Following through on pitch shots?

sixdoubleo

Reaction score
Total beginner here trying to get the hang of pitch shots. I can hit full swing pitch shots. Basically hit them like my irons and we're good. Where I have trouble are the short ones.

On short half to three-quarter swing pitch shots of 10-25 yards, should I be following through? I find that if I follow through, I get all kinds of weirdness...from balls that travel 3 inches, to fast grounders that fly past the green. I just feel like I have zero control over what is going on if I follow through.

Therefore, I think I have developed what is likely a bad habit. I have found that by not following through, I can get good pitch shots.

Let me describe how I perform my pitch shot. Again, this would be any time I'm executing a 1/2 to 3/4 swing for shorter 10-25yd pitch shots. Usually 56 or 60 degree wedge.

• Ball is played relatively center of stance. Feet close together, left foot slightly back and open. Weight shifted to left side.
  • My hands are very much forward (a good 4-5 inches in front of the ball) and the club is leaning at a very extreme angle, with the face of the wedge nearly vertical against the ball..
  • I lock this wrist hinge throughout the entire swing and never release it.
  • I rotate back 1/2-3/4 swing depending on desired distance, and then just come back DOWN into the back of the ball in sort of a "chop" motion. The club head drives down into the ball, the ball pops up in the air, and the club head just continues down into the ground. I do not swing through the ball. I simply come down, the club stops at the ground and there is no follow through whatsoever.

I know this is wrong (I think?), but it's the only way I've found to have any type of consistency. When I do this, I get very good, consistent pitch shots.

But others I see are somehow executing a nice soft swing which looks like a softer version of their iron swing. Like I said, whenever I try to do that, I hit it fat, I hit it thin, I miss altogether, and have no control...everything that could go wrong goes wrong.

Do I HAVE to follow through? If this is working for me do I stick with it? Like I said, for full swing pitch shots, I hit it similar to an iron. But for the short stuff, I resort to my modified chop.

I'll try to get a video, but given my description, has anybody else done or currently do this? And any advice on how I can transition from this to a more "correct" pitch shot. I've taken lessons and we had a couple sessions on pitching, but it's just something I've never been able to grasp.

Any tips or advice would be appreciated!

Another good video

I play most pitch shots with the ball back in my stance, aim just left of the target and go. Full shots with wedges are played like any iron shot. I know my wedges well enough that a full shot will go XX number of yards, a 3/4 shot will go XX number of yards, 1/2 shot XX number of yards down to a 1/4 shot. Some shots require the face to really be opened wide to fly high and land soft. I'll do this if I need to pitch high over something.

Your back swing needs to go back to a point that will carry the ball a given distance, and you must follow thru fully. A full follow thru for me is where I get all the spin. Hands need to be forward at address as well. I want to hit pretty hard down on the ball to get max spin. If I want a shot to roll out a bit, I simply move my hands back a little. Following thru is key to any good pitch shot. If you de-cel thru the ball it is not going to go far.

Keep in mind also that all pitch shots do not have to be done with a wedge. I use anything from a 7 iron, 8 iron, 9 iron, PW, GW and SW around the greens and even do short pitch bump and runs from the fringe with one of my three hybrids depending on the distance.

I would recommend finding and working with a PGA teaching pro in your area.

Without a video its kind of hard to really know what you are doing but you definitely do not want to lock your wrist hinge. That sounds like you are playing very stiff. I try and stay very relaxed on pitch swings and focus on smooth tempo. I turn everything back together while cocking my wrists and then as I come through, my hands relase and continue to the finish. On shorter shots you don't need to get to a full finish but your follow through should be longer than your backswing.

The Mickelson DVDs on the short game are great, maybe check them out, they helped me.

The Mickelson DVDs on the short game are great, maybe check them out, they helped me.

+1...They are awesome videos

Back