Player to join Palmer, Nicklaus at Augusta

Smallville

#ICanHitADraw
Reaction score
Handicap
In Flux
http://www.golf.com/golf/tours_news/article/0,28136,2081511,00.html

AUGUSTA, Ga. (AP) — The original "Big Three" will be together again on the first tee at Augusta National next year.

Gary Player has agreed to join Arnold Palmer and Jack Nicklaus as an honorary starter at the Masters. They have 13 green jackets among them. The last time they were on the opening tee together was in 2001, when they played in the same group over the first two rounds. Next year, they will hit only one shot in a ceremonial start to the tournament.

The tradition of an honorary starter at the Masters began in 1963.

Palmer first accepted the role in 2007, and Nicklaus joined him in 2010. The last time the Masters had three honorary starters was in 1999 with Gene Sarazen, Byron Nelson and Sam Snead.

http://www.golf.com/golf/tours_news/article/0,28136,2081511,00.html

AUGUSTA, Ga. (AP) — The original "Big Three" will be together again on the first tee at Augusta National next year.

Gary Player has agreed to join Arnold Palmer and Jack Nicklaus as an honorary starter at the Masters. They have 13 green jackets among them. The last time they were on the opening tee together was in 2001, when they played in the same group over the first two rounds. Next year, they will hit only one shot in a ceremonial start to the tournament.

The tradition of an honorary starter at the Masters began in 1963.

Palmer first accepted the role in 2007, and Nicklaus joined him in 2010. The last time the Masters had three honorary starters was in 1999 with Gene Sarazen, Byron Nelson and Sam Snead.

Very cool IMO. Very.

I know this is off topic. But any THPer hear back about Masters tickets?

It made me think about it cause how cool would it be to get pictures of the big three during the par 3 contest. Man I wish I could get tickets to the real thing

I think it is perfect that Player, Palmer, and Nicklaus are now all honorary starters. It was just a matter of time, but glad it has happened.

I think it is perfect that Player, Palmer, and Nicklaus are now all honorary starters. It was just a matter of time, but glad it has happened.

Ya that is awesome!

Tap tap taparoo

How cool Smallie, that is how it really should be. I have had the privilege of seeing all three at Augusta National, I am glad this tradiditon continues with the true legends of golf.

I have been wondering when this was going to happen. Glad to see it finally did.

Nice, great idea

I know this is off topic. But any THPer hear back about Masters tickets?

It made me think about it cause how cool would it be to get pictures of the big three during the par 3 contest. Man I wish I could get tickets to the real thing

Hit the link to see my best friend have the experience of a lifetime at the 2010 Masters Par 3 Tournament...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=siHFEC-R5Pc

He works on the infomation boards as a volunteer. He did not horn in - Gary Player called him past the ropes. And he said that scorecard will NEVER be for sale!

that's awesome

That is just about the coolest thing ever, inside the ropes with the Big 3, and coming away with all threes autographs. Too cool.

Back