My Toronto Golf Town Experience

Caper

Reaction score
Handicap
I recently went to Golf Town on my trip to Toronto. I had roughly an hour and a half to kill before the Jays/Yankees game so I thought I would hit some balls. I went with the main intention to try a few hybrids and woods. I also hit a couple of drivers at the end. Here is how it all went down.

I walked onto the small, un-busy store and found a staff member standing by the hitting zone. I asked him if I could hit and he asked me what clubs I wanted. I said I would be wanting to try mostly hybrids and woods and that I didn't have much time. First up was the Mashie and the Rescue 11. I got them both in stiff shaft with the 21* mashie and the Rescue 11 4H. I hit the Mashie and the first 3 went straight and then drew left. An odd shot for me. I NEVER miss left. So I opened my stance a bit and the ball started flying pretty straight. After a few balls I was warmed up and decided to swing as I usually do. I caught it perfectly, hit it dead straight with a baby draw, and it carried 260, rolling out to 274 yards!!! At that, I knew there was something wrong with the Launch monitor. I don't know the stats, but my swing speed was something like 89MPH. I continued to hit an average of 235-240 carry with the Mashie with one more rolling out to over 270. Odd numbers!

With the Rescue 11 I hit the 4H and hit it about 10 yards less than the Mashie on average, but did put one over 260 carry. This is with a 4H! I was not as consistent with the Rescue 11 in the store, but when I hit them at my demo day I literally did not miss one target in about 15 shots. I like the look of the 11 over the Mashie at address. I do not like the finish of the Mashie either, but the way I was hitting it was fantastic. I would really like to get it out on the course with the Rescue 11 and see how they perform there, especially after seeing the gaudy numbers on the LM.

I also hit the 910H and liked it, but it was not in the class of the other two for me.

I moved onto 3 woods next and tried the Launcher, R11, 910F, and the Adams ? (had slotline). I HATE the Launcher. It felt way too light and I hit a huge slice with everything. Just no confidence with it in my hands. The Adams was a thumbs down too. Just did not feel right. The 910F was a solid wood. I hit that one well most of the time. The clear winner for me was the R11. I hit it solid almost every time and the ball flight was consistent and repeatable. The odd part was I was only hitting the 3 woods about 10 yards more then the hybrids, and that was when I really hit them. The hybrids were actually longer than the woods on average. I smoked one with the 910F and expected close to 300 yards considering what I was hitting with the hybrids and it only went 250 carry. It was at this point that I lost all faith in the monitor.

Next was the drivers. Here is my beef with indoor LM's. NONE of the tees they have are the right size for me. The "Driver" tee is way too high and the wood/iron tee is too low by about 1/4-1/2 inch. With the small tee I hit it on the bottom of the face and with the driver tee I hit it on the top/sky it. To make matters worse, the tees here were not mounted under the turf, but you had to chase them after ever shot.
My first drives were with the Launcher and none went over 250. I immediately dropped it and picked up the 910D2. The second ball I hit, the tee went under the screen and the guy had to get it. This happened a few more times, and once we looked for it for 3-4 minutes before finding it. This must have thrown the screen/projector off because my next 7 drives did not register and I hit 2 of them really well. I went through a few drivers at this point including the i15 and Razr Hawk Tour. I was SO frustrated! I asked him if it was my ball flight being too low, and he said it was the screen after looking for the tee! HE WATCHED ME HIT 7 THAT DID NOT REGISTER AND DID NOT FIX IT!!! My longest drive went 270 with a ss of 107.

Boarding the plane...more to come!
PS - Sorry it is so long.

I was very flustered with the numbers I was getting when the LM started to register again. I did not hit one as far as with the Mashie! I was baffled so I got him to pull the R11, the same driver I have. I know that I average somewhere in the ball park of 270 with it off the tee. Actually, when I was at Golf Town in Halifax a couple of months ago hitting the R11 before I bought it, I was hitting it an average of 295 carry on the LM, and most were rolling out over 305. So I did have something to compare it to. I hit 10 with the R11 and the best was 245 carry. I knew for sure then that the LM was toast.

So at the end of it all, I was almost right back where I started. I guess I know what I like the feel and looks of, but other than that, I am not much further ahead. I would love to get the Mashie and R11 on the course head to head for the hybrid battle. The 3 wood is the R11 hands down. I have already hit this outside and loved it. It feels and looks right to me. I would just have to take everything outside to get to know what clubs I need for my distance gaps.

I just bought the Taylormade Rescue 11 and i absolutely love it. I got the 3 Hybrid 18 degree and hit it off the tee a lot. It goes anywhere from 250-290 straight or with a slight draw. The ball flight is great and the feel and look of the club is also amazing. I would def recommend it to anyone if they don't mind spending a little bit more then they would on the mashie. Personally i never hit Mashie but it has gotta GREAT feedback on this site so id def give it a shot as well but i love the Taylormade hybrid.

I was very flustered with the numbers I was getting when the LM started to register again. I did not hit one as far as with the Mashie! I was baffled so I got him to pull the R11, the same driver I have. I know that I average somewhere in the ball park of 270 with it off the tee. Actually, when I was at Golf Town in Halifax a couple of months ago hitting the R11 before I bought it, I was hitting it an average of 295 carry on the LM, and most were rolling out over 305. So I did have something to compare it to. I hit 10 with the R11 and the best was 245 carry. I knew for sure then that the LM was toast.

So at the end of it all, I was almost right back where I started. I guess I know what I like the feel and looks of, but other than that, I am not much further ahead. I would love to get the Mashie and R11 on the course head to head for the hybrid battle. The 3 wood is the R11 hands down. I have already hit this outside and loved it. It feels and looks right to me. I would just have to take everything outside to get to know what clubs I need for my distance gaps.

Unfortunately those LM's at Golf Town are pretty inaccurate. I've found that everytime I've gone into one and hit balls. I try not to look at the numbers too much and instead go by the feel of how I hit the ball and where on the clubface I amde contact.

Golf Town really needs to improve their system. Not only that I can't believe they had a non-mounted tee like at the GT here in Halifax. I also find a lot of the guys working there have no idea how to even work the computer, luckily my buddy goes to Holland Collage in PEI and they use a similar system so I just get him to go with me and work it.

Hopefully you can get to an outdoor demo and see the real numbers and ball flight soon and get everything sorted out.

Back