Dropping Ball In Designated Drop Area. Ball Rolls Out Of Drop Area

staticline

Reaction score
Handicap
What do you think the Rule is if you drop your ball in the designated drop area and it rolls out of the drop area?
Please do not google the USGA Rule/Decision and post it.

Pretty sure you play it as it lies as long as it doesn't roll closer to the hole outside that drop area, or more then 2 clubs from where it was dropped. I could be wrong but that's what i think. It's like a water hazard if you take 2 clubs from the hazard and you drop it within the two clubs and it barely moves just 2 clubs away you still play it from there cuz it landed within the 2 club lengths.

But that is what playin partners, and rules officials are for. Plus always carry a rules book in your bag if you play tourneys

I'm going to say play it as it lies as long as it's no closer to the hole, just like UNC said. It would be interesting to look up and see if it's marked as a drop area with pain or chalk what the rule is. I'm going to stick with play it as it lies.

Tapatalk... Loved by me hated by the wife.

I would have to agree with UNCFan as well, I would just assume that you play it as it lies as long as it's no closer to the hole.

Same goes for cart paths right?(drop no closer to the hole)

Also if my feet are on the cart path u get a drop as well right? Just not closer to the hole.

Also if my feet are on the cart path u get a drop as well right? Just not closer to the hole.

Cart paths are drop two clubs from closest point of relief. Relief point must be not be closer to the hole

why would you get a drop because you have to stand on the cart path? I would think as long as the ball is on grass, play it as it lies.

And I think drop zones can be closer to the hole as long as they are in the drop zone circle. I it goes out of circle closer to the hole you must redrop. I think they explained it at the open championship when everyone was hitting it in the stands

Correct. You take nearest point of relief no closer to the hole then u get one club from that point and drop it between the two points

why would you get a drop because you have to stand on the cart path? I would think as long as the ball is on grass, play it as it lies.

Because it's an obstruction. It's not a normal stance so you get a drop from the cart path if your ball is on it, your swing is interfered with it, or your stance.

Because it's an obstruction. It's not a normal stance so you get a drop from the cart path if your ball is on it, your swing is interfered with it, or your stance.

But you don't have to. While I will always take a drop if my club is going to hit the cart path because the ball is on it, if I am not taking a full shot, oftentimes I will go ahead and stand on the path, especially if taking a drop makes the shot harder, especially around the green.. If I am going to take a full swing, I will most likely take a drop and not stand on the path.

What do you think the Rule is if you drop your ball in the designated drop area and it rolls out of the drop area? If it rolls out twice, you can place it in the drop area. idk

I think if it rolls out of the drop area, regardless of closer to the hole or not, you re-drop into the drop zone. 3rd time you place it.

What do you think the Rule is if you drop your ball in the designated drop area and it rolls out of the drop area?
Please do not google the USGA Rule/Decision and post it.

I'm pretty sure that the ball must stay in the drop zone. If it rolls out I believe you must redrop in the zone

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Isn't this what happened in the next to last episode of the Big Break. Didn't he drop twice them place the ball?

I think if it rolls out of the drop area, regardless of closer to the hole or not, you re-drop into the drop zone. 3rd time you place it.
I'm pretty sure that is how it works.

as others have said it's all an opinion. But I believe gravel roads/gravel cart paths are different but I could be wrong.

What he said!

as others have said it's all an opinion. But I believe gravel roads/gravel cart paths are different but I could be wrong.

I'm thinking you get NO relief from paths on the course made of dirt, sand, stone, gravel etc. Asphalt/concrete is a different story. Same with bridges. You get no relief from a bridge, and always remember if a bridge is in a hazard, you can not ground your club on the bridge as it is part of the hazard.

My home course has a local rule that gives relief from all bridges (because they are wooden and we don't want damage) and all flower beds. This by local rule, but if there is no local rule, you would not get relief from wood bridges or flower beds.

I'm going to say play it as it lies as long as it's no closer to the hole, just like UNC said. It would be interesting to look up and see if it's marked as a drop area with pain or chalk what the rule is. I'm going to stick with play it as it lies.

I think this is correct, as long as the ball hits the golf course inside the drop area you play it even if it rolls out of the DA. If it rolls more than two club lengths, redrop and watch the spot where it hits the golf course because if it rolls more than two club lengths again, you must place it on that exact spot.

I'm thinking you get NO relief from paths on the course made of dirt, sand, stone, gravel etc. Asphalt/concrete is a different story. Same with bridges. You get no relief from a bridge, and always remember if a bridge is in a hazard, you can not ground your club on the bridge as it is part of the hazard.

My home course has a local rule that gives relief from all bridges (because they are wooden and we don't want damage) and all flower beds. This by local rule, but if there is no local rule, you would not get relief from wood bridges or flower beds.

Only reason I knew this, is cause yesterday I was watching the golf tournament and the shot of the day was of a guy standing on a dirt path

Plus always carry a rules book in your bag if you play tourneys
That's like trying to decipher hieroglyphics.

This is an interesting rule and it's come up before in a tournament I played in:

Drop ball in drop area.
You don't have to be standing in the drop area to do so.
Ball can roll out of the drop area, but has to strike drop area first.
Ball can roll nearer the hole, but not more than 2 club lengths.

Remember the final hole of the 2008 US Open playoff between Tiger Woods and Rocco Mediate? It was a par 4, and Rocco hit his second shot into a place where he was entitled to get a free drop. He took the drop, and almost got a penalty because of it:

Mediate took what should have been a routine drop. But the ball landed in the drop circle then rolled out. He went to pick it up -- and there were both Vernon and Davis to stop him.

"The ball's in play as long as it hasn't gone more than two clubs lengths, and it can actually roll forward and still be in play," Davis said. "This happened in a split second, and Rocco leans over to pick up the ball because it had gone out of the drop zone. I screamed at him, 'Rocco, ball's in play.' If he had picked that ball up, it would have been a 1-stroke penalty, and it would have basically been over at that point. That would have been horrible."

The quoted section comes from this article: http://sports.espn.go.com/golf/usopen09/columns/story?columnist=harig_bob&id=4256164

Remember the final hole of the 2008 US Open playoff between Tiger Woods and Rocco Mediate? It was a par 4, and Rocco hit his second shot into a place where he was entitled to get a free drop. He took the drop, and almost got a penalty because of it:

The quoted section comes from this article: http://sports.espn.go.com/golf/usopen09/columns/story?columnist=harig_bob&id=4256164

Yeah, I remember this occasion actually, but not because of the drop, but because he pretended like he was gonna throw it at the hole instead of dropping. It was pretty funny, and the correct ruling.

Back