If it ain't broke, don't fix it???

theslflash689

Reaction score
Handicap
GHIN 5.3
Hey guys, so I have been messing around with my swing lately, especially with my irons. I was working on chipping with my dad, and he was teaching me about a slightly earlier and more vertical wrist hinge to get the ball into the air out of thick rough. It has worked beautifully and I am chipping great.
Since the contact I was making was so pure, and since I was putting more check on the ball, I said to myself, why not incorporate an early wrist hinge in my full swing.
So I tried it today, and picked up half a club to a full club distance on my irons, and my ball was pretty much going exactly where I wanted it to go, aside from a few draws away from the flag, which I have no problem with at all. I also am holding greens a lot better due to a higher ball flight.
I have heard teachers and instructors say that early or active wrist hinge in the backswing will lead to early release in the downswing. Now my release is already early, and I tend to scoop, and from watching my video of this new early hinging method, I am actually hitting down on the ball more, and my release is later. (different strokes for different folks I guess.)
My question is, do I try to find a different way to hold my lag? Or do I just go with this since it's working so well for me?

I'd definitely say play it out. The idea of the game is how many, not how. If it grows to become inconsistent, than fix it.

This is as long as it's close to a good swing of course, and incorporates some good things (Furyk has an odd swing, but the downswing looks normal, and most importantly he can repeat it). You never want to ingrain bad habits, so as long as it looks solid, ride it out.

I would just play it. I guess it's your decision, but unless you have a problem with what you are doing and it produces a result you do not like, I don't think there is any reason to change it.

If it works for you and it is consistant dont change it. I am going through the same thing and i am tring to keep what works and fighting the urge to change my game to get a few extra yards.

Based on your write up, I guess the question should be: why would you not continue to play it?

Play it on. :golf:

A full club length.....no brainer. Stick with it. But you can always change back to your old swing if you feel inconsistency down the road. New things are scary and even if it dosen't work for 1 or 2 rounds its best to still stick with it. If you are 5-10 rounds deep and still not feeling any success with it, then I would bail. Good luck.

Based on your write up, I guess the question should be: why would you not continue to play it?

This! If it aint broke dont fix it is exactly right

Back