Down for the count

Hankster

Grooming the Green
Reaction score
Handicap
In 10 years I've never injured myself playing golf. That streak's over. Threw out my back using a 3w. Can't believe it. In so much pain I can barely stand up straight.

This is the second time my back has failed me, first time was 5 years ago during work. Oh, the mental agony of not being able to even swing a club...or a putter! What am I suppose to do for the next week.

In 10 years I've never injured myself playing golf. That streak's over. Threw out my back using a 3w. Can't believe it. In so much pain I can barely stand up straight.

This is the second time my back has failed me, first time was 5 years ago during work. Oh, the mental agony of not being able to even swing a club...or even a putter!

That's rough man, I know what it's like. Hope you get better soon.

Its ok man, sometimes its just your body telling you to take a break. Use the time to do some reading, maybe some golf reading and just relax. While I'm not injured I feel I've played and practiced a little too much lately and I'm taking the next 3 days off of all things golf. Sorry to hear you hurt yourself man.

Hope you get better soon. Now, get those yardage books out, and do some course management work. What clubs to hit and when. LOL.

Seriously, I feel for ya. Rest, heat/ice and scotch.

I get hurt playing golf every time anymore. By the time I get back home after a round, my back is killing me.

Thankfully I still am young and don't have to worry about my back.

Thankfully I still am young and don't have to worry about my back.

I was 29 the first time my back went out and have been dealing with it ever since.

I was 29 the first time my back went out and have been dealing with it ever since.

Same here. I was 30 when I threw my back out the first time, I knew it would never be the same. What sucks is a local bank just asked me to play in their charity tournament next month. I was so looking forward to practicing! Agh.

No muscle or back injuries, but every time I walk the course I get some wicked chafing. I won't say where.

sucks, hoping u bounce back quickly!

The key is to take the proper time to get healthy and not try to test it to soon. I just had my wrist cutt up and i am dieing to get back on the course. My wife even threatened to lock up my clubs because i keep tring to test swing them to see how it feels. To make matter worse i drive past course and they are doing tournament today and all my buddys wave and text me saying they wish i could be out there. Oh the tourture

I was 29 first time I messed up my back doing some plumbing work at the house. I was sidelined for about 5months

That. Just. Happened. (tapatalk)

+1 on the scotch. Although a vodka martini is another solid remedy.

It will be one week tomorrow (around 5:45 CST to be exact) when I injured my back. I am very happy to report after a pretty painful and uncomfortable week, I feel much better today. I went to the doctor to confirm it was nothing serious, and I was prescribed a muscle relaxer that helped me sleep. I was feeling good enough earlier today that I seriously considered taking a few swings in the garage when I was taking out the trash. Common sense prevailed though, and I plan on taking another week off (or at least until tomorrow afternoon).

I found a heating pad really helped keep me loose. Get well soon.

I had back surgery about 5 years ago to repair some damage around the L5-S1 area. Last year about this time, I was getting back into a boat via the swim platform after doing some watersports that can be rough on the back and when I stood up straight my shoulders were not aligned directly over my pelvis - they were about 5 inches to the left of where they should be....looked very freaky. Did a bunch of work with a chiro between adustments and electro therapy and it cleared up after about 6 weeks.

Fast forward to this morning - did nothing special to aggravate it and it happened AGAIN. Sitting in bed now sipping on a vodka and already took a pill for muscle spasms. Feels ok when I stand up but after being on my feet for about 5 minutes, my alignment is jacked and it hurts like hell.

May take a photo later to be excused from iron testing for a short period of time. :D

Well, I actually think I pulled my left calf playing at the range the other day. I don't know how I did it but it really stings.

Getting old stinks but sounds like a muscle pull and as painful as they are excercise and stretching are very good for your swing. This time off may be the time to start thinking about training your core which is critical for golf and prevent injury

I had back surgery about 5 years ago to repair some damage around the L5-S1 area. Last year about this time, I was getting back into a boat via the swim platform after doing some watersports that can be rough on the back and when I stood up straight my shoulders were not aligned directly over my pelvis - they were about 5 inches to the left of where they should be....looked very freaky. Did a bunch of work with a chiro between adustments and electro therapy and it cleared up after about 6 weeks.

Fast forward to this morning - did nothing special to aggravate it and it happened AGAIN. Sitting in bed now sipping on a vodka and already took a pill for muscle spasms. Feels ok when I stand up but after being on my feet for about 5 minutes, my alignment is jacked and it hurts like hell.

May take a photo later to be excused from iron testing for a short period of time. :D
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2013/2127854676_952e732abe.jpg

Dang mc, you take care of that back buddy. I have been seeing a chiropractor for about a month and it is not doing much good. I am scheduled to see an orthopedic surgeon in mid-August hopefully for a nerve block. I truly sympathize.
Plus we must be in good shape for the 2012 outing for sure.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2013/2127854676_952e732abe.jpg

Dang mc, you take care of that back buddy. I have been seeing a chiropractor for about a month and it is not doing much good. I am scheduled to see an orthopedic surgeon in mid-August hopefully for a nerve block. I truly sympathize.
Plus we must be in good shape for the 2012 outing for sure.

LOL @ the photo! Thanks DD - definitely will be ready for the 2012 outing...this thing just came out of the blue. I workout religiously 5 days/week and do core work every single day so I definitely take care of my body. BUT, I have been slacking on the daily stretching and I am paying for it now I believe.

Let me know how your appt goes! I do not wish this on anyone (not even Team Paradise)!!

I do not regret one bit having surgery when I did (microdiscetcomy) because I was in pain for a long time and tried everything I could prior to surgery (PT, injections, etc). Years of running in the Marine Corps and then wakeboarding is probably the cause...thinking I am 19 when I am 30 or 32 did not help!

LOL @ the photo! Thanks DD - definitely will be ready for the 2012 outing...this thing just came out of the blue. I workout religiously 5 days/week and do core work every single day so I definitely take care of my body. BUT, I have been slacking on the daily stretching and I am paying for it now I believe.

Let me know how your appt goes! I do not wish this on anyone (not even Team Paradise)!!

I do not regret one bit having surgery when I did (microdiscetcomy) because I was in pain for a long time and tried everything I could prior to surgery (PT, injections, etc). Years of running in the Marine Corps and then wakeboarding is probably the cause...thinking I am 19 when I am 30 or 32 did not help!

To be honest MC, the surgery outcome depends on what needs to be done and who does it. Special emphasis on the "who does it". I had back surgery a little over a year ago. I am a new man thanks to my doctor. Epidurals (steroid blocks) did absolutely nothing for me. The blocks only postpone the inevitable. Do some research, find the best surgeon in your area, could be an orthopedic or neurologist. And never be afraid to get a second opinion. Thats what I did. Good luck.

To be honest MC, the surgery outcome depends on what needs to be done and who does it. Special emphasis on the "who does it". I had back surgery a little over a year ago. I am a new man thanks to my doctor. Epidurals (steroid blocks) did absolutely nothing for me. The blocks only postpone the inevitable. Do some research, find the best surgeon in your area, could be an orthopedic or neurologist. And never be afraid to get a second opinion. Thats what I did. Good luck.

I actually already had surgery 5 years ago but that was for a disc at L5-S1 that was hitting a nerve and sending constant pain down my left leg (especially when sitting & standing). Surgery was performed at a facility called Spine Team Texas by a very good doctor.

Just got off the phone with one of my best buddies who is a chiro and he is going to come over tomorrow and adjust me, etc. I just need to do my damn stretches as I have always been told and I could probably avoid this.

This is the second time my back has failed me, first time was 5 years ago during work. Oh, the mental agony of not being able to even swing a club...or a putter! What am I suppose to do for the next week.

That stinks Hankster, I was out for a month earlier in the year. Any injury that keeps us from golf is no good. I have had to revamp my swing due to lower back issues, it all works out in the end.

Back