2012 THP & SCOR Project - Follow-up and Progress

Before I really get started, I wanted to establish a starting place of where I am with my game & my practice habits. I have a 14.5 GHIN index and have always thought my long game was costing me way too many shots. Previously, I gamed the TaylorMade Burner 2.0 PW, AW, SW and a Vokey Spin Milled 60* Lob Wedge. I used my lob wedge for everything around the green that couldn't be putted. I would occasionally use one of the Burner 2 wedges for long green-side bunker shots.

Normally, if I am lucky if I can practice once a week, but usually at least once every 2 weeks. During my practice sessions, I warm up by hitting a few 20 yard pitches or so on the practice green. Then I proceed to pound 50 balls or so on the range, hitting full shots with a variety of everything in my bag. I would rarely, if ever, hit half wedges, long pitches, etc on the range. Only if my buddies challenge me would I hit pitches towards the nets or small flags intended for short game work.

I would only practice my putting during the week if I was working on a putter change or if my buddies wanted to have some small wagers. Prior to a round, I will usually hit about 15 putts and maybe 5 chips before hitting the first tee.

That's where we stand today. My buddies and I intentionally blocked off our work calendars every Wednesday afternoon after 5 so hopefully we will be able to get out of work and have dedicated time to practice once a week. Plenty more to come...

Dan - the pleasure was all ours...thanks for having a great attitude towards the experiment and I look forward to seeing how it goes! My only advice is to focus your practice sessions around distance control and becoming very target specific. I'd encourage to not just do it on the range...grab a shag bag and head to local football field or park with the buddies. Practice hitting 50-70-90 yard pitches using 2-3 different lofts to a trash can, field goal or at each other. Breaks up the monotonous range session...and it's free / BYOB / no dress code. Trust me, if you do that once a week for a month, you'll see a difference in all your iron play.

The wedges look great Dan! I am sure you are going to love them, and it was fun being part of the group with Shawn for this.

Chewie - awesome to meet you as well...thanks for all the video. GolferGal sent it over last week and I haven't had a chance to do anything with it yet...but we did get the 58° hole out that you called on #12! Stay tuned for video and round recap soon.

11 shots is craziness and can get your attention real quick. I look forward to seeing your progress! I just might need to do my own project.....hmmm

I've got some interest in making SCOR's my new wedges, so I will be following along. Looking forward to it, and good luck bro!

This is very cool. I'm excited to follow along. Good luck!

Congrats Dan! I look forward to seeing your short game progress.

Love the thread and will be following your progress. Congrats DD.

Well after getting the wedges yesterday, I had to head to a local course and use their practice facilities. First, I started by warming up with my 9 iron for abt 10 swings then dove right into my new SCORs on the range. I started off with the 55* and started just hitting full shots & 3/4 shots to get a feel for them. I was shocked with how soft they are on contact. They do look much smaller at address than my previous clubs, but I only hit one shot I would consider poor (toe miss in the video where my tempo was too fast). I really like the choke down indicators on the grips. I definitely need practice on the lowest circle as everytime I used it, the shot was hit thin.

I let my buddy hit them on the range and he was shocked at how soft they were too compared to his Vokeys. He's a big Titleist homer (and much better player than me) and said the SCORs gave him alot to think about.

After I burned through my 45 balls on the range, I hit up the chipping area and worked there for about 40 mins. First I started off with my traditional chips with the 60* then worked on my chunk and runs with the 50*. I never really used the chunk and run until playing with Shawn and was shocked how easy it is to hit. My buddy and I then played a horse style game where wed alternate choosing chipping locations and put a few beers on the line. it was really fun to see how easy the short game is when you have shot choices for each shot and dont just blindly try to fly the ball 10 feet from the pin and hope it stops close. I won the contest and the beers (2 chip ins).

We then moved to the putting green where we spent 25 mins and played the same game. He won the putting game (and his beers back) and I learned I really need to work on my green reading. I ventured into my closet for my backup and paid for it dearly. Hopefully my full time putter heard the wakeup call and we get along much better when we play this weekend.

Here are a few shots of the wedges after I washed them up this am:
50* & 55*
IMAG0065.jpg

55* & 60*
IMAG0066.jpg

Here's a vid of my first few swings with the 55* attacking the 110 flag.

I'm pretty excited so far, but the real truth will come Saturday when I take them to the course for their first full round.

Nice Dan, excellent write ups. I love hearing short game practice and how it's so different from one guy to another. The bump and run is money.

Tap-in Talking

Dan - great report...glad it went well and you found the practice time you were looking for. I'd forgotten how solid your swing is...cannot wait to hear how you play Saturday. I might need a text message.

Re: Titleist homer - That is a seriously funny term you've coined. Have to admit I'll be borrowing it.

Dan - great report...glad it went well and you found the practice time you were looking for. I'd forgotten how solid your swing is...cannot wait to hear how you play Saturday. I might need a text message.

Re: Titleist homer - That is a seriously funny term you've coined. Have to admit I'll be borrowing it.
There are a lot of them Shawn so be ready lol. Great update Dan, glad to see your getting along with your SCOR's!

Last edited:
Very interested in reading along with your progress ddxu! I purchased a 52 and 57 myself and am incredibly happy with them so far - just need to put some more practice time in with em!

Best of luck to you!

My Specs:
SCOR 4161 Matched Set of Four
45*, 50*, 55*, 60*
Genius 12 KBS Tour Steel Shafts
1* upright
Std length & grip

Very Nice write up...subscribed!

Would like to hear what you think of the 5 degree gap, looking at this same setup sometime in the future, but was thinking of keeping it to a 4 degree gap from the PW on down.

June 2, 2012
Stone Canyon Golf Club
Mid 70s Winds 15-20 mph
18 holes Black Tees

Background info on SCOR Project

The weather was pretty awesome here this weekend, so I was able to play Saturday at a great course outside KC. After practicing earlier in the week, I was really excited to see how the short game held up under the pressure of a match with my buddies. I continue to be impressed with my SCORs around the green. Shawn would be proud, I noticed myself taking 2 wedges when leaving the cart almost every time. No way to tell exactly what club you will need until you survey the whole shot. The 50* bump and run came through for me big time and I was able to get up and down 4/6 times I used it on the opening 18 (not sure why the GHIN software only considers an up and down when you make par). As you will see from my stats below, I struggled with the flat stick and with finding the greens. Without my improved short game, I wouldve been much higher on the scorecard and lighter in the wallet.

Here is my card:
ScreenShot2012-06-04at55033AM-1.jpg

I probably struggled the most with the 45* PW. I need to dedicate more time to it during my next practice session, as I hit about 3/5 shots fat and left them short of the green. The 60* was awesome from the greenside bunkers, and I was able to get up and down from the sand 2/4 times.

However, I hit the shot of my life on the par 4 17th to close out the match. Hit the 50* from 122 and left it on the lip. I've never had an eagle, so this was a real thrill for me. Such a good shot, our opponents had our $20 waiting for us before we even got to the green.

IMAG0070.jpg

I am pretty excited with how my game is coming into form. Obviously, with 37 putts, I know what I need to dedicate more time during practice. I am waiting to hear back on getting a putting lesson early this week, so hopefully, we can get that 37 putt number down to 30-32. That 50* club is my new fav and cant believe I havent played the bump and run until now.

Last edited:
Nice shot DDXU! I am glad you are enjoying the SCOR wedges.

Congrats again Dan, you are rocking the vids and write ups. Looks like the putter is going to get more practice time and the score will be heading down. Call John at SeeMore Putters and just talk a little about your problems with the flatstick and what he recommends, I bet those scores go down real fast, he cares about helping people no matter what brand they use. I am subscribing to this thread to follow your progress. ,

June 2, 2012
Stone Canyon Golf Club
Mid 70s Winds 15-20 mph
18 holes Black Tees

Background info on SCOR Project

The weather was pretty awesome here this weekend, so I was able to play Saturday at a great course outside KC. After practicing earlier in the week, I was really excited to see how the short game held up under the pressure of a match with my buddies. I continue to be impressed with my SCORs around the green. Shawn would be proud, I noticed myself taking 2 wedges when leaving the cart almost every time. No way to tell exactly what club you will need until you survey the whole shot. The 50* bump and run came through for me big time and I was able to get up and down 4/6 times I used it on the opening 18 (not sure why the GHIN software only considers an up and down when you make par). As you will see from my stats below, I struggled with the flat stick and with finding the greens. Without my improved short game, I wouldve been much higher on the scorecard and lighter in the wallet.

Here is my card:

I probably struggled the most with the 45* PW. I need to dedicate more time to it during my next practice session, as I hit about 3/5 shots fat and left them short of the green. The 60* was awesome from the greenside bunkers, and I was able to get up and down from the sand 2/4 times.

However, I hit the shot of my life on the par 4 17th to close out the match. Hit the 50* from 122 and left it on the lip. I've never had an eagle, so this was a real thrill for me. Such a good shot, our opponents had our $20 waiting for us before we even got to the green.

I am pretty excited with how my game is coming into form. Obviously, with 37 putts, I know what I need to dedicate more time during practice. I am waiting to hear back on getting a putting lesson early this week, so hopefully, we can get that 37 putt number down to 30-32. That 50* club is my new fav and cant believe I havent played the bump and run until now.

This is interesting to me. Have you seen issues with this one on the range too?

great shot dan ... good write ups i'm def following you along

This is interesting to me. Have you seen issues with this one on the range too?

I noticed it more on the range when trying to hit full shots with the 60*. The turf on the range is usually iffy because of all the sand and stuff, so its hard to show a correlation. It could also be because the SCOR 45 is heavier than my Burner 2 PW, but I cant say thats the cause for sure either.

You know me though, hardly a master of consistent ball striking.

Great info in this thread DDXU! This makes me rethink my stock standard Cleveland wedges not custom to my swing like my i20s. Looking forward to seeing more progress.

Tappin' dat pad on tapatalk

Great info. I will continue to watch this thread and your progress closely. My new wedge short list is down to three.

Nice updates Dan - glad to see you putting these through the paces at a nice clip.

Question for you - do you feel any less confidence in the SCOR's over your 2.0's or wedges due to the smaller head profile?

I had my weekly practice session last night. No range time, just 20 mins on the chipping green and 35 mins on the putting green. The 50* continues to shine on the chunk and run, man what a useful shot on the quick greens we have around here now. I spent some time with the 60* in the bunkers and found a nice little rhythm. Obviously, it helps hitting 5 bunker shots in a row, but I like what I came away with. I tried to open myself more to the target and that helped me turn a bit easier.

On the putting green I took a tip I received from SCOR on Twitter and really worked on my distance control of my putts (with the hope of reducing my 3 putts). I took my driver to the flattest part of the green and laid it down nowhere near a hole. I then took 3 balls and practice trying to stop the ball just in front of the shaft without hitting it. I was shocked how tough it was (or how crappy my distance control is now) once I got outside of 10'.

Nice updates Dan - glad to see you putting these through the paces at a nice clip.

Question for you - do you feel any less confidence in the SCOR's over your 2.0's or wedges due to the smaller head profile?

Thanks Cookie. I actually find myself focusing on making better contact because they are smaller (and less forgiving on misses than my Burner 2s). Granted, its been 2 weeks or so now, but I was really surprised how crisp I am hitting full shots with the 3 shortest wedges. I had a case of the chunks last weekend w/ the PW, so that will get some attention next week, especially if I continue to chunk it when I play this weekend. I hope I just had the ball too far back in my stance, but we shall see.

looks good ddxu! Going down to the 45 and 50 is pretty brave, but it sounds like it's working pretty well for you.

Nice update DD, looks like they are really helping out, if the putts start to drop the score will really plummet!!

I played 36 holes while in Indianapolis for a wedding this past weekend and those 2 rounds sum up golf perfectly. Personal best 80 on Friday with a back to normal 90 on Saturday morning.

Here are the stats:
Fri (80): 7 FIR, 10 GIR, 36 putts, 0 penalties
Sat (90): 2 FIR, 6 GIR, 37 putts, 2 penalties

I am really starting to get dialed in with the short wedges and its pretty fun to chip around the greens. The Course I played Saturday (Purgatory Golf Club) was much more difficult than Friday (Pleasant Run). I am really dialed in with using the 50* around the green unless I am really short sided. The new SCOR grips are really nice and the dummy marks for hand positions really take the guess work out of tweener shots.

I am still struggling with the 45* PW and was really chunking shots with it on the damp fairways Sat morning. I need to take it to the range with a video camera & a few beers one night and just get it figured out so I can quit thinking about chunking everytime I stand over it. Its weird to me, because I dont have the issue at all with the 50, 55, or 60.

The flat stick is still hurting me, but my Father in law helped show me how poorly I was aiming. I was pointing everything left and just never noticed it until he made it apparent. The trick he used was to use the alignment line on the ball not to point at the hole, but to be square to your line. Once I addressed it, I noticed my toe was too closed. Easy trick and I never thought of it before.

Back