Club selection help

DevRickus

The Dirty Jerz
Reaction score
Handicap
Snow
I am in the process of overhauling my bag as I have just outgrown my clubs. I currently have Driver, Mashie M4, 5-PW, AW,GW,SW. I am looking to fill the gap in between my driver and Mashie and I am unsure of what to do. On one hand, I am thinking of going with a 3W and a 5W. On the other hand, I love the Mashie and hit it so well, of just going with a M2 and M3. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

DR

Don't try to fill the gaps through lofts, fill it through the numbers between the the driver and M4. If you can, get them both on a launch monitor to get the gap between them then see what of the rest of the mashie's or wood's fills the needed wholes.

Lets remember to keep the Ask the Pro section clean until they have had a chance to respond. Thanks.

Overall go with what you feel most comfortable with whether you get a hyrbids or more of a traditional looking wood for your 3 and 5 wood. What I have most of my students do is go with the traditional wood in their 3 wood and then start with hybrids (unless they trully like the look of the traditional better). The reasons are this:
1 - the 3 wood is going to be a distance club either off the tee or into par 5's. Having the extra length and other benefits of the club head design the ball will go further with the traditional look.
2 - when you get into a the traditional look you lose versatility in how you can use the club. With the traditional look you tend to need very good lies or hit it off the tee box to hit them well where as with a hybrid you can use from other types of lies but still try to optimize the distance as well.

I would think to go with the M2 Mashie which is 18 degrees because it should fill the gap a little better between the 3 wood and the M4. The M3 is too close of loft to see much of a difference in distance from the M4 and you will end up having a larger gap in your distance between it and your 3 wood which is 15 degrees of loft.

Patrick Nuber
GolfTEC - Golden, CO
PGA Certified Professional

Overall go with what you feel most comfortable with whether you get a hyrbids or more of a traditional looking wood for your 3 and 5 wood. What I have most of my students do is go with the traditional wood in their 3 wood and then start with hybrids (unless they trully like the look of the traditional better). The reasons are this:
1 - the 3 wood is going to be a distance club either off the tee or into par 5's. Having the extra length and other benefits of the club head design the ball will go further with the traditional look.
2 - when you get into a the traditional look you lose versatility in how you can use the club. With the traditional look you tend to need very good lies or hit it off the tee box to hit them well where as with a hybrid you can use from other types of lies but still try to optimize the distance as well.

I would think to go with the M2 Mashie which is 18 degrees because it should fill the gap a little better between the 3 wood and the M4. The M3 is too close of loft to see much of a difference in distance from the M4 and you will end up having a larger gap in your distance between it and your 3 wood which is 15 degrees of loft.

Patrick Nuber
GolfTEC - Golden, CO
PGA Certified Professional

Thanks for the advice. Makes perfect sense.

Back