Wilson Staff Di11 Irons Review Thread

I need to steal a few shots with this this weekend bro.....
Looking forward to getting these out Saturday for a round of golf and probably some driving range time on Sunday before Masters coverage starts.

So I got to hit these this morning. A little cold and rainy but I had a much better ball striking day today then my last few times. Still noticed that compared to a few other irons these give a lot more feedback on not so nice shots. But on pure hits these are so sweet. I don't think I will ever go back to traditional lofts. I love hitting 3/4 8 iron where I used to hit 7 iron. Here is a pic of the black part that is starting to rub off and I also got a nice ding on the 8 iron that I don't remember getting

I'm cleaning my clubs later today and I will post some pics of the wear. Most of the wear I am seeing is on the face of the club, more so than on any other irons I have played. Played 9 with these yesterday and 18 the day before, and my iron striking was hot and cold, but what helped me was the feedback I was getting from the clubs. You can feel that you hit the ball a few grooves too low, or that you were a little on the heel. This helped me with my ball striking though as I knew what was going on and could work on a fix. When you flush the ball though, you know, and it feels great.

So I got to hit these this morning. A little cold and rainy but I had a much better ball striking day today then my last few times. Still noticed that compared to a few other irons these give a lot more feedback on not so nice shots. But on pure hits these are so sweet. I don't think I will ever go back to traditional lofts. I love hitting 3/4 8 iron where I used to hit 7 iron. Here is a pic of the black part that is starting to rub off and I also got a nice ding on the 8 iron that I don't remember getting

My Ci9's have that same kinda black finish and it is wearing off in places too but, its not a big deal.

CB completely agree. I have never received this much feedback from an iron. Funny thing is I've played blades and I can't remember feeling every shot like I do with these. Smooth you are right. It is not a big deal. In fact I took a real nice gouge out of my 5 iron last weekend hitting off of a dirt path. Irons are meant to be beat up. But some people don't like that irons get marked up and I did want to put it out there that these irons do show wear.

CB completely agree. I have never received this much feedback from an iron. Funny thing is I've played blades and I can't remember feeling every shot like I do with these. Smooth you are right. It is not a big deal. In fact I took a real nice gouge out of my 5 iron last weekend hitting off of a dirt path. Irons are meant to be beat up. But some people don't like that irons get marked up and I did want to put it out there that these irons do show wear.

Thanks man, they do offer great feedback as you say, I can see some not likeing it but I do. Irons do need to be hit and take some abuse, I only take it so far, I wont hit if there are rocks I can hit and could actually damage the club.

Lol I will take a picture of the 5 iron. It is gouged. I hit the ball where it lies. I will move it only if there are visible rocks and I think I will hurt myself by swinging. I like the feedback as well. I can tell easily where I've hit the ball on the clubface with these which is really surprising since these are GI irons. These clubs will be hung up on the mantle after I use them to dispatch JB at PGA National. Wilson Staff will finally get that 62nd major.

Yea i completely agree CL everybody does need to know everything about them even the bad stuff i just meant that it didnt bother me but, i know that those things do bother some.

mi ci9s show wear fairly early also

From what I have read everyone has talked about the uniflex steel or half/half shafts. Has anyone hit the UST uniflex graphite shafts? Do they also play more stiff than regular and how do they react to different swing tempos/speeds.

well the snow is about finally gone up here...so i got a little excited and bagged the clubs...here is the before and after shot of my sun mountain bag with the 7's and 11's...notice in the second picture how the wedges are not so happy with the recent addition of the di11's to the bag...LOL

Even your Scotty looks down and out in that pic. Nice looking setup.

From what I have read everyone has talked about the uniflex steel or half/half shafts. Has anyone hit the UST uniflex graphite shafts? Do they also play more stiff than regular and how do they react to different swing tempos/speeds.

Sorry but I can't answer that question WM and I don't think anyone here got those shafts. I can say that I am really liking the Uniflex so far

Sorry but I can't answer that question WM and I don't think anyone here got those shafts. I can say that I am really liking the Uniflex so far

Ya sorry WM, none of the testers got that option, like CL I'm really liking the Uniflex in the steel.

I got a chance to take about 15 swings with the Di11 PW on Saturday thanks to OEM Kevin.

Well, there's no denying that these things are long. Very long. At least the PW. After getting used to the lighter, more flexible shaft and really slowing my transition (with the uniflex steel shaft), I started to hit some long bombs. The longest appeared to be carrying to about 165 yards. That's silly distance. Much of that is probably due to the super strong loft, but the ball flight was probably about as high as with my MC PW, so that's not really an issue in my book. A possible problem with these irons would be needing extra wedges to fill in the bottom of the bag.

Out of my first few shots I hit a couple out towards the toe and you can definitely feel it out there no problem.

One thing I noticed though, was I did not quite get the same, perfect cotton ball feel and "crack" sound on the well struck shots that I get with the MCs. They certainly didn't feel harsh or anything, but not as sweet as the MCs.

These appear to be another great option in the GI club category.... and should be included in anyones trial along side the Burner 2.0s, CG16s, S3s, etc... I'm looking forward to trying these all side by side at the THP demo day. It's great to have so many solid choices to choose from now.

Got a round of golf in with Hanks and golf4life this Saturday and overall I had good success with the Di11's. I wasnt having the best day around the greens but it wasnt something I could blame on the Di11's. I was getting off the tee much better and hitting the Di11's very well but still didnt score well. When I missed the green it was just a comedy of errors and bad putting that lead to season worst 49/52 for a 101. I was always in good position to par or bogey at worst but just had a terrible day from 100 yards and in. As far as the Di11's go they are still long, high and lacking in feel compared to other GI irons. Im a high ball hitter and I think this is another area that hurts me with the Di11's. They want to hit the ball high and I think Im losing some distance compared to the Burner 2.0's. But this isnt really something I can blame on the irons as much as my swing. They do tend to hit a high ball though.

I got a chance to take about 15 swings with the Di11 PW on Saturday thanks to OEM Kevin.

Well, there's no denying that these things are long. Very long. At least the PW. After getting used to the lighter, more flexible shaft and really slowing my transition (with the uniflex steel shaft), I started to hit some long bombs. The longest appeared to be carrying to about 165 yards. That's silly distance. Much of that is probably due to the super strong loft, but the ball flight was probably about as high as with my MC PW, so that's not really an issue in my book. A possible problem with these irons would be needing extra wedges to fill in the bottom of the bag.

Out of my first few shots I hit a couple out towards the toe and you can definitely feel it out there no problem.

One thing I noticed though, was I did not quite get the same, perfect cotton ball feel and "crack" sound on the well struck shots that I get with the MCs. They certainly didn't feel harsh or anything, but not as sweet as the MCs.

These appear to be another great option in the GI club category.... and should be included in anyones trial along side the Burner 2.0s, CG16s, S3s, etc... I'm looking forward to trying these all side by side at the THP demo day. It's great to have so many solid choices to choose from now.

165 yds with a PW. That's crazy distance. But I agree, you would need long-distance wedges as well to fill in that gap.

IA possible problem with these irons would be needing extra wedges to fill in the bottom of the bag.

165 yds with a PW. That's crazy distance. But I agree, you would need long-distance wedges as well to fill in that gap.

Or not take full swings with a PW.

I see so many talk about gaps, and I am still astonished that people could actually play golf before all of these lofts in wedges were made. :alien:

I see so many talk about gaps, and I am still astonished that people could actually play golf before all of these lofts in wedges were made. :alien:

I've actually found that playing with the wedges that are so long, has made me work really hard on 1/2, and 3/4 swing pitch shots, and I think my short game has improved because of it. The one problem that I might be having is going from the really long Di11 shafts, to my standard length wedge set. They just feel really short in my hands, and I'm really thinking about getting a half inch or so added to my SW and LW just so the set feels more consistant.

Back then you were a poser if you carried 3-4 wedges in favor of a 1 iron or 7 wood. Metal woods were for pansies and 60* wedges were for the weak.

So wish I didn't have my head stuck on an ultra custom fit this year or I would just get the Di11s.

Been reading THP for a while. Recently did a google search on Di11 and came across this thread. Amazing amount of info and great to see the Q and A responses and feedback. Hoping someone might be able to answer a question on differences between the Di11 and Ci9. Seems from the info the Di1's offer a pretty complete package. How do the Ci9's stack up against them on strengths and/or weaknesses? Thanks for any info that can be offered.

Been reading THP for a while. Recently did a google search on Di11 and came across this thread. Amazing amount of info and great to see the Q and A responses and feedback. Hoping someone might be able to answer a question on differences between the Di11 and Ci9. Seems from the info the Di1's offer a pretty complete package. How do the Ci9's stack up against them on strengths and/or weaknesses? Thanks for any info that can be offered.

Welcome to THP, I'm glad you have found our reviews helpful. I've only hit the Ci9's in a launch monitor at a golf store, so I can't really offer a comparison.

DCL I will look for some Ci9's to hit so maybe I can answer your question. Welcome to THP

I think they are very different irons. Smaller club head, less forgiving, weaker lofted, and really geared towards another player.

Back