Cobra Golf Long Tom Driver Preview

I have them all the time. Kmac, what do you see in terms of difference in distance between the LT2W and the Mashie F3 off the tee?

Distance is a real issue for me right now. Take Sunday I hit the LT2W on hole #2 like 170 LOL and then most of the other holes 200-220 and this is with a very suspect swing at the moment. BUT from what Ive seen so far Id say there is about 15 - 20 yards difference between them specially when hit well and normally.

Nice thoughts Kmac. Do you think there is anything different between the LT2W and say an older driver that has a smaller head

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

Good question Chunky. Not really sure I know the answer to that one though.

I guess only chunkyhoarder has some old 260cc drivers laying around :alien:

Kmac, I know that you're working hard on your swing and that you don't fully have the new stuff ingrained yet, so to see you hit all your FIR's with the LT2 is fantastic. At least you're not incurring any penalties with it, that's always a good thing.

Kmac, I know that you're working hard on your swing and that you don't fully have the new stuff ingrained yet, so to see you hit all your FIR's with the LT2 is fantastic. At least you're not incurring any penalties with it, that's always a good thing.

That was my thinking too and to be honest a pleasant surprise to me. You and I both know the range and the course are two different things for both of us so seeing this thing nail FW's like that was awesome. I was a tad-ashi worried after the first range session and seeing all those leakers but I saw nothing like that on the course.

That was my thinking too and to be honest a pleasant surprise to me. You and I both know the range and the course are two different things for both of us so seeing this thing nail FW's like that was awesome. I was a tad-ashi worried after the first range session and seeing all those leakers but I saw nothing like that on the course.

That's outstanding. At least it seems to be making your time on the course more enjoyable due to the fact you can at least hit some approach shots.

Tell me about that tiny grip dude. I'm not a fan. I've handled it on the driver in the shop and my mits barely fit on that thing.

If only there was a place or two that had a ton of old junk you could buy for pennies

That's outstanding. At least it seems to be making your time on the course more enjoyable due to the fact you can at least hit some approach shots.

Tell me about that tiny grip dude. I'm not a fan. I've handled it on the driver in the shop and my mits barely fit on that thing.

I can see a few people and some internet golfers not liking it but it didnt bother me. It is very small though so if you have club hands it might be an issue. It reminds of the grip that was on the SuperFast 2.0 but smaller. Whats the whole thinking with the ultra small grip I wonder. Chunky approved?

I just get the feeling that I would slice this sucker off the map. That wont stop me from trying it out though!

I just get the feeling that I would slice this sucker off the map. That wont stop me from trying it out though!

This is what I was expecting but I found it not as hard to control as I thought it might be. I saw a nice 5-10 yard fade.

Actually i believe the reason for the smaller grip was so that people didn't choke down on the club. Get the full benefit of the longer shaft.

Actually i believe the reason for the smaller grip was so that people didn't choke down on the club. Get the full benefit of the longer shaft.

The grip does say 'Let it fly' on it so you could be right ese

I think I could game this. Been messing about with some extra length on my driver, and a smoother swing this year, and I'm seeing some lovely consistent results. Knowing that you really can't go after it really makes a difference to your mindset from the tee I reckon.

Its sneaky good dudem. Sleeper club of the year candidate

Hoping to get my hands on one after the MC broski. But I don't know where I would put it. remove the putter??? HAHA

Long Tom Convert

Long Tom Convert

Sometimes it just takes one swing.

After reading some THP posts on Cobra's new Long Tom driver, I decided to give it a try myself. I got a slightly used LT off Ebay for $200 - 10 degree/stiff. When the box arrived I took it straight out to the course, even though I only had about five minutes before I was to meet my wife for dinner. The 10th hole on my home course is right off the parking lot, so after checking to see if anyone was making the turn, I just stepped out of the car and walked up to tips on the 10th tee. The 10th is a pretty easy hole fromt he men's tee, but from the tips it requires a 220 carry over water, which was going to be play a little bit longer given there was about a 10 mph breeze in my face.

Without any warmup othe than a couple of practice swings - and in my office shoes - I teed up the first of the 5 disposable balls I willing to sacrafice for the cause. The first shot took off like a rocket, which I guess makes sense given that origin of Long Tom is from a WWII artillery piece. I cleared the lake by a good 20 yards AND the ball landed right in the middle of the fairway. The club felt so light that the extra 2 inches of shaft was hardly even noticeable. Assuming the first drive maybe beginner's luck, I teed up the second. If anything this ball carried even further than the first. The same could be said for my next three attempts.

I didn't have time for any more, but came back later that night when there was only abour an hour of daylight left. This time I went up to the men's tee, which is only about a 190 yard carry over the water. I hit 10 balls, nine of which were in the fairway. The only one that missed rolled into the rough by now more than a foot or two. But not only were the drives straight, they were long. Really, really long. I didn't hit approach shots with all the drives, but the three I did hit were sand wedges when normally I'll be hitting a pitching or gap wedge.

After a little bit of putting practice, I walked over to the 18th tee which is right next to the 10th green. The 18th is a challenging finishing hole with the same lake running along the left side of the hole. Right of the fairway is no-mow section that punishes those who try it play it too safe to avoid the water. I only had enough sunlight to hit three tee shots, and they were the three best shots I've ever hit on that hole. EVER! All three were hit with same penetrating ball flight with a slight baby draw. Each landed within about five yards of the other, leaving no more than a gap wedge to a green in which I'm normally hitting a 8 or 9 iron.

So let's see. So far I've hit 18 drives with this club, and have hit the fairway 17 times. Not only that, I would conservatively say that I have gained about 10-15 yards, which is a full club - if not club and half - on my approach shots. Yea, I think it's a keeper.

The Long Tom has an incredibly smooth feel to it. I would almost compare it to the buttery feel you get off a Seemore putter, plus 280 yards or so. This morning the first thing I did was put my R11s for sale on Ebay. From here on out, I'm a Long Tom man.

Nice read, I went with the ZL.
At the next demo day I will give the LT a try

A couple of weeks ago I posed my inital thoughts on Cobra's Long Tom driver. Now with about a dozen rounds under my belt, I can still say this driver is the real deal. I have gained at least 10-15 yards on my drives, and am hitting one less club on the approaches. The only thing I need to guard against is the big double miss right. I generally hit a draw, so my aim point is usually down the right side of the fairway. There have been a couple of occasion where I've hit a push fade when I already was aiming right. Other than that, this club has delivered as promised, with no loss in accuracy. Yesterday I played an 18 hole two-ball match - Wilson Duo vs. Prov1. Of the 20 times I hit the LT, I was in the fairway 18 times. That, plus the extra distance, has made me a pretty happy camper.

In fact, I was so happy with this club, I decided to get the 2-wood as well. My experience with the 2-wood is a little more mixed. Unlike its bigger brother - who I took an immediate liking to - the 2 wood has been a little more difficult to control, at least off the deck. From the tee box it's a killer. Prior to the LT I gamed the R11s. The 2-wood is easily as long, if not longer than the R11s. The smaller head, but driver size shaft length makes this a great choice for some tighter holes on our course.

However, off the deck I've had some issues. When hit properly it really goes. In fact, between the LT driver and 2-wood, there are no par 5s on our course that I couldn't reach in two. Unfortunatley, there's also no par 5 hole that I also couldn't snap hook into the trees or water. In order to keep the ball in play I either need to aim 30 yards to the right of my target, manipulate the face of the club open before the takeaway, or both. I find both of these techniques to be a little uncomfortable. Aiming 30 yards right of my target on 3 of our 4 par 5s means I'm setting up dead straight for trees that border the right side of the green, and then hoping the ball swings back.

I can say that if I can master this club, there won't be a true par 5 left for me on our course. Yesterday I dropped about a dozen balls 250 yards out on one of our par 5s. My worst shot - which was a badly topped snap hookish kind of thing - left me 30 yards out. I was either on, or 10 yards from the green with 9 of the shots. There were even a couple that went over the green. I have never had a fw wood with this kind of reach.

Between its usefulness off the tee, and it's long capabilities on par 5s, I'm going to practice really hard with it to see if I can get a tamed a bit. If I can, I could see this club easily cutting off 1-2 strokes a round for me.

And as for it's big brother, all I can say is "wow".

Last edited:
Dude, I would never imagine hitting a 2wood off the turf. You've gone Long Knocker written all over your bag, that's awesome! YOu need to get AMP'd up too!

Good read MU. I have similar feelings about the LT2W, its awesome off the tee but off the deck can be difficult. I have Mashie FW's for those shots so I never even try it anymore. Ive thoroughly enjoyed the LT2W as Ive found it to be a lot easier to hit off the tee then people would think. Its been a FW finder for me and a pleasant surprise.

Agreed Kmac. Finding the fw with the LT2W is almost effortless. I think the next time I play as a single I'm gong to give the LT driver a rest, and only use the LT2W for my tee shots. I expect that I'll find most shots in the middle of the fw with distance comparable to what I was getting with the R11s. As for off the deck...jury's out. Might be a good club for scrambles, but I don't know if I could trust it in a match or tournament situation.

Agreed Kmac. Finding the fw with the LT2W is almost effortless. I think the next time I play as a single I'm gong to give the LT driver a rest, and only use the LT2W for my tee shots. I expect that I'll find most shots in the middle of the fw with distance comparable to what I was getting with the R11s. As for off the deck...jury's out. Might be a good club for scrambles, but I don't know if I could trust it in a match or tournament situation.

Ive only tried it off the deck once I think and oddly enough I smoked it haha. For me the key is not catching it fat. Catch it thin and it will still roll out a lot which is better then a fatty that goes 100 yards. My first round out with the LT2W I think hit every FW with it and only missed one or two FW's the whole day. Those I missed were with driver... makes you think.

It definitely works!

Screen shot 2012-08-04 at 8.52.03 PM.jpg

got the long tom yesterday suprisingly it is easy to hit. its my new gamer when playing. not as long as my 5 and 6 degree kranks with xxxstiff hof shafts, but much easier to hit. i was going to post video of me flying one on the green on a 366yard hole but it says i have to have ten post to attach a file. so ill post it later on after i get some post.

got the long tom yesterday suprisingly it is easy to hit. its my new gamer when playing. not as long as my 5 and 6 degree kranks with xxxstiff hof shafts, but much easier to hit. i was going to post video of me flying one on the green on a 366yard hole but it says i have to have ten post to attach a file. so ill post it later on after i get some post.

Get those posts up. I want to see this video of the Long Tom in action

Get those posts up. I want to see this video of the Long Tom in action
working on it lol maybe in a cpl days ill have 10. It seems the sound has changed a bit from yesterday at the range. seems louder now maybe just be me tho idk. played a 3 man scramble with it today hit some bombs and hit 4 out of 6 fairways hooked 2 ob but my teammates picked me up on those holes. all and all this driver seems very easy to hit for some reason and its very long. i do have to get a new shaft as the one in it now feels like alimp noodle to me.

Back