Titleist ProV1 vs. Taylormade Penta

I just bought 3 dozen Pentas (buy two get one free). I had been playing the Blacks and Reds almost from the day they came out and when it came time to have to pick a different ball it was an easy decision to make. I found a Penta a few weeks ago and played it for two rounds and never noticed any problem with marks over and above what I would see on any ball that isn't a surlyn cover. I also think I was hitting it farther than the Black, as far as a ProV1 in fact. I hit ProV1s farther than anything else but they are more expensive and they have a little too much spin for me, once in a while a shot will balloon on me. The Blacks did not do that and I haven't noticed it with the Pentas either. I hit a tee shot with the Penta last weekend on a a 551 yard par 5 and had 210 left to the pin so the distance is pretty good I would say.

It's interesting to see everyones opinions coming in about these balls. I've mainly played with Titleist my whole life, but am interested in the new 5 layer concept.

The ProV1 is undoubtedly the most popular ball in golf and the Penta is coming out of the box strong. I hear a ton of great stuff about the Penta, but have been a ProV1 guy my entire golfing career. I've yet to play the Penta, but am interested. Have you guys played and compared both of these and what are your opinions. Any launch monitor numbers are awesome as well. Thanks in advance to all the great Hackers out there.

Lukey, I play both the Penta and the ProV1x. I consider the penta my usual ball and am pretty satisfied with it, but I will play the prov1x on occassion (particulalry when it is windy). I seem to hit the Penta a bit higher than the prov1x, so sometimes I will play the prov1x when I think conditions dictate so.

The Penta is my favorite ball. For me I get better distance than the V1 and it feels softer to me too. As far as durability I think they are about the same. I play a Z star more than the Penta just because to me its much more durable than either of the other 2 I mentioned. I think it just comes down to what works best for you.

I hit a tee shot with the Penta last weekend on a a 551 yard par 5 and had 210 left to the pin so the distance is pretty good I would say.

I'm guessing it had a number on it between 5 and 8.

Kevin

I just switched from the v1x to the penta myself. I like the pentas manners around the green much better.

Titleist has the higher numbers as well.

I'm a fan of the Penta. I prefer the ProV1X to the ProV1. I don't need all the spin and I lose some distance off the tee with the ProV1. Both great balls. For me, the Penta is both the X and V1 combined, a perfect mix for my game.

After reading this, I need to the Penta while it is on sale. My usual ball is ProV1x.

I've been playing TM balls since the TP Red. I switched because the ProV1x spun too much for me, and I couldn't make it more than 6 holes without having to switch to a new ball as the cover was shreaded (even less if I hit more than 1 wedge shot). While I prefer the TP Red to the Penta, the Penta is still a better ball for me due to lower driver spin and full iron spin. It has the feel around the greens as the Pro V, but definitely spins a little less on full shots. I usually switch balls after 9 holes, depending on how many wedge shots I hit.

I also play the Srixon Star X in the colder weather and real windy days as the cover is a little firmer and the ball seems to spin even less with the driver. The Srixon doesn't perform nearly as well around the green, but the ball is very durable.

I really like the ProV1x and also like the Penta. I get similar performance from both. Buy a sleeve of each, go out for a practice round late in the day and play 2 balls, (1 of each). By the end of the round you should know what you like.

i have tried the penta and found it similar to the pro v ,but its hard to switch to a new ball.especially when you have 8 doz pro v1's in the closet from x-mas

I know, but they're much harder to find around here. Both Golfsmith and Golf Galaxy near me have Pentas stacked by the numbers on the balls. The 5-8s spin more, fly farther, and are more durable.

Kevin
You are a trip. But of course they do. :)

I tried the e6 and it didn't seem to work for me so I went back to the ProV1. I did find a Penta last week and I will try that this weekend and let you know.

I have actually never done a thorough side by side test between the two. I am pretty loyal to the Penta mainly because of the feel off my putter, distance on drives, and spin around the green. I can also usually go 2-3 rounds before there are major scuffs on the ball. If it works, why change? ... (because something might work better... doh!)

Ive played both, too poor to afford either lol

I tried the e6 and it didn't seem to work for me so I went back to the ProV1. I did find a Penta last week and I will try that this weekend and let you know.

Awesome... Sounds good.

What is the biggest difference to you guys? Drivers, Irons, or Short Game?

What is the biggest difference to you guys? Drivers, Irons, or Short Game?

All three. I compress the ball beautifully on the big sticks and irons. I don't know why I hit it straighter to be honest. Maybe it's in my head, but it's been working so I won't complain.

To me, the ball just dies quicker for the short game. Not as good for bump n runs, but stops without much spin faster than any ball I've played. Once again, no formal testing here, but it's working for me around the greens, and I'll take it.

All three. I compress the ball beautifully on the big sticks and irons. I don't know why I hit it straighter to be honest. Maybe it's in my head, but it's been working so I won't complain.

To me, the ball just dies quicker for the short game. Not as good for bump n runs, but stops without much spin faster than any ball I've played. Once again, no formal testing here, but it's working for me around the greens, and I'll take it.

Awesome, thanks Thainer for your great input. I'm definitely gonna get my hands on some of these.

Sorry. Just to be clear, I'm talking about the titleist golf ball. Not the penta.

Ok, sorry I misunderstood you. The thing pushing me away from the ProV1 is the cover. I hate having to switch balls so frequently, especially when balls are so expensive.

To me, the penta is far worse than the ProV.
Ok, sorry I misunderstood you. The thing pushing me away from the ProV1 is the cover. I hate having to switch balls so frequently, especially when balls are so expensive.

When you get into golf balls like that though, they're all going to scuff. But the Pentas were right away. Titleists hold up better for long term use IMO.

I see from your signature you play the VR Forged wegdes. What kind of grooves to they have, or how do they compare to Vokey's because my Vokeys are particularly brutal to my golf balls.

Back