Cleveland CG Black Fairway Wood Review

Ryan,
Cleveland says that the Black series of fairways and drivers have a draw bias design. Did you notice this, in comparison to FL series and/or other fairways you have hit ?

This has me skeptical. The mashie was a hook machine for me, so I don't need help with a draw.

They do make a 7, Smallie!

I will try to remember to take a pic at that angle tonight for you.
I may have to consider putting a 7 back in the bag! I used one years ago. May have to again.

Ryan,
Cleveland says that the Black series of fairways and drivers have a draw bias design. Did you notice this, in comparison to FL series and/or other fairways you have hit ?

This has me skeptical. The mashie was a hook machine for me, so I don't need help with a draw.

I honestly can't say that I noticed it at all. As I said in the review, my prevailing miss (over time) showed itself to be a pull, which has been my miss with most clubs lately. I never saw a ton of sidespin either way unless I really screwed something up.

Dubble,

I believe the Mashie may not work for you because of its generous offset. Whereas, the Black fairway and driver has a heel weighting, which may not give you the hook effect. That 's just my guess. I'm not gonna write off the Black fairway and driver until I get fitted.

Hit this on the range this morning. I didn't use it on the course because I was hitting 2 other 3 woods. This thing is a beast though. I know Hawk talks about hitting it as far as a driver, man he's dead on. A lot of distance from it. If I were Cleveland I would use it as a mini driver. CG Black 3w and Mashie 5w would be a great combo in my bag

Great review Ryan! I think a solid FW like this can be a real game changer for you. I'm glad you liked it and hope you find some great results long term with it in your bag.

Hit this on the range this morning. I didn't use it on the course because I was hitting 2 other 3 woods. This thing is a beast though. I know Hawk talks about hitting it as far as a driver, man he's dead on. A lot of distance from it. If I were Cleveland I would use it as a mini driver. CG Black 3w and Mashie 5w would be a great combo in my bag

I haven't hit any of these dean, but I really like what you are thinking there. I mini driver 3 wood for off the tee, and a versatile 5 wood.

That's almost exactly what I was thinking.

I would love that setup. Actually, that sounds awesome.

I would love that setup. Actually, that sounds awesome.
I don't know. As soon as I see how the ball compares to the 5 wood (Black) I'll have a better idea of what I might do.

I don't know. As soon as I see how the ball compares to the 5 wood (Black) I'll have a better idea of what I might do.
I have hit the Black 3W and really, really liked it. I want to hit the 5W ASAP.

Excellent write up. I love that Cleveland never stops tweaking and trying to improve.

I have hit the Black 3W and really, really liked it. I want to hit the 5W ASAP.
I am used to and like a low profile, like the old Orlimars. I have a feeling these are taller than that, but depending on how much taller I might still like them. The yardages Hawk was hitting the 5 wood makes me think I will try them even if they are taller than I like!

Here you go - Black, FL, W/S Fybrid

DSCF2406.jpg

DSCF2407.jpg

DSCF2408.jpg

That Black looks like it's ready to just rip the ball! On an unrelated note...did you accidentally run that Fybrid over with a lawnmower? That baby's seen some use eh?

Dayum Hawk, that Fybrid's been used a fair bit eh?

Haha yes it has. Its been around since 2008!

Sent via Tapatalk

I think this would work for me. Now I really need to get hold of one!

Thanks for the pics Hawk.

Cleveland CG Black Fairway Wood Review

I think this would work for me. Now I really need to get hold of one!

Thanks for the pics Hawk.

No prob. I have no doubt that it would work well for you Smalls.

Sent via Tapatalk

No prob. I have no doubt that it would work well for you Smalls.

Sent via Tapatalk
I am coming up this weekend. We're playing somewhere. hahaha

Do it! This is probably the last one here. Then we can watch the viewing party!

Sent via Tapatalk

I wish.

Love to see a straight up comparison between this and the k15. I am getting pretty incredible distances with the pings, if the cg blacks are even longer than those a 5 wood really would be a driver replacement club. I suspect that the pings would still come out on top from the deck though.

Anyone hit both yet?

Its been about 7 months since I hit the K15 so I can't really comment.

For me it is longer than the G20 I reviewed recently.

Sent via Tapatalk

Hawk is the Black going to find a spot in your bag and kick the FL out?

Back