PING Tour-S Wedge

If I remember right it is slightly open

very nice looking wedge. Is the cavity in the back open or am I seeing that wrong?

you're probably right but I'm definitely keeping an open mind. I've never hit anything with a KBS shaft in it and I've always thought PING wedges were harsh and had little feel to them so I'm curious to see what the cavity back/KBS shaft combo platter tastes like.

I think that Ping's wedges are really unattractive. There's way too much going on on the cavity. For a blade like wedge, it doesn't appear very blade like. I also don't think that the shaft will hold a candle to the Spinners. Good luck with the review Hanks, but I personally don't see this wedge having a shot at making its way into your bag.

yeah it's usually on the bland side too but something about this wedge really has me liking it. maybe it's because it's so not like PING to do something like put a cavity back on a wedge
The look of this one doesn't bother me too much, but I've always felt that PING makes some pretty oogly stuff.

+1, I had thought for sure after hitting the JAWS that they'd be in my bag but those spinner shafts were really something for my swing.
Oh yeah, I've tried them out a few times. I really wanted to like them b/c of the interchangeable face plate but they just weren't the best for me. Had I not happened to try out the Mizzie's at the outing, I would have JAWS wedges in my bag, but once I hit the MPT's w/Spinners, I was sold.

Anyway, back to the PING wedge here, I still think it's ugly. In fact, I've always not been fond of PING's wedge offerings. I'm keen to hear what the Hankster has to say.

If I remember right it is slightly open

I dont know if I like that. How are you supposed to clean any junk out of it

With your THP Spotless Swing Towel, yo!

seriously, I'll get a better pic for you man so we can get to the bottom of this.
I dont know if I like that. How are you supposed to clean any junk out of it

With your THP Spotless Swing Towel, yo!

seriously, I'll get a better pic for you man so we can get to the bottom of this.

but my towel wont fit in that tiny hole. Thanks buddy, I am very interested to know

FWIW- I counted the number of grooves on the face of the Tour-S compared to the MPT-11. The PING has 15 grooves and the Mizzy has 14.

FWIW- I counted the number of grooves on the face of the Tour-S compared to the MPT-11. The PING has 15 grooves and the Mizzy has 14.

lets see a pic of those grooves

can't post pics at work. I'll take a pic of them when I'm hitting them tomorrow afternoon

lets see a pic of those grooves

Spent some quality time with the PING Tour-S wedge today. Basically I'm in shock at how well this wedge performed. Very crisp, consistent feeling and you could really feel the club head throughout the shot. The shaft felt really good but I suspect that it's true calling comes from more full shots beyond the chipping and pitching I focused on today. Next time out I'll focus solely on those type of shots but today I just wanted to get a feeling for it

Per One'T's request, here are some detailed shots of the cavity back. It's not completely open but 'stuff' could get stuck in there I suppose
IMG_0196.jpg

Also oer One-T's request, here's a shot of the grooves and some 'wear' after about 75 chips and pitches
IMG_0198.jpg

Here's a look at the club at address from the 'rough' and 'fairway'
IMG_0200.jpg

IMG_0202.jpg

With my final 10 balls I thought I'd do some mini flops from about 6-10 yds out (5 from fairway/5 from rough)....check out this grouping. Wish I could say I placed them like this but the wedge is plain GOOD
IMG_0203.jpg

IMG_0205.jpg

Great pics and info, Hanks! Nice wedge work as well.

sounds like it passed it's first round of testing Hanks. Thanks for the additional pics.

Definitely made a good first impression today. Can't wait to get some full shots in with this to see what the shaft has to offer

Tapatalk, it's not for everyone

I like the looks of these wedges , but only available 3 lofts and bounce .
Sure like the looks of that Rustique model !

Wow Hanks, you're becoming quite the artist with that wedge. Impressive flopping my friend! Hope I can join you at that facility next weekend.

Wow Hanks, you're becoming quite the artist with that wedge. Impressive flopping my friend! Hope I can join you at that facility next weekend.

Thanks G4L,I was really impressed with this wedge yesterday. Alas, I will be in FL next weekend my friend doing all things PGA but we will get together to play with all the new stuff soon.

Tapatalk, it's not for everyone

Thanks for the pics and updates sir Hanks. Overall, I like the looks, I just can imagine stuff getting in the back. Might not bother some, but it would drive me up a wall!!!

Hanks, was the 56 the only wedge that you tested?

The results that these wedges have been getting are impressive and I'm going to demo them sometime. I'd like to see how they match up the CG15's.

The results that these wedges have been getting are impressive and I'm going to demo them sometime. I'd like to see how they match up the CG15's.

Hanks, was the 56 the only wedge that you tested?

Yes like JB said I only received the 56* but I really like it so far. This will be a full blown testing weekend for me with this wedge and some other goodies I'm reviewing. I finally have some time to really focus on testing which I'm looking forward to doing.

I've hit the 15's and the 16's and I actually like the PING wedge better than those right now. yes it's only based on a single wedge but the KBS shafts that are in the PING's are really nice. not as nice as the DG Spinners but nice. I think they'll really shine on full shots

I think they'll really shine on full shots

I really like my CG15 but am looking for options and I ran across these, I like the look (some may not), so I'm going to have to get out there and give them a shot.

P.S. I noticed in your "review" pictures that you were in an indoor facility with a green. Where is that? I am originally from the Philly area (and now live in Harrisburg) and would be interested to know.

These are some of PING's better looking clubs imo. I'm in the minority for that opinion but there's uglier wedges out there to be had that don't perform like these.

The facility is in Oaks, PA which is prob an hour to 1:15 from Harrisburg
http://www.parbreakers.com/

I really like my CG15 but am looking for options and I ran across these, I like the look (some may not), so I'm going to have to get out there and give them a shot.

P.S. I noticed in your "review" pictures that you were in an indoor facility with a green. Where is that? I am originally from the Philly area (and now live in Harrisburg) and would be interested to know.

Back