Exotics Trilogy Hybrid - My Personal Review

Griff

Hey Man, Nice Shot
Reaction score
Handicap
I don't think a single review of the Exotics Trilogy Hybrid exists. Well, let's change that. Here we go.

Tour Edge has quite a cult following seemingly centered around their fairway woods. I tell you what, if I was a better ball striker I would have owned some Exotics FWs long ago. Tour Edge has 2 lines, their budget minded "Bazooka" type clubs and their Exotics line aimed at better players. This kind of leaves a hole in their line as mid cappers probably look for more performance than the budget clubs offer, but don't want to spend $300 on a FW that is suited to a lower capper swing. Enter the Exotics Trilogy line. The Trilogy's fit between the budget clubs and the higher end Exotics. After hitting the Trilogy here and there I finally bought the 5W. Sweet club, but this is about the hybrid. The pictures show both the FW and hybrid together to illustrate the similarities between the 2 clubs.

5887963603_5d1c23c01c_z.jpg

5888528316_8be640bd06_z.jpg

5888528948_d1ac12ee67_z.jpg

Basically, the hybrid is a shorter and smaller version of the FW. Performance is just about the same as well.

5888530038_c3d4f2c81e_z.jpg

5887963907_1d836454bc_z.jpg

Very nice head cover. Standard grip is a logo'd Tour Velvet, same as on the FW. Nice grip, nicer than a lot of grips I have seen on new clubs lately. My iron grips are New Decades so having them change the grip was a no brainer (it was free) as the club was purchased as a special order and sent to me from Tour Edge. I went with the standard shaft. It's a Graphite Design Tour AD 60, probably a made for Tour Edge shaft. More on how it does later. In phone conversations Tour Edge says they can put whatever shaft you want in your clubs.

Looks/Design
I will let the pictures do the talking here. I think it's dead sexy. At address there are no distractions although the shaft is 2 toned. Red about 6-7" below the grip and it becomes bluish-gray the rest of the way down. Something to keep in mind if this bothers you. Unlike the FW that likes to flop open at address, the hybrid sits nice and square behind the ball.

The main feature of the Trilogy is the sole. It is designed so that only the mid line of the sole hits the ground. You can see in the pictures how handy this can be. For exact specs of the club head to Tour Edge's site. The 4H is actually 23.5* per Tour Edge.

Ball Flight
Going to call it mid. Off the tee I have hit some really high balls. This club is designed to get the ball in the air. Best to find a fluffy lie in the tee box and leave the tee in your pocket. From the fairway and rough the ball seems to get up quickly and flatten out quickly. The shaft performs very well and seems to be a perfect fit for the club.

Distance
Long. Hitting Bridgestone 2011 E6's here are some distances I had from a tee box a few days ago. Buddy of mine was out in the fairway with his new laser to help me out. My driver SS averages 95, close to 100 if I am fully warmed up and close to 90 if I am tired.

1st - 212
2nd - 203
3rd - 245 (hit a draw and my buddy started chasing it, rolled a mile, obviously)
4th - 211
5th - 217
6th - 183, oops

Roll out was 10-15 yards per laser guy....so about 200 carry is what I expect. Those are gaudy numbers if you ask me. Some Exotics mojo in these hybrids.

Forgiveness/Feel
Feel is solid. Metallic muted sound. Forgiveness is exceptional. If you hit a crappy shot, expect a crappy result. If you miss a bit you won't be punished too severely.

Accuracy
I really don't notice movement left to right unless I am purposely trying to draw something. Fades become slices for me so it's not a shot I utilize. It's a straight shooter and I detect no weighting that would promote left or right shots.

From the Turf
This is where this hybrid (and wood) shine. You would think that rail on the sole makes tighter lies more difficult. In practice I have not seen this at all. Out of the rough, from the fairway, and even from dirt this club is the best hybrid I have hit when it comes to turf interaction. This is a true rescue club.

I don't want to go too overboard on the finer details right now. This is just an intro to what I have been experiencing and I will edit and update this thread when I see things I have missed. More details will follow such as detailed shot descriptions.

Great club and please don't hesitate to ask questions!

Last edited:
Great review.. Although I've never used a TE I have heard great stuff about them.

Tap tap taparoo

Ok, time for some details on some shots I had in my last round.

Hole 1 is par 5 510 yards with a pond in front of green. Hit a less than stellar drive that leaked a little left and I wound up 1 yard in the rough. I have never gone for this green in 2 as that pond will drink any shot I have in my bag. My lie was not that great. About 50% of the ball was covered up. Pulled the Trilogy and cranked it out of the rough easily. I was shocked at the result. Before I had this hybrid I would have taken an iron out of that spot. Odds are I would have an awkward yardage in to the green. I got a little worried as I thought I might roll it in the pond, but it stopped short and left me with 60 yards or so. An easy 49 Niblick into the green to 5 feet, birdie.

Hole 3 is a 315 par 4. Wicked little slight dogleg right to a very elevated green. Pond runs along the right side that eats up any shot in the 150-210 range. A straight drive will put you behind trees on the left. So, this takes a drive with a fade or a straight hybrid/FW shot. I used the Trilogy and hit a dead straight shot along the pond. No worries, landed in FW a little past the pond.

Hole 4 is a 300 yard par 4. Easy enough right? Problem is the green is extremely elevated. Bad tee shot = nearly impossible approach. Well, I hit a bad tee shot that got tangled in the trees and left myself about 170 to the green from the rough. If I wasn't pushing this hybrid I would have laid up, the green is that hard to hit and hold. Used the Trilogy, lie wasn't too horrible. Nailed it to the back fringe. This thing gobbles up the rough so far.

Just 3 shots that 9. What I am seeing is when I am in trouble this club helps me get back on track. More details to follow as I put things together.

Great info on this hybrid. Sounds like it is loooooong.

Great review. I've heard good things too, might have to check these out. Thanks for the pics too, I dont' think I've ever seen these.

Great info on this hybrid. Sounds like it is loooooong.

Yes. Left a hole in my bag that may be an issue. When I demo'd them on the range it was fine as I got to hit them next to the Redlines a few tents down. However, with my regular ball it goes farther than anticipated. I had the Trilogy 3H and sent it back once I saw the 4H was acting like a typical 3H.

Got to play today, finally. Been a crazy busy work week.

What a great club. I used the 4H as my longest club so it got a lot of action. Only 1 significant mishit low and out toward the toe. I could feel it immediately at impact and went a little right and low about 175. This hybrid just rocks out of the grass. That small contact point on the sole is working out well for me.

It hits like the FW so it's nice to take the same swing at both clubs. Another thing I am noticing is there seems to be zero directional bias in the club. It's probably as close to neutral as any hybrid I have ever hit. Can go right/left pretty easily if I try. This is only subjective as I have no idea how this club is weighted. I don't find myself compensating for a left or right shot if that makes sense. Straight shots are the norm.

As a side note, I was reading a Golf Digest at the barber shop today and they added this hybrid to their gold hotlist. Not sure if that matters to anyone. Since Tour Edge doesn't seem to advertise with them my guess is they actually liked it. Come to think of it I don't think Tour Edge advertises anything.

Very nice review and a great read...thank you.

Great review! I have TEE XCG-3 in 2/3/4. They are the only hybrid I have ever been able to hit. The face on these clubs is HOT! I may have to try this version based on your review. I also picked up a CB4 3 fwy today and it is a beast!

Great write ups and review. I always look at the brand, but the price is normally what makes me put it back.

Very nice review and a great read...thank you.

Welcome!

Great review! I have TEE XCG-3 in 2/3/4. They are the only hybrid I have ever been able to hit. The face on these clubs is HOT! I may have to try this version based on your review. I also picked up a CB4 3 fwy today and it is a beast!

Hit the XCG 4. Those hybrids are volcanic hot. I hit the Trilogy better so that's what I bought. When you connect with the XCG 4 hybrid it is like butter. Less forgiving than the Trilogy, but even longer. In the end the playability of the Trilogy won out for me. And yes, the CB4's are ridiculous. My swing isn't good enough to own them..wish it was!

Great write ups and review. I always look at the brand, but the price is normally what makes me put it back.

Thanks!

Darned right. The usual Exotics offering is exotic in price for sure. The Trilogy line is right along the lines of all the OEMS in price. They are on to something and I hope they continue with it in the future.

Don't hesitate to ask questions all. Always willing to help out.

The sole reminds me of the sole on my Raylor. I absolutely hate it! That is just a personal thing though. It is a club I have no confidence in and the different sole plays a role in this. I actually find them to be very similar looking clubs.

L_70c40e43db740920261e2f24141a8782.jpg

taylormade_raylor.jpg

Never had the opportunity to hit a Raylor. I really can't compare the 2 other than saying they look similar in the images.

Believe the shop down the road has a used Raylor. If it's still there I will hit it and give my feedback.

Great review griff.
I tested the Trilogy 3 wood for THP and really liked the club.
It was a bomber from the rough or the fairway and I killed it from the tee.
I was a bit skeptical about the sole on it, but it proved to be a real aid in keeping the clubface square in the rough.

So I picked up the Trilogy hybrid #4/23* to compare to my XCG-3 #4 hybrid. Interestingly the XCG-3 is 21* in the 4 so it may not have been a completely fair comparison. I warmed up and then hit the XCG first. I got three good swings with it finally and switched over to the Trilogy. The Trilogy is definitely different at set up with its smaller head, but performance for me was better. I got better ball flight, higher, and seemed more forgiving. No very noticeable lack of distance although it was hard to tell since we were hitting from the opposite end of the range. I am very impressed with this version and look forward to seeing the performance on the course.

Nice review Griff. The Trilogy hybrid is in my top three list. Will be giving it another try along side of the mashie and Raz X tomorrow for the final decision on the 3 & 4 hybrid. It is a very solid club and I did like the shape. It does help get the ball out of some thicker lies!

So I picked up the Trilogy hybrid #4/23* to compare to my XCG-3 #4 hybrid. Interestingly the XCG-3 is 21* in the 4 so it may not have been a completely fair comparison. I warmed up and then hit the XCG first. I got three good swings with it finally and switched over to the Trilogy. The Trilogy is definitely different at set up with its smaller head, but performance for me was better. I got better ball flight, higher, and seemed more forgiving. No very noticeable lack of distance although it was hard to tell since we were hitting from the opposite end of the range. I am very impressed with this version and look forward to seeing the performance on the course.

Sounds like you experienced the same things I did. The XCGs may be longer, but the Trilogy is more forgiving and for me, more playable. Not saying the Trilogy is short at all. At 23.5* It's about on par with other 19-21 hybrids I have hit. My mishits are not directional misses, but the trajectory of the shot is greatly effected if I catch one low. This doesn't give much distance loss at all, just more of a running shot. Anywhere else on the face feels about the same. I have yet to have an extreme heel or toe miss so not sure what will happen when I do.

Grats on the the new stick!

That is my only hangup with the xcg-3 model, low trajectory. I can rarely stop the ball on the green. Dare I say that the xcg-3 is "too hot"! I am hooked, hope the honeymoon lasts!

Nice review Griff. The Trilogy hybrid is in my top three list. Will be giving it another try along side of the mashie and Raz X tomorrow for the final decision on the 3 & 4 hybrid. It is a very solid club and I did like the shape. It does help get the ball out of some thicker lies!

After demoing the 3H (and returning it after seeing what the 4H was doing) and putting the 4H in play I don't think I would run a 3-4 setup. A 2H 4H or 3H 5H setup would be ideal. Knowing I don't hit lower lofted hybrids any better than a higher lofted FW I went with the 5W for the extra yards. My God the Trilogy 5W is long. Longer than the 3W I had for sure. These seem to do best solo or 2 clubs apart. I am sticking with solo and I may add the Redline 5I to cut down the gap between my 6I and 4H. Saying a lot as the Redline 6I is a rocket launcher for me. Whatever you decide I am sure you'll love what you pick.

That is my only hangup with the xcg-3 model, low trajectory. I can rarely stop the ball on the green. Dare I say that the xcg-3 is "too hot"! I am hooked, hope the honeymoon lasts!

Heck yeah. The XCG stuff is built for distance above all else. The newer XCG hybrid is a step in the right direction if you ask me. I sensed some additional forgiveness and they somehow improved feel and distance over previous models. Tour Edge is a fantastic maker and I really hope they continue to make the Exotics line more accessible to regular Joes like me. The Trilogy line is pure, "Save me please!" as opposed to a regular hybrid/FW wood that likes nice short grass or a man made tee box lie.

Last edited:
Finally got to the store and the used Raylor was not there. Would love to hit them side by side, even into a net.

Getting more comfortable with the club. Strong swing from me gives a beautiful ball flight. Fast and aggressive swings get the ball pretty high. Nice and easy swings are kinda weak in results. Again, just me, will differ for everyone.

Liking the shaft. Climbs and climbs. Ball drops out of flight without a ton of rollout...from the grass. From the tee I can get a lower flight that runs quite nicely. Trajectory control is something I am learning with the hybrid. Loving I can even do that with a hybrid. Many hybrids, sure it is my swing, have just one type of ball flight. Still learning the ins and outs, having a blast.

Really nice review and follow ups, Griff. Thanks, I am liking my TEE fairway woods a lot already and have just bought a used XCG #4 hybrid on-line. Might be here by weeks end!! The CB4 4 wood keeps up pretty well (when I hit it right) with my playing buddies 460 cc drivers, much to their consternation.

Awesome review Griff! I'm in the hunt for a hybrid, and this one sounds great!

I wish golf was as easy as Tapatalk.

Awesome review Griff! I'm in the hunt for a hybrid, and this one sounds great!

I wish golf was as easy as Tapatalk.

Thanks! I am still enjoying the hybrid. Very easy to hit and pretty versatile out of bad lies.

Thanks! I am still enjoying the hybrid. Very easy to hit and pretty versatile out of bad lies.

I am enjoying my 3 and 4 trilogy also. These hybrids have been the easiest to hit of all of the countless others I have had.

How is the 5 fwy? I was checking out a 3 fwy in Edwin Watts yesterday but did not pull the trigger on it. I like my CB4, but wondered if the trilogy would be easier to hit.

I've played with the Trilogy 3w for about a month, it was one of the easiest fairway woods I have hit. I had great success with it.

I am enjoying my 3 and 4 trilogy also. These hybrids have been the easiest to hit of all of the countless others I have had.

How is the 5 fwy? I was checking out a 3 fwy in Edwin Watts yesterday but did not pull the trigger on it. I like my CB4, but wondered if the trilogy would be easier to hit.

Back