TT 95 vs. Nippon 950 and also with an inch extra length, grip wt. for swingweight -

Rummpd

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
I am considering changing out a set of R300 Dynamic Gold shafts (reg length) in a near new set of Mizuno MP52s i bought at a bargain (fabulous heads with great feel and reasonable forgiveness). My goal after some fittings with Mizuno and Titleist in the past is to go with a lightweight shaft for a 6 iron ss of about 82 (driver 98-102), mid bend point shaft but with some tip stiffness. I have heard really good things about both the Nippon 950s (except some concerns with tip softness on some posts) as well as the TT DG 95s. Thoughts on either of these two shafts? Both would save about 20 grams of weight and add some needed stiffness by going to the stiff flex.

Right now the clubs are d1 and feel wonderful and except for too soft a shaft the weight feels great. Here is where I am confused!

Seemingly, if I go an inch long I will on the one hand add swing weight with the extra length (4-6 sw based on what I can read by Wishon and others) but that will be counterbalanced somewhat my the lighter shaft. Therefore, am seeking advice on whether to stay with a standard weight grip, a heavier grip or a lighter grip like a Wynn to try to keep the swingweight if possible in the D1-D4 range while overall keeping the club lighter. Advice appreciated on grip (or plausible light backweight) options!

Finally, going to the TT site it also suggested the HL Gold shaft for me but that is not a real lightweight shaft and I do not want to hit the ball much higher than I already do but if others have shaft suggestions, I welcome them.

I have been searching the net also for reshafting a set of Mizuno's that I just purchased. Have you looked at the Nippon NS Pro 8950GH? They are a little stiffer and slightly heavier than the 950's and can be bought at Golfsmith of Golfworks. They sound like the solution for me in Nippon's. Every club I have swung with Nippon's in them have felt amazing. As for the swingweight question, have you tried any of the calculators online where you put in each component weight? Should get you a ballpark idea.

a link to one of those calculators would be great - will try to find on my own but if you have a favorite would be great!

Back