How much grip pressure do you use?

imscottr

I Like Show Tunes!
Reaction score
Handicap
I believe it was Hogan who said to hold your club like you're holding a bird. I find that if I grip to hard, casting creeps in rather quickly, and I begin to scoop the ball. This often happens then I use my driver. Get that big 'ol stick in your hand and you feel like you gotta crush it!!

Curious as to what kind of pressure you use.

I grip pretty hard, out of a scale of 10, 10 being gripping as hard as you can. I grip at probably a 7.5-8.

Just hard enough so that my hands won't slip, any harder and my whole body starts tensing up and bad things begin to happen.

light enough for you to take the club from my hands.

As lightly as I can and still have control of the club.

Sometimes too light. Even with dry hands, at times I'll feel the club twist a bit in right hand. No big deal, I use that as an indicator to firm things up a touch. But I have to keep light grip-pressure so I can properly hinge and release through impact. Too firm and way too many things can go wrong with my swing.

Sometimes too light. Even with dry hands, at times I'll feel the club twist a bit in right hand. No big deal, I use that as an indicator to firm things up a touch. But I have to keep light grip-pressure so I can properly hinge and release through impact. Too firm and way too many things can go wrong with my swing.

I think this is my problem. My grip is so tight I have trouble hinging. Before the season ended my coach and I were working on this and I couldn't hinge for the life of me. Never really thought grip preassure was an issue. Thanks for reminding me.

I dont use light grip pressure, i squeeze the grips fairly firmly.
What does that mean?

Except for short game. Puttings a different beast too. If Im not making any putts using a soft grip pressure, ill start squeezing it as hard as possible. If I started already squeezing, Ill loosen it up almost til I cant hold the putter anymore.

I dont use light grip pressure, i squeeze the grips fairly firmly.

I know that buddy, but "[being] a squeezer" could mean a lot of other things. I thought you were being vague for effect.

I put fairly high pressure on the club as well. I find if I don't, I grip so lightly that the club twists in my hands with horrible results.

I think this is my problem. My grip is so tight I have trouble hinging. Before the season ended my coach and I were working on this and I couldn't hinge for the life of me. Never really thought grip preassure was an issue. Thanks for reminding me.

Another thing to check, believe it or not, is your thumbs. If your thumbs are long down the shaft, it can inhibit hinge a bit. If they're shorter with a more compact grip, it could free the wrists up more.

Another thing to check, believe it or not, is your thumbs. If your thumbs are long down the shaft, it can inhibit hinge a bit. If they're shorter with a more compact grip, it could free the wrists up more.

So to make sure we're on the same page, You mean the thumb straight up and down on the grip will inhibit hinge? If they are more bent or curled in it helps?

point your thumbs at your opposite toes. Youll be able to hinge a whole lot more.
So to make sure we're on the same page, You mean the thumb straight up and down on the grip will inhibit hinge? If they are more bent or curled in it helps?

I shouldn't have pluralized it. Particularly the thumb of your upper hand, the longer it is down the shaft (straight down or slightly to the side), the more it may inhibit hinge. Shorter, more hinge.

The elongation of the joint itself is what restricts movement.

I found an article by Butch Harmon which can explain it better than I ever could:

http://www.golftoday.co.uk/proshop/features/short_thumb_grip.html

I shouldn't have pluralized it. Particularly the thumb of your upper hand, the longer it is down the shaft (straight down or slightly to the side), the more it may inhibit hinge. Shorter, more hinge.

The elongation of the joint itself is what restricts movement.

I found an article by Butch Harmon which can explain it better than I ever could:

http://www.golftoday.co.uk/proshop/features/short_thumb_grip.html

Perfect! Just read it and thats a great tip! The "Too Long" Photo is exactly what I do too.

i was always taught like coolbreeze said - enough to hold the club - and someone should be able to gently pull it out of my hands. too tight and i tense up at impact.

i was always taught like coolbreeze said - enough to hold the club - and someone should be able to gently pull it out of my hands. too tight and i tense up at impact.

Exactly what I do. With a good glove and decent grips, the club should not fly out of your hand. I find that I make a better impact if I hold it lightly. Too tight, and my body gets tight.

Back