Pressure Putts, How Do You Cope?

I attempt to "aim small." I also add a tad bit more break and make sure to hit the putt. I hate when I have a rare putt for eagle or birdie and leave it short, never giving it a chance.

I came across this on Twitter and thought it was a great view point for someone needing to make this putt for eagle. It looks like she set-up well and had the line until stepping up to the ball. Also looks like she punched it rather than flowing through the stroke.

[YOUTUBE]iiTVxRkdEyQ[/YOUTUBE]

How do others handle pressure in putts like this? I've done the same thing, but have to focus completely on the spot I want to hit about 6" or 8" in front of my ball.

I do my best to not think about the situation (good or bad), just concentrate on making a good stroke

Pretend like its a putt for double boge and you don't really care...

On those rare occasions I have a presure putt, I just stick to my routine: looking at the line from both sides of the cup, no practice strokes, step up to the ball and recite in my head "Straight back, straight through, straight in".

I cope with them by reminding myself that I play golf for fun, not to make my living and that Im not good enough to get mad if I miss a putt.

Routine,deep breath, practice..

To the Universe, a 15 foot putt for eagle is the exact same even if it was for triple bogey. You have to except every ounce of pressure placed on the eagle putt is completly inside your brain and it's ability to not control adrenaline. I've come across two schools of thought on how to deal with this: Both requires so much practice you've made that same putt countless times before.

You should check out Putting Out of Your Mind by Bob Rotella. He's considered a very good sports psychologist. I read his book and was very impressed on his thoughts on fear and how it controls the athletes muscles. Someone get Ole Grey on here, I know he's a fan of the book as well and he'ld promote it better than I could.

I was talking with another THP about the change in my putting style earlier this week. I am slowly changing from a "die in" putter to a "Ram it Home" style putter. If I have a big putt I will play a little less break and hit it a little harder than normal.

If I can manage it, I try not to take the hole out of the putt. If that means leaving the ball inside left edge and hitting it harder than so be it...
This is all theory of course, since the only pressure putt I have had in recent memory I really blew, but overall my putting has quite improved!

On those rare occasions I have a presure putt, I just stick to my routine: looking at the line from both sides of the cup, no practice strokes, step up to the ball and recite in my head "Straight back, straight through, straight in". [/QUOTE]

All good stuff. but I'm loving this!

for me the best may of getting those pressure putter on line is to just focus on hitting the back of the ball with the centre of the club face. thats just what i do and it works well for me but ive already found out its not for everyone

The hard part is being able to practice pressure putts. No matter how much we practice when you are actually standing over the ball with money or a tournament on the line its different.
Just last week I spent about an hour on the practice green and was putting lights out. I got into a game wit some guys I had not played with and we team up. On the first hole I have a 4 footer to win the hole for our team and I stunk it up. Not even close. I could not believe it. After all that practice and putting well the pressure got to me and it was only to win the hole.

I think there are a lot of good suggestions on this thread but I think that one of the only ways to putt well under pressure is to play under pressure a lot and learn to deal with it. Its that few inches between your ears that makes or breaks you. I think having a retune and sticking to it is crucial. I know sometimes I get out of mine and everything seems to speed up.

I just try to stick to my routine for pressure putts. Nothing more complicated than that for me.

just dont put yourself in pressure situations
i one putt for double all the time... no stress hahaha

I tell myself over and over "don't be short, give it a chance to go in".

Some great replys here, but one thing that I do was only briefly mentioned and I honestly think it has more merit than most golfers would give credit to. Breathing properly.

As a pool player and shooter, I learned years ago that proper breathing techniques flood the brain with oxygen which in tern gives a person several distinct advantages, especially in putting. I find it calms the nerves a bunch, it helps to bring clarity and Ive actually credited it to triggering those rare occasions of "Being in the Zone. Does anyone else do this?

Some great replys here, but one thing that I do was only briefly mentioned and I honestly think it has more merit than most golfers would give credit to. Breathing properly.

As a pool player and shooter, I learned years ago that proper breathing techniques flood the brain with oxygen which in tern gives a person several distinct advantages, especially in putting. I find it calms the nerves a bunch, it helps to bring clarity and Ive actually credited it to triggering those rare occasions of "Being in the Zone. Does anyone else do this?

I agree breathing is important. I found that in the past I was holding my breath when in that situation. Now I will step away and make sure I breathe.

I agree breathing is important. I found that in the past I was holding my breath when in that situation. Now I will step away and make sure I breathe.

Yeah I really think it makes a huge difference for me. I never really connected it to my putting until last year and still often times forget, but I often times will be taking in huge breaths and blowing them out as I approach the green. It's amazing how different things seem by the time I see my putt.

Great post. I know I dont think about that at all and I should.

Back