Breaking Clubs have you done it?

Probably 15+ years ago, I was on a course late afternoon by myself and had recently bought a Ben Hogan 4 wood with a graphite shaft. It was my first "metal" wood and the shaft was like a wet noodle. The first generation of graphite shafts were awful and unless you had a 25 mph clubhead speed they were terrible to hit!

I had complained about getting it reshafted for weeks with a steel shaft. I pulled it out on a longer par 4 and once again sent the ball a mile to the right. I immediately took it and snapped it over my knee. I dropped it off at the local club repair guy and the next day had a steel shaft put in. Only club I ever broke, and I wouldn't really call it "in anger", more of just speeding up the reshafting process it needed.

Yes, at least 6. 4 of these were shaft breaks from hitting a root/rock/tree but the other 2 were in anger. Usually from throwing it or slamming it into my bag.
I am terrible I know.

Yes, at least 6. 4 of these were shaft breaks from hitting a root/rock/tree but the other 2 were in anger. Usually from throwing it or slamming it into my bag.
I am terrible I know.

Hardly rb!! We all have our faults.

I've never broken a club but I've thrown and buried a few. I usually curse the club few times over and then go on. Shafts are way too expensive to be breaking and having them replaced.

This game can certainly be frustrating, but breaking clubs in anger, or throwing them is just disrespectful and can be dangerous. We pay too much to play this game to do stuff like that, and if it comes to that, maybe one should take a break from the game for a while.

Very true. Just because I don't think of breaking my clubs doesn't mean I don't take things more negatively than I should. I just do it on the inside. I don't know why I've always been that way. Baseball I didn't get mad at my bat or glove, but I definitely got ejected from my fair share of games. I think I learned it from boxing as a kid.

I am terrible I know.

In your case I think its just passionate, lol. The guy I played with that broke one beat the hell out of our rental cart and trashed the tee box. I was worried about myself, haha

Gee thanks. At one point last year both my pw and my 54* wedge were broken. And both shafts broke under the grip. There was a huge gap between my 9 iron and my 58* lol

Are we talking accidental breakage or anger? I'm skimming here like skim shady.

Tapatalk: not just for staffers.

Are we talking accidental breakage or anger? I'm skimming here like skim shady.

Tapatalk: not just for staffers.

I took it as breaking them out of anger.

I took it as breaking them out of anger.

Yeah thats what I figured, Ive never snapped a club but Ive wanted to. I had one of those TM Burner bubble drivers snap off on its own though

Never on purpose but I have broken the shaft on my driver while I was hitting a ball. Nothing funnier than seeing the head of your driver go farther than the ball. I couldnt even get mad at it, I just laughed. :D

No, too expensive!

I don't know if this counts, but I once broke the shaft of a 4 iron in the grip part while taking a practice swing. They were very inferior golf clubs, as the whole set was only $150 so I guess that explains why :D

No. Never. Not ever, even accidentally. And certainly not in anger.

I have borken one. It was a mizuno hi fli 2 and I hit a bad shot, and flipped the club to the ground, and it landed on the shaft instead of the head, and just snapped it right in 2. Wasn't an intentional break, but was caused by anger none the less. Now, my best friend, I watched him snap 4 clubheads off in one round on trees, on purpose, throw one in a lake and then one over a road. The first time it was funny, but by the end of the round, it was just sad.

I'm usually a very laid back guy, but when I get in competitive situations I have a wee bit of a temper. Ive broken a few stand bags and a club or two in my day. Not proud of it and really regret it after the fact. My Mother would not be happy.

Unfortunately a number of them as a kid. A 3W was the usual victim, I still hate them, but haven't done it in around 30 years.

I broke one once. I have since taken a step back and decided I will NEVER act like that again on a golf course

+2. I broke the head off a hybrid once after a bad shot several years ago and vowed to never do it again and I have not.

Havent broken one yet.

Never actually broke a club, I've slammed a club down à la Tiger a few times, not proud of it but sometimes it gets hard to control my temper when I make a stupid mistake. I now usually revert to drowning or donating a ball to the woods.

I once took a half hearted swing at my bag with the grip end of my Sand Wedge. The grip clipped the lock that holds the strap in place, that holds your bag in place onto the cart...... and we were on a hill.Some of my clubs came out of the bag but what was worse was a bunch of balls, tees, markers, and other stuff came spilling out of the pockets.

My friend once somehow got the driver shaft stuck between his legs as he was bending down to pick up his tee. He rolled down off the teebox and somehow snapped the shaft. No Joke, on of the funniest thing I've ever seen in my life. He's a large guy and was wearing a red windbreaker and white pants, he looked like a beach ball rolling down the beach.

Way back when I started playing I broke a sandwedge, nothing recently and have learned that getting that upset on the course is does nothing for my game!!!

I'm not a good enough golfer to get upset about bad shots so I just think about what I did wrong and move on to the next shot. I'm just happy to be golfing.

I havent broke any clubs, but have thrown a couple over the years. I hit a bad slice into the water a couple years ago, then launched a 4 wood but accidentally hung on for to long and it went way left into the woods. 30 minutes later and after climbing up half a tree I finally got it back. Lesson learned. Now when I get a little frustrated I mumble a few choice words then just hit the club sole on the ground, not very hard to break it, but enough to let it know who's boss.

Back