards of side-to-side trajectory adjustment, the most of any driver in existence. Combining full FCT and MWT settings promotes a launch-condition range of 2° launch angle and 1,000 RPM.

The FCT system is extremely sleek and streamlined, resulting in less mass and a lower clubhead CG location compared to hosel adjustability systems in competitive drivers.

The R11 includes two weight cartridges weighing 10-grams and 1-gram. To create a neutral bias, install the heavy (10-gram) weight in the toe, for a draw bias, put the heavy weight in the heel. If a more neutral setting is desired, 4 and 6-gram weights are available separately.

Players who prefer a specific face angle setting can bias the weights to adjust trajectory independent of the ASP setting. For instance, a player may prefer an open face angle at address while also desiring a draw-bias performance. With the R11 driver, the player can open the face using ASP and put the heavy weight in the heel, resulting in an open face but a draw-bias weighting.

Understanding 3-D: Three Simple Steps to Fitting an R11 Driver
Metalwoods with TaylorMade’s ASP, FCT and MWT will revolutionize the clubfitting process and promote superior performance. Properly fitting an R11 driver takes three simple steps:

(FCT) Select desired loft by setting the FCT, choosing either Neutral, 1º higher loft, or 1º lower loft (or one of the intermediate positions ±0.5º). When you change the loft, the face angle will be modified. A higher loft equates creates a closed face angle, while a lower loft creates an open face angle.

(ASP) Rest the club in the address position and decide if you want to change the face angle. If the club looks too closed, adjust the ASP to square or open the face. If the club looks too open, adjust the ASP square or close the face. If the face angle look just right, no need to adjust the ASP.

(MWT) Adjust the weights as necessary to achieve the desired trajectory bias. The ball directional tendency goes towards the side that the heavy weight is placed. For example, move the 10-gram to the heel side to create more draw bias.

This might help some..

edit: Although I thought by adding more weight to the toe end is draw bias and to the heel is fade bias. Yes, no?

I need more elaboration as well. Kinda hoping we can get some. I just don't see how changing the "look" of the club at address, which is what ASP seems to do, can maintain once you start the back swing.

I think we'll have to wait for JB on this one. I'm very curious about how the ASP actually works. There must be some sort of mechanism to make it work. A ball joint in the hossel?

Last edited:
So the ASP is more of an "eye pleaser" for the golfer. the FCT does in fact change the loft and face angle. Now i'm way confused.

This might help some..

edit: Although I thought by adding more weight to the toe end is draw bias and to the heel is fade bias. Yes, no?

So the ASP is more of an "eye pleaser" for the golfer. the FCT does in fact change the loft and face angle. Now i'm way confused.

I'm very confused by this too. How can there be no tech behind ASP?

TM says toe weight makes a neutral ball flight Bridges. Don't quite understand that myself either, but am more inclined to believe that over the ASP thing.

What? ASP is just eye candy?

It appears you are right. Just an eye pleaser. But not 100% on that.

Understanding 3-D: Three Simple Steps to Fitting an R11 Driver
Metalwoods with TaylorMade’s ASP, FCT and MWT will revolutionize the clubfitting process and promote superior performance. Properly fitting an R11 driver takes three simple steps:

1. (FCT) Select desired loft by setting the FCT, choosing either Neutral, 1º higher loft, or 1º lower loft (or one of the intermediate positions ±0.5º). When you change the loft, the face angle will be modified. A higher loft equates creates a closed face angle, while a lower loft creates an open face angle.
2. (ASP) Rest the club in the address position and decide if you want to change the face angle. If the club looks too closed, adjust the ASP to square or open the face. If the club looks too open, adjust the ASP square or close the face. If the face angle look just right, no need to adjust the ASP.
3. (MWT) Adjust the weights as necessary to achieve the desired trajectory bias. The ball directional tendency goes towards the side that the heavy weight is placed. For example, move the 10-gram to the heel side to create more draw bias.

What? ASP is just eye candy?

Then what's the point of having the "plate" on the club? It must do something.... I'll be very disappointed if it just acts like the player rotating the shaft in thier hands.

That's exactly what I thought. If you "decrease" the loft of the R11 using FCT it also closes the face. So you have to "open" the face using ASP. But again I would think that it would only look neutral or open att address and not when actually swinging the club. Notice how many times they say "look" in the ASP section of the text that Bridges provided.

It appears you are right. Just an eye pleaser. But not 100% on that.

2. (ASP) Rest the club in the address position and decide if you want to change the face angle. If the club looks too closed, adjust the ASP to square or open the face. If the club looks too open, adjust the ASP square or close the face. If the face angle look just right, no need to adjust the ASP.

I don't like how they say this, but really don't explain it. The ASP must rotate the club in some fashion. It must.

I don't like how they say this, but really don't explain it. The ASP must rotate the club in some fashion. It must.

It moves the head. If you dont like how its closed at address you can open it up some, or if its to open for your liking you can close it some.

So theoretically I can accomplish the same thing on my SuperTri. Say I want to decrease the loft without closing the face I just close the face with the FCT and then roll the club back open in my grip. This accomplishes the same thing as the ASP no?

It moves the head. If you dont like how its closed at address you can open it up some, or if its to open for your liking you can close it some.

How does it do it to negate the change from the FCT? Would it be like just rotating the shaft in your hands to change the look at address? Look is such a subjective term.

So theoretically I can accomplish the same thing on my SuperTri. Say I want to decrease the loft without closing the face I just close the face with the FCT and then roll the club back open in my grip. This accomplishes the same thing as the ASP no?

Not a clue, lol. But I would say yes it appears so from what I got out of reading it. Im sure JB can answer all this better when he gets some time.

http://www.taylormadegolf.com/

Check out the "How to tune R11" section and then watch the second video dedicated to ASP. The ASP merely raises or lowers the head off the ground to give the appearance of an open or closed face.

Honestly, that's what I'm thinking man. I hope we are way wrong but based on the data bridges shared, it seems like we're right.

So this just hit me. If you are the type of player that doesn't even ground the club at address then ASP does absolutely nothing for you.

So this just hit me. If you are the type of player that doesn't even ground the club at address then ASP does absolutely nothing for you.

I beleive that is correct, at least based on what I'm reading and seeing.

Put more weight in the heel, the toe will move faster, so the clubface is able to close easier, which equals draw bias. Put more weight in the toe, it's harder to close the clubface, thus you have fade bias.

Put more weight in the heel, the toe will move faster, so the clubface is able to close easier, which equals draw bias. Put more weight in the toe, it's harder to close the clubface, thus you have fade bias.

Ya Idk what I was thinking, I knew that. because I just added some weight to a club the other day for a fade bias, which i put on the toe of the club. Sorry dont know what I was thinking.

I'm a little nervous about this white driver phenomenon. This seems like a gateway for TM to start painting their drivers pink, blue, red etc. Call me traditional but I just want to see black and that's it.

Again, there may be far more to this ASP thing than we realize and I sure do hope so, but honestly, I'm kinda feeling somewhat bummed about the R11 right now. I am pretty sure that I am positive that the FCT does in fact alter the face angle with the loft, so what makes this different from any of the previous R series drivers that feature FCT? I won't pursue it just b/c it's white, I know that much.

I hope I'm completely missing something. I feel like I've been stood up for a date or something.

That seems like what they are portraying, but that seems too simple for TM to do. Doesn't it open or close the face to put draw or fade bias on the ball? It can't be just for aesthetics.

Again, there may be far more to this ASP thing than we realize and I sure do hope so, but honestly, I'm kinda feeling somewhat bummed about the R11 right now. I am pretty sure that I am positive that the FCT does in fact alter the face angle with the loft, so what makes this different from any of the previous R series drivers that feature FCT? I won't pursue it just b/c it's white, I know that much.

I hope I'm completely missing something. I feel like I've been stood up for a date or something.

Dude, you read my mind. There has to be more to it. My guess is that the ASP controls some sort of ball joint assembly inside the driver that can rotate the head around the hossel negating the effects of the FCT. I could be right out to lunch though.

Back