2011 grammy awards show

Obviously not just the best album to me.

By your rationale the Twilight series of films is better than films such as The King's Speech. Or Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest is better than No Country For Old Men. I'm not buying it, so we will just have to agree to disagree.

We aren't talking about money or popularity here. The best musicians and songwriters in the world are people none of us have ever heard of. Talent should win awards, not popularity.

But with great talent comes popularity. Surely people cant win awards without ANY talent. Im sure people can get popular without talent, but they win very few awards if any. I understand your analogy and its a good one.

She is very talented, jazz bass player and vocalist. Should give her a listen, she is not someone you will ever hear on mainstream top 40 radio

I just think if someone is THAT talented, they will be popular.

So, talent doesn't play into it at all? Just popularity?

I never said that.

But with great talent comes popularity. Surely people cant win awards without ANY talent. Im sure people can get popular without talent, but they win very few awards if any. I understand your analogy and its a good one.

I just think if someone is THAT talented, they will be popular.

I never said that.

Ever heard of Tal Wilkenfeld? Amazing bass player, she played with Jeff Beck for awhile and would match Beck's guitar solo's on the Bass. One of the most talented musicians on the planet and no one knows who she is

Than he should do something about that.
Ever heard of Tal Wilkenfeld? Amazing bass player, she played with Jeff Beck for awhile and would match Beck's guitar solo's on the Bass. One of the most talented musicians on the planet and no one knows who she is

Than he should do something about that.

Point is, talent doesn't equate with popularity. Symphony orchestra players around the world are amazingly talented, how many can name off the top of your head? Other than pop and country most genres of music are not that popular even though they have amazing musicians playing in that style. That is one reason for artists to pick the winners, it's about talent, not popularity

Milli Vanilli.

milli-vanilli.jpg

Cmon Smalls give them some credit. They were talented enough to move their lips along with the song to make people think they were actually singing it. :D

Big thanks to Spank for filling me in here. I think I am a little young to have understood that one. I coulda googled it, but meh.
Cmon Smalls give them some credit. They were talented enough to move their lips along with the song to make people think they were actually singing it. :D

Big thanks to Spank for filling me in here. I think I am a little young to have understood that one. I coulda googled it, but meh.

You don't know who Milli Vanilli is? Man I'm getting old.

ummm yeah milli vanilli is proof positive that awards shows in general are just a crock
i watch them because i like some of the acts they feature and the spectacle of the whole thing but who wins and loses isnt a biggy to me
like mumford and sons... sorta glad they didnt win cuz sometimes winning a grammy becomes a burden and the pressure to "top" it is too much
then you never hear of the band/group again
there are literally tons of gigantic bands/groups that have never won/even been nominated for a grammy doesnt mean anything at all

oh yeah... kesha is selling crap loads of tunes and thats gotta be the worst music anyone can possibly endure unless youre a preteen girl
(sorry to kesha fans) but i just dont get it

ummm yeah milli vanilli is proof positive that awards shows in general are just a crock
i watch them because i like some of the acts they feature and the spectacle of the whole thing but who wins and loses isnt a biggy to me
like mumford and sons... sorta glad they didnt win cuz sometimes winning a grammy becomes a burden and the pressure to "top" it is too much
then you never hear of the band/group again
there are literally tons of gigantic bands/groups that have never won/even been nominated for a grammy doesnt mean anything at all

oh yeah... kesha is selling crap loads of tunes and thats gotta be the worst music anyone can possibly endure unless youre a preteen girl
(sorry to kesha fans) but i just dont get it

Too bad they didn't have "Big Break Sexy Awards" instead of this garb.

Look at the Stones. 1 Grammy, life time achievement in 89. Really? This doesn't convince you that the Grammy's are a crock? The Beatles won 9 of their 13 Grammy's 25 years after they broke up. The Doors never won one, Pink Floyd only won one.

You seem to forget that popularity and radio play are not synonymous with talented.

I've been a huge fan of Arcade Fire since their 2004 album, "Funeral". While I still feel that album is superior is "The Suburbs", I am very happy they walked away with the award. When I saw the nominations I really felt like it was a David v. Goliath and that even though Arcade Fire had the best album among those nominated I didn't think they stood a chance. My faith in the Grammy voters, while only slightly, is certainly a little more inspired.

Obviously not just the best album to me.

By your rationale the Twilight series of films is better than films such as The King's Speech. Or Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest is better than No Country For Old Men. I'm not buying it, so we will just have to agree to disagree.

We aren't talking about money or popularity here. The best musicians and songwriters in the world are people none of us have ever heard of. Talent should win awards, not popularity.

Great posts. I was just about to make the exact same points, luckily I read the previous page and now I don't have to!
I've been a fan since "Funeral" as well. Heard "Neighborhood #3 - Power Out" for the first time at a friend's house and I've been hooked ever since.

Eminem plus rhianna plus dr. Dre plus skylar grey equals awesome
That was freaking amazing

Oh my god I just watched Lady Gaga's performance and I am speechless.
That was easily the best performance I've seen in months.

i was never a huge lady gaga fan until i saw an interview with her when she wasnt "acting"
it was the "real" her and i had no idea she was a classically trained pianist... she is really intelligent and studies the art of fame
it made me a fan

I generally abhor modern music, but there is just something about GaGa that I like. She is a true original, and I respect that. The meat dress was freaking awesome.

I'm proud to say that I didn't watch a second of the Grammys again.....

I didnt watch it either. Heard thhe Dylan and Jagger performances were trainwrecks. Listening to Rihanna because for some reason Westtooth wanted them to play it on The Morning Drive. Idiot.

No, I'm not watching. I think I am better off! hahaha

I watched the opening act which included Martina McBride........she just oozes HOTNESS! I then just went back to watching something else.

I generally abhor modern music, but there is just something about GaGa that I like. She is a true original, and I respect that. The meat dress was freaking awesome.

It's funny that you say that, she's under a lot of fire right now for her new single "born this way" for it being a rip-off of one of Madonna's songs. BUT, yes, I agree, she is really original and that makes her awesome, move over Britney Spears and those other 'pop' icons.
I couldn't care less, I REALLY enjoy the song -it's just one of those few ones that is so happy and at the same time really bangin' that I can't help but smile.

I can't get that damn "Need You Now" song by Lady Antebellum out of my head since I watched the Grammys.

MAKE IT STOP!

Kevin

Neither, I think it is my secret goal this year to miss every important event.

Didn't watch a second of the super bowl or the grammies.

Back