Help with Iron Shaft Selection

hcopenhagenh

Reaction score
Handicap
Hi all. 41 years old and used to play golf a lot when I was younger. Pretty much gave it up when I had kids due to finances around 12 years ago. Up until recently if I played more than 4 times a year that was a lot. My daughter just picked up playing the game and I have played a dozen times the past couple of months. I have decided to get new clubs.

In my business I have the ability to order Taylormade clubs on an employee discount program so I will be getting all new Taylormade clubs. The employee website went through maintenance and until recently have not been able to customize for fitting. I already have the R11 Driver in the stiff shaft and the Burner 2.0 Superfast rescues in stiff shaft. The only thing I need to do with those is to take them in and get them regripped. Other than that I love them.

I am purchasing the Burner 2.0 Irons because I know they are very forgiving. I have waited to order the custom because I have to add 1" onto my iron lengths. My dilemma has been shaft selection. I know I need an R-Flex, after that my head is spinning on what to do.

Currently I have old knock off KTour knock offs with True Temper Stratus Sensicore Shaft that are high launch I believe. The clubs feel heavy I believe because the club heads are heavy. They are clunky. I hit them fairly well, I just don't like the weight. I believe the shaft weight is around 104 according to what I could find on the specs because these are discontinued shafts. I hit them really high. Trajectory is not my problem because I can get the ball in the air. I have used buddies clubs and don't have a problem with their mid and low launch shafts getting the ball off the ground.

I did get fitted at Edwin Watts and the shaft selector came up with Dynalite Gold XP R-300 or the Project X 5.0. What I don't know is if that Project X was the regular shaft or the Flighted. I got my swing speed tested yesterday and the guy in the local shop said on was more of a tweener needing stiff or regular flex. When I would swing nice and smooth I hit the ball fine. When I would swing easy with and let the club head do the work I hit the ball fine. When I jacked up the swing speed the shots were erratic. He told me if I took a couple of lessons and practiced he would recommend a stiff shaft. Right now though he would recommend regular.

Here are the results from my fitting with a 6 Iron from Edwin Watts.

Club Head speed average 74. I can get my club head speed higher but then my irons become erratic.
RPM of Spin was 5300 which according to the fitter is very good.
Launch Angle was 16.7.
Swing Path O/I
Shot Shape Draw
Avg. Distance 150
Recommended C.lub was a Cavity Back
Recommended Midsize Grip

I have been reading reviews on shafts and my head is spinning with information.

Here is the selection of Iron Shafts that I can get straight from Taylormade right now. The shafts I were fitted for are not options right now.

Dynamic Gold. I know these aren't for me
Dynamic Gold Superlight.
Dynamic Gold Sensicore.
KBS 90
KBS Tour
Project X Chrome but the lightest flex is 5.5.
Project X Flighted and I can get the 5.0.
Nippon NS Pro 950
Burner 85 Steel which is the stock steel in the 2.0's and I believe are flighted.

Will be getting the GolfPride Decade Midsized.

Sorry to be so long winded on my fist ever post. After browsing this site for a while without registering I knew that a lot of info was needed to get my help.

Appreciate any and all responses.

Last edited:
Quick question.
You were fit for the other two options, is there a reason you are not going with what you were fit too?

Quick question.
You were fit for the other two options, is there a reason you are not going with what you were fit too?

They are not options from the Taylormade site right now.

What I meant was that I knew TM offered the PX shafts. Is there a way to find out from your fitter, what you were fit to in the PX, regular or flighted?

What I meant was that I knew TM offered the PX shafts. Is there a way to find out from your fitter, what you were fit to in the PX, regular or flighted?

I guess I could call.

If theres another place to get fitted by you I would try them or go back and get refitted. Make sure they fit you and let you hit the shafts you're fitted for. How can you make a decision when you don't know what each feels likes? I hit all three I was fitted for and I'm glad I did because the initial one I wanted I hated the feel. Hope this helps some.

Tapatalk... Loved by me hated by the wife.

Back