Taylormade Burner SuperLaunch Irons Review

I see. Thanks JB! Can't wait to see the review. Also, this is a little off topic but someone brought up the idea a while back to make a video demoing the various ways to use the Niblick. Is that still going to happen?

It will soon enough.

just wondering when the review for these clubs was going up. thanks!

It will be up very soon TT. This coming week.

Here is the official release from Taylormade.

The revolutionary performance of TaylorMade's Burner® iron has made it the best-selling iron model in the United States, and has helped thousands of golfers elevate their iron games to an entirely new level. But although the Burner iron is engineered to appeal to a very wide range of player types, the fact remains that it isn't for everybody. There are golfers, mainly slower swingers and players who produce a naturally low ball flight, who can't launch the Burner high enough to enjoy the full benefits of the club. As easy as the Burner is to launch high and long, we needed something even easier.

Enter the Burner SuperLaunch, an iron specifically designed to be spectacularly forgiving and easy to get in the air, allowing a certain segment of players - mainly slower swingers and low-ball hitters -- to get more distance. In addition, Burner SuperLaunch iron's generous offset helps straighten a slice and promote a draw.

Burner SuperLaunch irons are also engineered to deliver tremendous forgiveness from end-to-end (heel to the toe) and top to bottom (topline to leading edge). In fact, it's the most forgiving iron ever from TaylorMade. That makes it a great iron for high-handicappers with patterns of inconsistent ball-striking. In fact, Burner SuperLaunch irons boast the highest MOI of any TaylorMade iron, ever.

Multifunctional, Beveled Sole Promotes High Launch
The first thing you notice about Burner SuperLaunch irons is that each features a wide, multifunctional sole, which is key to establishing the low and deep CG location that makes every one of these irons so easy to get high in the air. However, each sole is strategically beveled to reduce the degree of interaction with the turf. That means you get the low-deep CG-positioning benefits of a large sole, yet it plays like a much smaller, narrower sole.

When you rest a Burner SuperLaunch iron behind the ball, you'll notice the substantial topline, which contributes to the exceptional stability and forgiveness. TaylorMade engineers cambered the topline's rearward edge to give it a downward slant, resulting in a more dynamic appearance.

Individually-designed Long-irons, Mid-irons and Short-irons
Like the Burner irons, the Burner SuperLaunch long-irons, mid-irons and short-irons were designed separately, which is clear when you see the long-irons, which boast a decidedly low-profile shape compared to the rest of the set. This shape, when combined with the wide sole and deep cavity, help make Burner SuperLaunch long-irons so much easier to launch at lower swing speeds. The low-profile shape also makes the long-irons look easy to hit, too. On the opposite end of the set, Burner SuperLaunch short-irons have a traditional face-height and profile, while the middle-irons are of medium-profile, about halfway between the traditional profile of the short-irons and low-profile of the long-irons.

Progressive Face Thickness throughout the Set
Progressive face thickness throughout the set has the thinnest faces in the long-irons for higher COR, faster ball speed and better weight distribution and thicker faces in the short-irons for better feel. Inverted Cone Technology in every Burner SuperLaunch iron helps expand the area of the clubface that delivers fast ball speed to promote more distance on off-center hits.

Of course, the most critical performance benefit of Burner SuperLaunch is how easily they launch the ball and how high they launch the ball. Slower swingers will find it a breeze to launch these irons on an extremely high flight and with the spin necessary to keep the ball in the air long enough to achieve significant added carry, and when the ball comes down it will land steeply and softly.

New Grooves Design
Burner SuperLaunch irons incorporate a new TaylorMade groove design that conforms to the USGA's new ruling on grooves, which will be enforced in high-level competition starting in 2010 and in recreational golf starting in 2024.

Availability and Pricing for Burner SuperLaunch
The standard set of Burner SuperLaunch irons includes 4-iron through attack wedge, and will be offered at a street price of $599 with steel shafts and $799 with graphite. A 3-iron and sand wedge are also offered separately. Burner SuperLaunch irons are offered in four shaft flexes - S, R, M, L. The Burner SuperLaunch ladies' set features its own unique purple color palette. Burner SuperLaunch irons will become available starting on April 1, 2010.

For those who missed it JB posted above ^^^ the official press release for the TM Burner Super Launch Irons. We will have a review on those very soon.

JB, there's a picture on the homepage and then when you go into the review, which is very thorough, there's no pictures. Is this a new direction for the reviews, less pictures and more info? I liked the last review, I forget which one, but it had high res pictures if you clicked them. Thought that was cool.

JB, there's a picture on the homepage and then when you go into the review, which is very thorough, there's no pictures. Is this a new direction for the reviews, less pictures and more info? I liked the last review, I forget which one, but it had high res pictures if you clicked them. Thought that was cool.

Kevin,
We actually have no idea what happened, they just seemed to disappear. But they should be back now.

Kevin,
We actually have no idea what happened, they just seemed to disappear. But they should be back now.

Oh yeah, they're back!That is strange. I also noticed the picture on the homepage seemed to have changed once too. Unless that was by design. Maybe Hacker is just messing with our heads lol

Bump for the pm readers.

sorry i didnt have the correct name. i met the new edge irons. how would you compare the superlaunch to the callaway edge irons?

sorry i didnt have the correct name. i met the new edge irons. how would you compare the superlaunch to the callaway edge irons?

Very different irons. The Superlaunch are going to be a little more forgiving throughout the head and definitely have a higher launch. Moving hte ball around is going to be a little harder as well. The Diablo Edge are definitely GI irons, but you can still move the ball when wanted and the ball flight is different.

It will come down to personal preference, both are extremely forgiving irons.

They are different. Both are SGI irons, but I have to say that I find the Clevelands more hybrid like and the TM's more iron life. They both have a different feel, sound, look, but they do have similar performance.

Bought new TM Super launch irons

Bought new TM Super launch irons

Bought new TM Super Launch irons, with regular flex steel shafts, but it's snowing in Chicago area, so I haven't tried them on a course yet. Can anyone tell me if there is a big difference between these new 85 gram light weight steel shafts and graphite shafts for this iron set?

Welcome. Sorry, can't help you with your question, but I hope you can get out with the soon.

Merged this in with the SuperLaunch review thread because you might find some helpful info in here.

Personal opinion here is that they are very different shafts and have a very different feel. I played a full set of steel irons, but also had 7-PW in the graphite version. I preferred the steel for me personally, but both worked well. I think it would really depend on fitting and make sure the shafts work for your swing.

I tried my new TM super launch irons yesterday at a golf Dome, and they really do get the ball in the air, quickly. Also, I used to used to use a 6 or 7 iron to hit 100 yards, but a 9 iron worked at the dome.

These look pretty interesting. I am definetly gonna try these out in the future. Cause I always have a problem with high launch.

JB, or anyone who has tested these and others, would these be the most forgiving irons out there? I am looking for a set of very forgiving irons and am thinking of these, the Diablo Edge and the G15s. I know these are more SGI than the others. I shoot around 100 and struggle mainly with irons. Any thoughts?

Maybe to more specific, I know the Diablo Edge for example is different, as it is more game improvement than SGI like these and one can work the Diablo Edges a little more. As a high handicapper, do I need to worry about working the ball? I think more than anything else, I am looking for a recommendation so I can go into a fitting with an idea in mind and take it from there.

JB, or anyone who has tested these and others, would these be the most forgiving irons out there? I am looking for a set of very forgiving irons and am thinking of these, the Diablo Edge and the G15s. I know these are more SGI than the others. I shoot around 100 and struggle mainly with irons. Any thoughts?

I didn't test them, but I did hit them last year. I liked the Cleveland HB3's better. Although, the ones I hit had a stiff shaft. I've never hit any irons better than the ones I'm using now. SGI all the way for me, at least for now!

Back