Woods Back Next Weekend

I love the title of this thread b/c even though it was meant for a specific tournament, it sure does apply to all those tournaments that he enters. He's becomming the consumate question mark. Tiger fans have to be stunned. He laid a golden turd again on a Sunday, he was only 1 stoke behind the leaders, and against a field that many would consider "minor league" compared to the PGA Tour. Tiger, "Gmac'd" again!

I love the title of this thread b/c even though it was meant for a specific tournament, it sure does apply to all those tournaments that he enters. He's becomming the consumate question mark. Tiger fans have to be stunned. He laid a golden turd again on a Sunday, he was only 1 stoke behind the leaders, and against a field that many would consider "minor league" compared to the PGA Tour. Tiger, "Gmac'd" again!
I'm waiting for someone to officially declare him DONE. I know people are lining up to do it, but will someone actually call it.

When I say DONE, I mean irrelevant when he steps on the course and never to get in the winner's circle again.

I'm waiting for someone to officially declare him DONE. I know people are lining up to do it, but will someone actually call it.

When I say DONE, I mean irrelevant when he steps on the course and never to get in the winner's circle again.

I'm not there just yet. My gut tells me that a win in a major or significant tournament will unleash the floodgates.

I think while he's working with Foley he's DONE....it's not a golf swing that utilizes his athletic ability and it's a golf swing that focus' too much on mechanics and less on feel. I've been saying this for quite some time.

The problem is that I don't want him to be DONE, but I fear that he is. Back in his hey-day, he imposed fear into his opponents when he was on the range, that isn't the case any more. He couldn't even beat Sergio Garcia over the weekend, he couldn't beat Rory, who publically called him out (remember when Tiger use to make examples of guys who did that: see Stephen Ames and Rory Sabatini), he got outplayed by Anders Hansen, Chris Wood, Alvaro Quiros. Really? And so many of you think that he will be back? Again, tell me why. All I've ever asked for is evidence that he will be back. All he's given us is more reasons to doubt it, so I'll say it.........he's DONE (especially while working w/Foley).

I can't even make a good RETORT anymore. I'm beginning to see your point with Foley. In fact, I'm gonna blame Foley for Tigers downfall. As well as Haney. He needs to call Butch asap.

But really, your points to athletic ability and feel are probably right on.

I think while he's working with Foley he's DONE....it's not a golf swing that utilizes his athletic ability and it's a golf swing that focus' too much on mechanics and less on feel. I've been saying this for quite some time.

The problem is that I don't want him to be DONE, but I fear that he is. Back in his hey-day, he imposed fear into his opponents when he was on the range, that isn't the case any more. He couldn't even beat Sergio Garcia over the weekend, he couldn't beat Rory, who publically called him out (remember when Tiger use to make examples of guys who did that: see Stephen Ames and Rory Sabatini), he got outplayed by Anders Hansen, Chris Wood, Alvaro Quiros. Really? And so many of you think that he will be back? Again, tell me why. All I've ever asked for is evidence that he will be back. All he's given us is more reasons to doubt it, so I'll say it.........he's DONE (especially while working w/Foley).

I was one of the guys a few weeks ago who just assumed that given some time this year he would be back in the winners circle, because well, he's Tiger Freakin' Woods. I was dead wrong. I don't like anything I am seeing and he looks lost out there. Heading into the final round back by one shot against a group of golfers who at this point are no where near his league and he shots 73 and gets passed by almost all of them. Thats not Tiger Woods, I don't know who this guy is but he is officially done for me.

Interesting. I think you and I need a little wager. :D I'll talk to you about it this weekend.

I can't even make a good RETORT anymore. I'm beginning to see your point with Foley. In fact, I'm gonna blame Foley for Tigers downfall. As well as Haney. He needs to call Butch asap.

But really, your points to athletic ability and feel are probably right on.

Im not ready to say he's done yet. In fact I think that he will win this year. I mean a lot of guys win on tour and he certainly has the skill set to be one of them. I dont see the dominant TW returning any time soon though. I have held on to the fact that "He's TW, of course he will be back" for over a year and you are right, he has done nothing in that time to say that is the case. However I do think he will win this year, I mean he picks his small schedule so wisely, he is bound to get a few rounds together to win at some point. Im not sure that will come close to saying "he's back" like I know his fans will say and want to say, but I do expect a win at some point.

I'll disagree with you Huckleberry. It's going to take him time. He said himself it took him close to 2 years to truly get the Haney swing right?(Could be wrong on that as I"m going off a very bad memory) Going through changes as drastic as he is going through takes time and it also takes a lot of course time to get comfortable making the new swing in pressure situations. Right now what we are seeing is flashes. Some days he is just going to be on with the new swing and he will look great. On those days his confidence will spike and he will putt better. The very next day he will be struggling and his confidence will plummet.

End of this year I think we should start seeing a more confident Tiger. The swing IMO is sound. Foley has a nice young stable of players so he is doing something right. I think a few of us were a little over exuberant in our hopes for a Tiger return and we forgot what it takes to truly learn and be tournament confident in a new swing. I remember many years ago learning a new swing and it was very difficult. On the range I hit the ball great and always felt like I got it. Get to the course and poof it was gone and I was hacking it up. I still think it's possible that Tiger by mid season is much improved but I won't be surprised if in fact it takes him until next year to get into tournament shape.

I think if Tiger can truly grasp Foley 100%, he will be fine and IMO better than ever. If he cant, then we will see a change in this offseason.

I'll disagree with you Huckleberry. It's going to take him time. He said himself it took him close to 2 years to truly get the Haney swing right?(Could be wrong on that as I"m going off a very bad memory) Going through changes as drastic as he is going through takes time and it also takes a lot of course time to get comfortable making the new swing in pressure situations. Right now what we are seeing is flashes. Some days he is just going to be on with the new swing and he will look great. On those days his confidence will spike and he will putt better. The very next day he will be struggling and his confidence will plummet.

End of this year I think we should start seeing a more confident Tiger. The swing IMO is sound. Foley has a nice young stable of players so he is doing something right. I think a few of us were a little over exuberant in our hopes for a Tiger return and we forgot what it takes to truly learn and be tournament confident in a new swing. I remember many years ago learning a new swing and it was very difficult. On the range I hit the ball great and always felt like I got it. Get to the course and poof it was gone and I was hacking it up. I still think it's possible that Tiger by mid season is much improved but I won't be surprised if in fact it takes him until next year to get into tournament shape.

Did it take him 460 days to win under Haney?

EDIT: I should add that I dont remember him EVER looking like this at any point in his career.

I don't know. I know one weekend may seem like a short time span to write him off, but I just don't see him coming back if he keeps on this path. Lol, kinda dumb because he really hasn't put together a complete tourney in a while and I've been saying he can do no wrong. I don't think "his swing" fits him. TC made some great points and I was really getting that feeling this weekend. Golf is as much feel at times as it is mechanics and he just looks uncomfortable when the pressure is on. I know I can't fathom a dude at his level going through swing changes, he just looks like a body swinging a golf club now.

Maybe I just had a bad weekend and I'm not being very positive. Come next tournament, I might be all about TW's swing again.

Im not ready to say he's done yet. In fact I think that he will win this year. I mean a lot of guys win on tour and he certainly has the skill set to be one of them. I dont see the dominant TW returning any time soon though. I have held on to the fact that "He's TW, of course he will be back" for over a year and you are right, he has done nothing in that time to say that is the case. However I do think he will win this year, I mean he picks his small schedule so wisely, he is bound to get a few rounds together to win at some point. Im not sure that will come close to saying "he's back" like I know his fans will say and want to say, but I do expect a win at some point.

I think if Tiger can truly grasp Foley 100%, he will be fine and IMO better than ever. If he cant, then we will see a change in this offseason.

Why do you say he will be better than ever? What athlete of Foley's swing stable makes you think that?

That could be a while for this to happen though, I still think it's inevitable that sooner or later he'll put together a week good enough for a win.

I don't know. I know one weekend may seem like a short time span to write him off, but I just don't see him coming back if he keeps on this path. Lol, kinda dumb because he really hasn't put together a complete tourney in a while and I've been saying he can do no wrong. I don't think "his swing" fits him. TC made some great points and I was really getting that feeling this weekend. Golf is as much feel at times as it is mechanics and he just looks uncomfortable when the pressure is on. I know I can't fathom a dude at his level going through swing changes, he just looks like a body swinging a golf club now.

Maybe I just had a bad weekend and I'm not being very positive. Come next tournament, I might be all about TW's swing again.

Dude, you're starting to feel the way that I do. Please understand, I love Tiger Woods the golfer, he's a lot of the reason why I got hooked to this game (Phil's the biggest though), but I'm trying to take my personal likes out of the equation and look at what I'm seeing. Foley's stable of golfers all hit fwys, and hit a high % of gir's but they all struggle in the same area, the short game (which I equate a lot of feel/visualization to). Tiger is still one of the best but it's his kryponite right now. I'd like to see him utilize those physical abilities he's worked so hard on as opposed to being so damn mechanical.

Even w/Hank Haney, and those 2 years of getting use to his new swing......HE WAS STILL WINNING! He's not even shooting rounds under par right now. On courses that he's OWNED.

Why do you say he will be better than ever?

Because once Tiger grasps the entire mechanical concept of Foley's swing, he will be able to make subtle variations to make it his own. Foleys concept is not a cookie cutter swing. His swing isnt even that terrible right now, his short game and putter is, and that is not Foley's responsibility. Foley is about making the golf swing most efficient to one's body. It'll get there IMO

What athlete of Foley's swing stable makes you think that?

Tiger is the athlete that makes me think that. We saw under Foley that he still has those extreme flashes of brilliance, but his putter and short game need to be there.

Because once Tiger grasps the entire mechanical concept of Foley's swing, he will be able to make subtle variations to make it his own. Foleys concept is not a cookie cutter swing. His swing isnt even that terrible right now, his short game and putter is, and that is not Foley's responsibility. Foley is about making the golf swing most efficient to one's body. It'll get there IMO

Tiger is the athlete that makes me think that. We saw under Foley that he still has those extreme flashes of brilliance, but his putter and short game need to be there.

But look at his stable of golfers....does something sound familiar yet?

Did it take him 460 days to win under Haney?

EDIT: I should add that I dont remember him EVER looking like this at any point in his career.

I can't answer that because I just don't know. I will look it up. But to be fair he has not been under Foley for 460 days

I'm tired of being the realist. I'm tired of being the one who tries to look at things subjectively. I think I'm done talking about Tiger Woods.

I think we need to define "done" here. He will win again, theres no doubt about that, but for me "done" is not winning multiple more majors. He is held to a higher standard than everyone else just due to how he has played over his career. If for the rest of his career he only wins 1 or 2 more majors, then for Tiger that is a failure and he is done. I think he is going to look back on his career one day and regret going through multiple swing changes, and think of what could have been.

I'm tired of being the realist. I'm tired of being the one who tries to look at things subjectively. I think I'm done talking about Tiger Woods.
You're not talking about TW. You're writing about him. hehe

Back