The Official Tiger Woods Thread

Define dominant.

Kevin

From the urban Dictionary: Dominate

Most recently used at Penn State University where it is used to describe a hardcore devouring of a substance (usually food); can also be used (less frequently) to describe how skilled one is at a particular task.
You dominated those chips!

I'm about to dominate my lunch.

I totally dominate in poker...

Here's my stab at defining "back" as in, "he's back"... Dominates an event (had he shot sub 70 Sunday this would have qualified) and follows that up with another top 10 showing the following event he plays. Or wins 2 or more of the first 10 events he plays. Or wins 4+ times total next year. Or wins 3 times with 1 being a major (this would match/exceed the season Furyk just had to win player of the year).

This is just off the top of my head for fun. Interested to hear what would qualify for others.

How are those btw???????

I hope you are right in your predictions for next year.
TW's are good to me. I have the 09, 10, and 11. let's just say I like 'em. :)

Here's my stab at defining "back" as in, "he's back"... Dominates an event (had he shot sub 70 Sunday this would have qualified) and follows that up with another top 10 showing the following event he plays. Or wins 2 or more of the first 10 events he plays. Or wins 4+ times total next year. Or wins 3 times with 1 being a major (this would match/exceed the season Furyk just had to win player of the year).

This is just off the top of my head for fun. Interested to hear what would qualify for others.

You're the first to ever answer that question, here or elsewhere. Thanks. If he accomplished what you outline, aside from maybe the first, I will admit he's back. Until then he's an above average golfer. Because of his prior success, a win and twelfth on the money list is not "back".

Kevin

agreed. to me, that sounds about right.

Tigers done!

Tiger is back!.......to losing

^^^^^^ I Tapped That ^^^^^^

I like the way John Cook (fellow nike stablemate) hyped tiger's range sesion earlier in the week. Nice try John and nike. It really had Bjorn shaking in his spikes.

I like the way John Cook (fellow nike stablemate) hyped tiger's range sesion earlier in the week. Nice try John and nike. It really had Bjorn shaking in his spikes.

Yeah I don't know what they were thinking to be honest. They did put some unneeded pressure to perform on tiger.

Edit. Maybe pressure isn't the word, but expectation.

From the iPhone.

rbrown2769 just stated a great point on another thread - "Tiger needs to play golf." EXACTLY - he is struggling - missing tournaments isn't the answer - he should play every stinking week - It's like a shooters mentality in basketball - THE NEXT ONE IS GOING IN. Same thought process...

He also needs to play tournaments that he doesn't normally. WM, valero, etc.

From the iPhone.

Completely agreed - He's still trying to stick to his comfort zone. IT'S NOT WORKING!

rbrown2769 just stated a great point on another thread - "Tiger needs to play golf." EXACTLY - he is struggling - missing tournaments isn't the answer - he should play every stinking week - It's like a shooters mentality in basketball - THE NEXT ONE IS GOING IN. Same thought process...

He also needs to play tournaments that he doesn't normally. WM, valero, etc.

From the iPhone.

Agreed, but look back at the last 8 years. He just DOES NOT play courses that he has not owned in the past. He has only played courses that really set up for his game well.

Agreed, but look back at the last 8 years. He just DOES NOT play courses that he has not owned in the past. He has only played courses that really set up for his game well.

True. And he is trying to stick to his comfort zone. His old comfort zone and new perception is so different it seems like he's trying to force it. Like Nobilo said, he's jamming the old square peg in the new round hole(no pun intended).

From the iPhone.

This is a great point and something I never realized before THP. He just doesnt play a course that doesnt suit him. Its pretty smart actually if you think about it from his point of view. And with his game or lack of now its probably even less likely hes going to play a course he doesnt like.

This is a great point and something I never realized before THP. He just doesnt play a course that doesnt suit him. Its pretty smart actually if you think about it from his point of view. And with his game or lack of now its probably even less likely hes going to play a course he doesnt like.

Even though his game is completely different now.

From the iPhone.

True. And he is trying to stick to his comfort zone. His old comfort zone and new perception is so different it seems like he's trying to force it. Like Nobilo said, he's jamming the old square peg in the new round hole(no pun intended).

From the iPhone.

That is what got him in this predicament....

Right. But will he improve this way? I say no

Of course he will. He said it takes 2 years to make a swing change. That gives all of his fans and the media 2 full years for him to win a tournament and then everybody can come back and say "told ya so, it was just a swing change". There is no doubt he will win again at some point. Too much sheer talent and course knowledge of the ones he chooses to play to not win. Plus, he has to give those fans something to hold onto, that glimmer of hope, etc....

I dont understand his choices and frankly dont really care about them outside of my job. But I do know that there were a lot of people that said another golfer did not have the drive to compete week in and week out because he was more into his kids and family. Then TW said the exact same thing but those same people say he has more drive than anybody else. I dont get it, I never will. Subjective thoughts and realist point of views apparently have no place in sports.

Of course he will. He said it takes 2 years to make a swing change. That gives all of his fans and the media 2 full years for him to win a tournament and then everybody can come back and say "told ya so, it was just a swing change". There is no doubt he will win again at some point. Too much sheer talent and course knowledge of the ones he chooses to play to not win. Plus, he has to give those fans something to hold onto, that glimmer of hope, etc....

I dont understand his choices and frankly dont really care about them outside of my job. But I do know that there were a lot of people that said another golfer did not have the drive to compete week in and week out because he was more into his kids and family. Then TW said the exact same thing but those same people say he has more drive than anybody else. I dont get it, I never will. Subjective thoughts and realist point of views apparently have no place in sports.

Dude, I agree completely!! Ironically, the guy who gets crucified for having no drive is playing week in and week out and playing quite well. That same golfer has also said that by now, his swing is what it is, and that he wants to focus more on touch and feel, and ironically, he's proving his critics wrong.

Great points, but will he improve? My thoughts are he needs to play the tournaments that don't fit his game - and be forced to work on the things that he doesn't do well. Equals overall improvement- no? Or is the tour so specialized with various courses designed for certain strengths of certain players that there are tournaments that he doesn't think he can win? Are there some courses and tournaments that even at his best, he couldn't win because of the layout?

There is one place that we all know he can show up and win. A course that he has dominated in the past. Sets up well to his game. He was in contention there just after his comeback and was still being heckled for being a liar.

That is Augusta. Will he win there, I dont have a crystal ball, and his game right now is a mess. But it is one course that suits his game perfectly. It is the one place with the fewest distractions. Plus regardless what he does for the rest of the year after that, his fans can say "I told ya so".

Ironically those same fans came down hard on another person for doing the same thing last year, but again, subjective thoughts have no place in sports evidently...hehe

If he wins the Masters and nothing else (which very well could happen), I look forward to hearing from a few on here that evidently read only parts of posts and do not see just how often some are agreeing with them, yet jsut do not see how others can be subjective in sports.

Reactions: TC

Does he even know what his game is right now? Maybe a new venue would set up well for his current game whatever that is. If he doesn't play more tourneys and try and get back into golf shape he won't win again for a while.

Does he even know what his game is right now? Maybe a new venue would set up well for his current game whatever that is. If he doesn't play more tourneys and try and get back into golf shape he won't win again for a while.

Agreed - I mean really, could it get any worse?

Agreed - I mean really, could it get any worse?

Let's wait until his next tournament to answer that! hehehe

I mean, it's been getting worse, so yeah, I think it could get more worse.

Back