Differences between tour golf and amateur golf players

I had the privilege of playing college golf on scholarship. I've shot 65 a couple times. I used to think that if someone gave me $300K and said you've got a year to get ready, go play the tour next year, that I could do it. But, then, after graduating college, I attended my first PGA Tour event, The Byron Nelson, back in '91. I sat on the range and watched Tom Watson and Tom Purtzer, as well as a few others hit balls, and I thought to myself, "I have no business being on the same golf course with these guys".

The talent level is so far beyond a "scratch" golfer, it is unreal. These guys hit a drive 300+ yards and land the ball, on a consistent basis, within a couple of yards of each other. If you even took the 200th ranked player on tour and said hit 10 shots with your 5-iron and flight them all the same, there would be so much overlap, and such little shot dispersion, it is unreal.

And the shortgames are amazing. They absolutely think they are going to make everything, without a doubt. We laugh when we see them on TV making funny faces after a miss. But, a lot of that has to do with how confident they are in their chipping and putting. For the most part, these guys even expect to make their bunker shots.

I lived in Augusta, Ga for 13 years. I was a member of a course called Green Acres for a few years. Slamming Sam knows the course I am referring to. Just a simple course with not a whole lot going for it. I had a teenager who for some reason took to playing golf with me, so I had the opportunity to play a few years with him. This guy was unreal with a golf club. He set two course records in Augusta with a 63 at Green Meadows & 61 at Goshen Plantation. I'm not sure if either of these two courses are even open now. Sam or littlepingman would know. Anyways this young man was so good he made Parade All-American as a High School Golfer! I caddied for him in two city amateur chamionships. The young man had some serious game. He tried to make it on the mini tours in Florida and eventually gave up. He did win two events but living out of a car and playing different courses every week is a tough business. It also cost him entry fees and his Dad was not well to do. Without a sponsor it just got too much so he dropped off the mini tours and eventually did made it as a Class A PGA Professional. His name was David Usry and one hell of a golfer. Being a great amateur is not in the same neighborhood. Oh and for those that mentioned all you have to do is practice eight hours a day, have a caddy etc. David was born with awesome talent, practiced everyday and could not make it so that speaks volumes. I had a chance to see a child golf prodigy and it was truly an experience I will never forget. Now I really appreciate the guys who make a living on the PGA Tour!

Even if I could practice enough (plus got a huge infusion of skill) and was able to shoot what they shoot on the courses they play from the tees they play. I would still not be able to do it with all those people lining the fairways and tee box watching my every move, knowing they are going to scream that stupid "get in the hole!!!" as soon as I hit the ball (and sometimes before)

I'm pretty sure I read one of the most hilarious posts every posted on the internet right here in this thread.

I would have to agree with the thoughts in this thread. The pros are amazing. They have a special talent that some of us just don't have. Don't get me wrong they work their butts off with practice but even if u took the average golfer and he practiced for 12 hours a day for a year, while it would vastly improve our games, we would not be tour ready. Heck I don't think we would be mini tour ready. It's like that in any sport. We all know some guys that were great local guys in any sport - basketball, football, baseball, tennis, golf whatever that dominated in high school. They might have had some success in college but that level of competition increases exponentially as u go up the ranks in any sport. They get paid to play the game for a reason.

I remember being at the US Open at winged foot on Sunday when Phil lost the tourney. I do not remember who it was but there was a par 4 that the usga had the placed the pin up enticing guys to drive the green. Hole was only 315 yards which is nothing for those guys. Now mind you there are bunkers around the green and the rough was like nothing I had ever seen. Player misses the green and is right in the rough. He skulled his next shot across the green where his playing partners caddy had to jump out of the way. He then had a downhill bunker shot that there was no way he could stop the ball on the putting surface. So now he is off the front of the green lying 3. I was thinking man I have been there several times and it was refreshing to the crowd to see a pro struggle the way we have before. Difference was he chipped in for par on the next shot. I would have had at least a double.

That put it all in perspective for me. Bad days for those guys are a few over par. Those are the days we can tell u every shot from the round. Different league - them and us.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

I always find these discussions intriguing. Most would never think they can play the game like Kobe. Or that we could pitch like Doc Halladay. Or that we could hit like Evan Longoria. Or that we could serve like Sampras. Throw passes like Manning. Yet for some reason in golf, we all believe that we are playing the same game because we use the equipment, walk on the same grass, etc... (i dont mean this negatively)

We are not even playing in the same league. Scratch golfers still are no where near what these guys do week in and week out and what they are capable of doing. They are the best of the best and the things they can do with the ball and club is simply unimaginable to most.

Having spent some time both on the range and course with many tour players both at tournaments and locally I can say without a shadow of a doubt, that these players are on another planet!

I'm pretty sure I read one of the most hilarious posts every posted on the internet right here in this thread.

Psychic Hawk! I haven't even posted yet!

The differences are staggering. I don't think a single member of the PGA Tour could take me in a beer drinking contest. They'd need to practice 12 hours a day for a whole year to even have a shot. Even then, it comes down to the mental game. Do they get up to go leak before I do? Do they use the bar stool or the couch? The short game is important too. Do they have a short after every beer, or every 2nd beer?
Years of dedication and experience are difficult to replicate for just any wannabes.

I always find these discussions intriguing. Most would never think they can play the game like Kobe. Or that we could pitch like Doc Halladay. Or that we could hit like Evan Longoria. Or that we could serve like Sampras. Throw passes like Manning. Yet for some reason in golf, we all believe that we are playing the same game because we use the equipment, walk on the same grass, etc... (i dont mean this negatively)

We are not even playing in the same league. Scratch golfers still are no where near what these guys do week in and week out and what they are capable of doing. They are the best of the best and the things they can do with the ball and club is simply unimaginable to most.

Having spent some time both on the range and course with many tour players both at tournaments and locally I can say without a shadow of a doubt, that these players are on another planet!

Agreed. It's a whole different experience what they do.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

Doc Halladay...haha

I agree JB, there is a reason why there are so few that make it on the tour. There are as many guys on tour as make up 2 football teams. Think about those odds of getting big in golf

Psychic Hawk! I haven't even posted yet!

The differences are staggering. I don't think a single member of the PGA Tour could take me in a beer drinking contest. They'd need to practice 12 hours a day for a whole year to even have a shot. Even then, it comes down to the mental game. Do they get up to go leak before I do? Do they use the bar stool or the couch? The short game is important too. Do they have a short after every beer, or every 2nd beer?
Years of dedication and experience are difficult to replicate for just any wannabes.

Niiice!

I lived in Augusta, Ga for 13 years. I was a member of a course called Green Acres for a few years. Slamming Sam knows the course I am referring to. Just a simple course with not a whole lot going for it. I had a teenager who for some reason took to playing golf with me, so I had the opportunity to play a few years with him. This guy was unreal with a golf club. He set two course records in Augusta with a 63 at Green Meadows & 61 at Goshen Plantation. I'm not sure if either of these two courses are even open now. Sam or littlepingman would know. Anyways this young man was so good he made Parade All-American as a High School Golfer! I caddied for him in two city amateur chamionships. The young man had some serious game. He tried to make it on the mini tours in Florida and eventually gave up. He did win two events but living out of a car and playing different courses every week is a tough business. It also cost him entry fees and his Dad was not well to do. Without a sponsor it just got too much so he dropped off the mini tours and eventually did made it as a Class A PGA Professional. His name was David Usry and one hell of a golfer. Being a great amateur is not in the same neighborhood. Oh and for those that mentioned all you have to do is practice eight hours a day, have a caddy etc. David was born with awesome talent, practiced everyday and could not make it so that speaks volumes. I had a chance to see a child golf prodigy and it was truly an experience I will never forget. Now I really appreciate the guys who make a living on the PGA Tour!

Click on link below to view info on my past friend David Usry who Slamming Sam knew as well. I played tons of golf with this guy and I just had no doubt he would make it on the PGA Tour.

http://www.findalesson.com/profiles/Usryprofile.htm

Well said!

I took lessons many years ago from a young guy who was working towards the tour. I wittnessed that guy hit some of the most amazing shots I'd ever dreamed about, time and time again.

He had backing from quite a few wealthy people who lived in Missouri, Oklahoma and Kansas, just needed to get good enough.

I've never seen him since. I guess I'm saying that what we think is incredible is standard or below to the average tour player. Amazing stuff they can do with a little white ball.

Posted from my BlackBerry using BerryBlab

My brother in law's family all carry single digit's; one of them is a scratch and failed his q school qualifier by a few spots. (think you have to finish in the top 4 or something to make the nationwide tour? i really dont know; if i EVER got that close ill google it LOL)

watching them play - and talking to him about a casual round, and what its like to compete for real; not just to try and beat your buddy. Its just like night and day. Like it has been mentioned- anyone can play their own course and shoot pretty good scores - but they wont have those same scores at a course they have never played IMO. You learn things playing the same holes over and over.. Like where to hit your approaches - what side of the fairway is good; etc etc...

They have the mental game, the putting game, hell every aspect of it - and they play against the best --.01% of golfers in the world.

To even carry +1 handicap or a +2 is amazing - and i think you either have that competitive drive or spirit - the will to win; or you dont. Some know they dont. Some know they do.

just my opinions, ive never spoken with a tour player so all i can compare to is how i play - compared to my brother in law, a scratch... and its like watching a magician. You are like how the hell did you do that...
and then they watch the pros and are just as impressed. Like wow i couldnt make that shot with 10 tries. And you think seriously?!?!

ok im rambling so ill quit now.

I'm fortunate in that I'm seeing a future pro in the making. She's a girl at our practice facility that just turned 13. She's won a bunch of tournaments (some international one), and is a plus HI. For the past two years she has played in the Deutschebank ProAm. In 2009 she was paired with Camillo Villegas and he was amazed at her ability. Last year she was paired with Anthony Kim. She needed to make birdie on the last whole for their team to beat team Lucas Glover. She knocked her approach 10 feet past the hole, it spun back 15 feet and she made the putt. AK's coach told her father that she's the real deal and definitely has the talent to make it on tour.

She played in a tournament last summer at age 12 and a D1 coach was following one of his players, who she happened to be paired with. He looked at her father at the end of the match and said the 12 year old would be number two on his team (a D1 school) right now.

I play golf with her occasionally and her skills are amazing. I've seen her hit a 3-wood 185 yards out of a fairway bunker to 15 feet of the pin. She hits her drives between 240 and 250, has a great iron and short game, and is a great putter. She's a little thing to boot. This past December she won an international tournament at Doral by six shots. Her father is her only teacher and he's self-taught. I take the occasional lesson from him.

Totally agree. I got to play with Overton and it was unreal. It's not the distance, it's their accuracy, consistency, short-game, and putting. Those four aspects so far exceed the levels of any amateurs it's crazy.

I'm fortunate in that I'm seeing a future pro in the making. She's a girl at our practice facility that just turned 13. She's won a bunch of tournaments (some international one), and is a plus HI. For the past two years she has played in the Deutschebank ProAm. In 2009 she was paired with Camillo Villegas and he was amazed at her ability. Last year she was paired with Anthony Kim. She needed to make birdie on the last whole for their team to beat team Lucas Glover. She knocked her approach 10 feet past the hole, it spun back 15 feet and she made the putt. AK's coach told her father that she's the real deal and definitely has the talent to make it on tour.

She played in a tournament last summer at age 12 and a D1 coach was following one of his players, who she happened to be paired with. He looked at her father at the end of the match and said the 12 year old would be number two on his team (a D1 school) right now.

I play golf with her occasionally and her skills are amazing. I've seen her hit a 3-wood 185 yards out of a fairway bunker to 15 feet of the pin. She hits her drives between 240 and 250, has a great iron and short game, and is a great putter. She's a little thing to boot. This past December she won an international tournament at Doral by six shots. Her father is her only teacher and he's self-taught. I take the occasional lesson from him.

And as good as she is, the chances of her becoming a successful LPGA player are slim.

And as good as she is, the chances of her becoming a successful LPGA player are slim.

Absolutely true. Perfect example. GG's old coach. Best shot maker I have ever seen. Grew up being a top amateur in the country. Winning junior tournaments all around the world. Still holds the 9 hole record at TPC Sawgrass with a 29.

He dinked around the mini tours and has qualified every now and then for an event. But never made it.

You just have to hope she can overcome the teenage years. Lots of thing creep into their heads when they reach a certain age. Great to hear though!

... The holes are so long on tour now and average par 3 is well over 200 yards and...

Really? The average par 3 on tour is over 200 yards? I would have guessed less for the "average".

Maybe. Paula Creamer was at our facility a couple of years ago and watched her hit balls and told her, "I'll see you in ten years."

Absolutely true. Perfect example. GG's old coach. Best shot maker I have ever seen. Grew up being a top amateur in the country. Winning junior tournaments all around the world. Still holds the 9 hole record at TPC Sawgrass with a 29.

He dinked around the mini tours and has qualified every now and then for an event. But never made it.
It happens. I wonder though if people can hit the ball that great if it's more mental at that point than anything else. This girl's ability to focus, her mental toughness, is remarkable.

You just have to hope she can overcome the teenage years. Lots of thing creep into their heads when they reach a certain age. Great to hear though!
She's really dedicated. Her father isn't one of "those" parents. She loves coming to the course and practicing. The other day I was hitting balls next to her and she was hitting a 6-iron. There was a nice little dime size circle on the face and I swear if there was a hulu hoop out there each shot would have landed in it.

I dont think anybody is doubting her ability sean. Nothing like that. Its just not always what it appears when it comes to the highest level. Im sure everybody would love to see her out there. Keep in mind that despite all the accolades and everything else, the percentages alone say other things.

Almost every single girl in the top 200 as well as on the mini tours were the BEST around as a junior.

I dont think anybody is doubting her ability sean. Nothing like that. Its just not always what it appears when it comes to the highest level. Im sure everybody would love to see her out there. Keep in mind that despite all the accolades and everything else, the percentages alone say other things.

Almost every single girl in the top 200 as well as on the mini tours were the BEST around as a junior.
I understand JB, and a lot can happen in a few years. The only example I can think of that comes to mind is Tom Tryon, and I'm sure there are others.

One other thing about her is her humbleness. You can ask her how she did in a tournament and she'll kind of shrug her shoulders and shyly say, "Okay," and it'll turn out she won. She never talks about her game, or this shot or that shot.

I understand JB, and a lot can happen in a few years. The only example I can think of that comes to mind is Tom Tryon, and I'm sure there are others.

One other thing about her is her humbleness. You can ask her how she did in a tournament and she'll kind of shrug her shoulders and shyly say, "Okay," and it'll turn out she won. She never talks about her game, or this shot or that shot.

I believe you mean Ty Tryon.

Like I said, every single player out there was the best junior in their area and a "phenom". And for every one that "makes it" there are hundreds that dont after being the "next big thing". Top talent is also finding their ways to academies such as the big few in FL where they are grooming talent like crazy. Its just a different world nowadays.

+2. Not doubting one bit and I really hope she makes it to the top one day. Sounds like she is on the way.

Back