RatFink

Carnivore
Reaction score
Handicap
lim x-> 0
After longing to play golf all through the winter months and living vicariously through those of you who are lucky enough to play year round, I started this season with quite a lot of enthusiasm.. but I have to say, that enthusiasm died very quickly.

It's been about 3 weeks since I've even held a club because of some bad habits or flaws that started to appear. Instead of slicing my ball like I used to do, I seem to have over compensated and i started pulling the ball to the point where i'd have no clue where any shot would go. And then I noticed that on my backswing, both my shoulders had started popping (really kind of sketchy)... and then during the last round I played, I couldn't even hit the ball at one tee box. I just hit behind the ball by about a foot, and did so consistently for the next 12 swings (wasn't busy) so I just picked the ball up and walked to wedge distance.

Call it a slump, call it a lack of convenient golf time (I've been swamped with other work in the evenings), or call it a golfbbatical but either way, my summer is not shaping up the way I want(ed) it to.

Keep at it, don't let the bad days define your season. A rough patch will make you appreciate those good days! Hopefully your game will come back before you know it.

If it goes bad for me, I never let it go on for more than a couple of days before I seek help from my teacher. I would hook up with a PGA professional in your area. In my book, it is the only way forward. Even the pros see there coaches weekly. We are no different. Seek professional help.

After longing to play golf all through the winter months and living vicariously through those of you who are lucky enough to play year round, I started this season with quite a lot of enthusiasm.. but I have to say, that enthusiasm died very quickly.

It's been about 3 weeks since I've even held a club because of some bad habits or flaws that started to appear. Instead of slicing my ball like I used to do, I seem to have over compensated and i started pulling the ball to the point where i'd have no clue where any shot would go. And then I noticed that on my backswing, both my shoulders had started popping (really kind of sketchy)... and then during the last round I played, I couldn't even hit the ball at one tee box. I just hit behind the ball by about a foot, and did so consistently for the next 12 swings (wasn't busy) so I just picked the ball up and walked to wedge distance.

Call it a slump, call it a lack of convenient golf time (I've been swamped with other work in the evenings), or call it a golfbbatical but either way, my summer is not shaping up the way I want(ed) it to.

Try taking a few lessons. Thats the short route. Or, hit the driving range quite a bit to get it sorted out. As someone stated earlier in another thread, "its a process".
Good luck and stay with it.

Try taking a few lessons. Thats the short route. Or, hit the driving range quite a bit to get it sorted out. As someone stated earlier in another thread, "its a process".
Good luck and stay with it.

Agreed. Try not to let the game get you down

Tap tap taparoo

I'm kind of in the same boat right now. Haven't swung a club in about two and a half weeks.

60-hour workweeks, heat and humidity, and in the process of moving all have taken their toll on my time and motivation to play.

Cheers guys, I think I may just have too much on my plate right now.
I'll try and get back into lessons next Friday when I have another Friday off... but right now, I'm just sketched out about why my shoulders are popping. That's a new development, and I'm really not liking it.

Update: I almost broke my wrist on Sunday (potential Scaphoid fracture) but *only* ended up severely spraining it while playing football. So basically my season is done, and I now have the potential to never return to 100%. (insert expletive not suitable for a family friendly forum)

Really sorry to hear that, RF.

Get well soon RF, injuries suck my friend.

That sucks man, I hope you can get back to 100% though..

That sounds awful. Have you thought about getting a lesson? Perhaps it is something minor that could be corrected rather quickly.

I think we all sometimes take a little break from golf when we are struggling. Earlier this summer I took about a month break from golf and stopped going on golf forums completely simply because I was struggling with my swing and just needed to not think about golf for a while.
Now Im back and my game is better than ever. Sometimes taking some time off to clear your mind and hit the reset button your golf game can be a very good thing.

Back