Wilson Staff Di11 Irons Review Thread

I can't believe I haven't seenthis yet! Ron, I'm liking the distance increase with these. I also like hearing that the lightness of the shaft seems to be helping as well. Do you feel the shaft flexing differently than the steel shafts you had at all throughout the swing or at impact? I'm really digging the looks. Keep up the good work!

Okay First impressions after a couple of hours on the range. These really do make a big difference in distance. I hit about 200 balls with them this afternoon and here are some preliminary results.

I hit my current irons like this:

4I-160
5I-145
6I-135
7I-130
8I-115
9I-105
PW-70
GW-85

With the Di11's I'm hitting like this:

4I-180
5I-165
6I-155
7I-140
8I-130
9I-120
PW-110
GW-90

I added 10-20 yards to my carry with these. Even if they were the ugliest irons in the world, and they are not by a long shot, I would switch to these in a hot second to add that kind of yardage!
Even shots missed off the toe or heel, still got better yardage for the most part than my current irons.

I'm pretty sure the 1/2&1/2 shaft has increased my club head speed due to the lightness of the club. It's just completely effortless swinging these.
Some of the other testers mentioned some concern with the grips, I had none myself. These grips are very servicable for me, and I like the grooved design in the grip it makes it really easy to "Feel" when your grip is off.

I'm planning on taking tomorrow afternoon off and going to play a round with these to really give them a good going over. I plan to work the course so that I will be left with a lot of iron shots. I'm going to be very surprised if I don't start breaking 100 consistently with these starting tomorrow.

thats awesome Ron, I am glad you are already loving them and that they have given you some added distance!!

Dang Ron, an extra 20 yards? Great initial thoughts!

Thats great you could work the lower shot with these irons. I love the feedback you all are giving. I would love to have that kind of confidence in my 4i.

Alright, played another round with the Di11's yesterday and it was great, 41 front, 40 back (81) and my ball striking again with these irons is incredible. It was a very windy day (25 mph winds) and cold again, so I thought this was a good test of the clubs ball flight. Distance is long as we have all noted but my question yesterday is could I flight these lower or higher with the wind. My first chance came on the second hole my 3rd shot into a long par 5, I had 150 left, into the wind, and I thought that with that wind if I hit a standard 8 iron I would fly the green so lets try to get a nine up into the wind and let it go, beautiful, pin high and the ball just flew for ever. The next hole was a shorter par 4 into the wind and I layed up to 150 on purpose so I could try a knockdown into the wind, pulled a 7 iron and with a 3/4 backswing and short follow through I had a nice lower ball flight into the green. The ball flight was still higher than you would get with a knock down shot with most irons but it cut through the wind nicely. Cross winds were interesting to say the least today, and I tried both knockdowns, draws against the wind, playing the wind and fades against the wind. The Di11's performed great everytime doing exactly what I wanted them to even if it didn't work out every time. The biggest surprise for me was on a 185 yard par 3 over water, short is death, but long is ok, so the normal play for me would be a choke down hybrid. Since this is a test I thought I would man up and hit the 4 iron, which is rarely the most consistent club for me, but I have been hitting it ok on the range so here we go. Flushed, best 4 iron shot I have ever hit, ended up pin high with a 4 foot putt for birdie...which I missed but thats not the point. I wouldn't try this shot everyday but to know its in the bag is amazing. I am going to the range again today to work on these beauties.

Thats great you could work the lower shot with these irons. I love the feedback you all are giving. I would love to have that kind of confidence in my 4i.

could be a good iron for you Yoccos

I agree and I've added this one to my ponder list. Extremely interested in the half and half shaft. I'm looking to go light haha.

could be a good iron for you Yoccos

These irons look great, I'm happy to see the tester's seeing lots of positives. Before I bought the x-22's in my bag I had looked at the di9's and was very tempted. I just couldnt find anywhere to hit them. Needless to say after I bought the x22's I happened into a place that had the di9's and after swinging them it made me regret the x22's a little bit.

A few more thoughts before I head out for my noon tee time.

Looks: These clubs prove you don't have to play a beastly looking club to get the forgivness you want. These clubs are sleek and very stylish. The top line is much slimmer than I was expecting, not quite the sharkfin look of a blade but definatley not the thick garden spade look that most game improvement clubs have. The black, chrome and red cavity is sexy and eye catching, but you really don't see it from address unless you are using an 8I-Wedge and I really find the way they echo the color scheme in the shaft of the half and half very attractive.

The half and half shaft really provides some snap. Hard to explain, but it's almost like you're holding a snake that is coiling to strike. There is almost a spring like tension in the shaft as you begin your downstroke. I'll be paying more attention to this today in hopes of providing a better description.

More after I play today.

I can't wait to hear more about this shaft!!!!!

A few more thoughts before I head out for my noon tee time.

Looks: These clubs prove you don't have to play a beastly looking club to get the forgivness you want. These clubs are sleek and very stylish. The top line is much slimmer than I was expecting, not quite the sharkfin look of a blade but definatley not the thick garden spade look that most game improvement clubs have. The black, chrome and red cavity is sexy and eye catching, but you really don't see it from address unless you are using an 8I-Wedge and I really find the way they echo the color scheme in the shaft of the half and half very attractive.

The half and half shaft really provides some snap. Hard to explain, but it's almost like you're holding a snake that is coiling to strike. There is almost a spring like tension in the shaft as you begin your downstroke. I'll be paying more attention to this today in hopes of providing a better description.
More after I play today.

Good luck out there with the new sticks Ron, look forward to hearing about it later.

Just read through this whole thread. Thanks for the reviews. I've added these to my list of clubs to give a try. The 1/2 and 1/2 shafts are interesting.

Great initial thouhgts Ron and CB....looking forward to following everyone's thoughts as these get hit more and more

Just got back in from playing 18. Let me just say this, Last round pre-Di11's shot 112 and a 109 the round prior to that. Today I shot a 96.
I need a little time to gather my thoughts and get some dinner in me and then I'll do a full write up, but let me leave this for now with this: These are some seriously bad mofo's

Just got back in from playing 18. Let me just say this, Last round pre-Di11's shot 112 and a 109 the round prior to that. Today I shot a 96.
I need a little time to gather my thoughts and get some dinner in me and then I'll do a full write up, but let me leave this for now with this: These are some seriously bad mofo's

hahaha....glad you like em!! Man, you are just shavin strokes left and right!

Crazy Ron, first round out with new irons and you break 100, thats great!

haha! I love it Ron!!!!! Love it!

Way to go buddy, you said you'd break 100 and you already did. Look out 80's, here comes Ron and his Di11's.

That is incredible. So I think that so far these irons are a universal hit! I think I am done with my honeymoon phase with these bad boys. I'm going to start demanding some more out of them. Can't wait to hear about the round Ron

Serious improvement there now man. Great job.

Magic sticks!! wtg Ron!

I want to add something to this thread. The testers are BRINGING IT!

Incredible job with all the coverage so far and I cannot wait to hear more from everybody. I know from testing these myself in small doses just how good these things can be. Great stuff everybody.

Wow, good to hear Ron. On my way out for pool, but can't wait to hear all about it. You better slow down there buddy, you'll be tough on the Colorado trip!

Posted from my BlackBerry using BerryBlab

Nice job people! I'm loving what I'm hearing so far about these irons.

Ron, please add some commentary on how the half and half worked for you during this first round of golf if you can.

I'm very interested in trying out these irons but they are nearly impossible to demo for me. I haven't seen too much feedback on non-standard shots with these clubs. I get that they go high, long and straight but I hit full irons about 50% of the time (at most) and a great deal of the time I hit 3/4 knockdown shots to fly a lower trajectory. I don't work the ball left at all and I'll fade upon occasion. Anyway, I'm overmatched with my MP-52s. I'm a solid bogey golfer and I'm in the 80s far more than over 90 and my irons are okay -- distance is weak but direction control is very good (of course, chipping and short pitches bite). One thing that I do like about the 52s is the consistency and control. If I make similar swings then I get very, very consistent results and they are easy to trap for a 150 yard knockdown. Can you do anything else with the Di11s regarding trajectory control? With consistent swings do they have consistent performance? Has anyone tried them for chips and runners? The wide sole makes me a bit nervous about how they'd perform in these other than full shot scenarios.

That said, I will be picking up a replacement for my Mizzys shortly and it will be done without too much club trial and the contenders are the usual suspects: Burner 2.0, JPX-800, CG16 and maybe the Di11. I like the idea of playing Wilsons for sentimental reasons if the performance is there. I'm not a big hitter, btw, 52 years old and my 6i SS with the -52s is about 85 with a more shallow swing plane and a tendency to early release.

Just some thoughts on my range session today with the Di11's. I was mostly working on my driver and hybrid play today but hit about 45 balls with the irons. The lightweight uniflex shaft is fantastic, and really good looking with its stepless design. You can feel the clubhead throughout the swing, and even though I think they lend themselves to an even tempo swing, I went after a couple today and the shaft more than held up with some great distance. I find I am hitting the center of the clubface with these more often than I normally do and I attribute that to the confidence I have that if I miss the center of the face, I'm still going to end up with a good shot. Looking forward to your thoughts tonight Ron, especially on the half and half shafts.

I want to add something to this thread. The testers are BRINGING IT!

Incredible job with all the coverage so far and I cannot wait to hear more from everybody. I know from testing these myself in small doses just how good these things can be. Great stuff everybody.

As one of the testers I really appreciate that JB. I know in my case I was really worried that I would not be up to the task. I have thus far had a great time and hopefully can start putting these irons through the ringer. Heck I just want to keep up with CB. Low 80's each round is sick!

Back